America's favorite candy finally gaining traction in the Taiwanese market?

I think they have a good chance of survival, because peanut is already a dessert flavour here, and people love peanut butter here also. I had some peanut/peanut butter flavour tang yuan the other day and it was possibly even better than the normal ones.

But we have to wait and see, I gave a pack of reeses to a teacher that said she loved sweet stuff and she gave the typical ‘too sweet’ response.

Chocolate here sucks . It doesn’t taste like in Europe . Dunno about Reese’s , never tried the ones in America , but the ones here are bad, way too sweet .
Same with ice cream the imported ice cream taste so bad .

2 Likes

Funny I didn’t care too much for UK chocolate myself. America has fancy pants chocolate that’s expensive but pretty good

I don’t think the imported ice cream is terrible but it certainly doesn’t hold a candle to the best ice creams in America. Haagen das was never rated very high on my list to be honest

1 Like

Ah, got it.

Like the OP, I’m happy the peanut butter cups are here - they’re one of my favorites. I think the only other one that I miss is Coffee Crisp.

1 Like

I’ve only ever seen packs of three.

1 Like

I am disappointed because they gipped us by selling two in a pack when i saw them here. There are supposed to be three.

1 Like

My favorite chocolate in Germany/Europe is Kinder but here it tastes like shit. I guess they import the American version made with corn syrup and that’s why it tastes much worse?

Always bring back a huge pack of Kinder Choco-Bons from Europe.

Bad Marco! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

To be honest 2 is enough for me, they get a bit much after that, but they are nice when blended with vanilla ice-cream and fresh milk to make a milkshake.

Im one of the people who can taste sour milk/ vomit in some American chocolate so its a but off putting.
I know this is subjective and comes down to flavour memories, especially memories formed when your a child, so can’t really judge another’s taste as you didn’t live their life :wink:

Why Hershey's Chocolate Tastes Like ... Well, Vomit | HuffPost Life

Saying that I do wish they would introduce Starbars, to me its one of the best chocolate bars in the World, Universe, Multiverse and beyond.

Starbar - Wikipedia.

I’ve still never seen Reese’s at the 7-11s or Carrefour grocery stores I frequent. I did see them at Sogo’s supermarket a few years back but didn’t buy since they were expensive. But 2 months ago, I hit a goldmine at the Far Eastern Dept Store in Ximen where they had “snack size” bags for over 50% off and the 2-pack for NT39.

Eating them again brought back some good memories. Now the question is has anyone found Reese’s Pieces?

When I went back for CNY, I actually had to bring in some Reese’s from the US for my mom since that was her favorite… Wish it catches on.

1 Like

I’d love to see Three Musketeers or Milky Way or Starbursts or Jolly Ranchers. Maybe some good root beer like IBC or Bart’s.

1 Like

Only root beer you’ll find in Taiwan is heysong thing. I think I see a&w sometimes.

All these giant “food” corporations, likey Hersheys, Mars, Nestle, etc. can all go to hell if you ask me.

I get the enjoyment of eating sweet chocolaty stuff and I have nothing against it.

It’s just that these corporations basically produce well designed and highly addictive drugs, disguising the filth with artificial flavors, colors, packaging, and advertising campaigns.

If you enjoy sweet stuff, stay away from the big producers and support local chocolatiers who produce quality products and will not concoct something highly problematic in giant labs.

4 Likes

Well if they were making chocolate peanut butter cups I’d definitely buy them. Sadly they are not. At least no where I’ve ever seen

1 Like

Lol the problem is there’s no real local chocolatiers here. And the ones overseas aren’t big enough to import.

Probably the most “natural” or ethical chocolate you can get here is Tony’s, which they sell at Carrefours.

1 Like

There is actually a “chocolate scene” in Taiwan nowadays.

Not supermarket chocolate, of course.

Here is one seller (no endorsement of them, just an example of a local producer)

5 Likes

Actually if you go to bamboo lake, there’s a few restaurants up there, and they sell some really good hand made peanut candy.

You’ll need to take the S8 bus from shipai mrt station, or S9 from beitou mrt station to get there.

It’s also several degrees cooler up there compared to Taipei.

1 Like

Wrong. :roll: There’s A&W, as you already contradicted yourself with, which isn’t that hard to find in Carrefour and a few other places, and there’s also at least one other brand I’ve seen around like in the Southeast Asian stores (don’t remember the name and it’s not A&W, but it tastes pretty similar).

A&W is better than the junky Taiwanese sarsaparilla, but still bottom-tier as far as American brands go.