America's favorite candy finally gaining traction in the Taiwanese market?

In the last year or two I’ve noticed the slow but beautiful emergence of one of the greatest candy brands to ever grace this crazy topsy turvy saphire hued sphere; Reese’s Peanut butter cups.

At carrefour, the mini cups have not only become prevalent, they’ve even made the migratory journey away from the imported section and into the much more respectable candy isle. A few months back it even hit the Forumosa bulletin in the form of massive discounts at local Taipei stores.

Today, I’ve discovered they have been given the prestigious honors of hitting the impulse buy area of my local familymart (and even included the somewhat inferior but nonetheless still exquisite Resses wafer Stick Variant)

How likely, do you think, are these luscious and heart melting chocolatey-peanut buttery gifts to survive in Taiwan? Will they receive the accolades and appreciation they deserve? Or will they meet a tragic fate of negligence and snobbery due to their foreigness?

What new foreign concoctions do you think will come to this rugged potato-shaped rock next?

9 Likes

I’ve also seen them recently in 7-11. Both cups and sticks.

Not long. I’ve given Reeses to my wife and in-laws, and the reaction has always been “it’s too sweet”.

As another poster pointed out, most Taiwanese people don’t have a sweet tooth for desserts - despite nearly everything here (bread, mayonnaise, tea, etc) having sugar in it.

4 Likes

Speaking for myself, modest sweetness is great.

It’s the highly concentrated sugar that I don’t like, and is a reason why I don’t like American desserts.

5 Likes

I think the value proposition might be a problem too.

The price I saw in 7-11 was $49 for Reese’s Cups - which contains only 3 relatively small chocolates. They surely have a lower total weight and volume compared to other chocolate bars, plus alot of the inner-packaging is empty.

1 Like

I don’t understand how they can sell pretty much every other chocolate bar at convenience stores here, but for some reason Peanut Butter Cups is “too sweet”.

To me it’s no sweeter than a Snickers bar.

2 Likes

I find most Taiwanese beverages and desserts just as sweet as American ones.

Bubble tea, which is the main beverage here, is not any less sweet than Coke. Shaved ice, which is the main dessert here, is not any less sweet than a Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup.

1 Like

Not sure if 711 sells something different but usually packs are sold in groups of 2 cups. But they are quite filling and pretty dense. I feel far more satisfied eating two cups vrs one Snickers bar (unless it’s one of those king sized ones but I’ve never seen giant candy bars sold here)

Hershey has a monopoly on American chocolate /candy bars in Taiwan. Its no surprise their peanut butter cups are here and have been here for at least 5 years. They could be bought even in 711 5 years ago.

Id like to see other companies enter the market here, like Mars and others.

Im surprised See’s candy
has survived as long as it has here considering their outrageous prices in Taiwan.

1 Like

Thing is I like shaved ice because the sweetness is diluted with the unflavored ice at times .

1 Like

What do mean? Snickers is huge here, that’s not Hersheys owned it’s mars

You’re right, it’s 2. I haven’t had them for a while. This thread is tempting me to indulge…

Sure. But it appears smaller and therefore worse “CP value”.

Thinking about it, I’ve never ever seen a Taiwanese person eat a candy bar. Friends, family, work colleagues - they all eat cakes and snacks like cookies, but never a Snickers bar.

I’ve also never seen a Taiwanese adult buy a candy buy in a convenience store.

I saw them. Like, once, about 5 years ago. They promptly disappeared. I’d say they’ve reappeared for maybe 6 months now?

2 Likes

true…I guess more variety in bars…
3 musketeers
milkway
milkway midnight
mars bar
payday
etc

im not big into chocolate bars though…just on occasion.

1 Like

I saw them. Was horribly disappointed there were only two cups inside. I feel gipped.

But to be fair they sell it the same way in America

Oh man, I do like paydays

1 Like

Still? In Canada it became usually three in a package a while ago, as in several decades I think.

Although maybe with shrinkflation it’s reverted to two. I haven’t seen.

Coffee Crisp? Skor? Bounty (Thailand had those)? Big Turk? Eat More? Crispy Crunch? Mr. Big? Crunch (love those, with rice)?

Maybe I lost track of what people meant… I thought one person was disappointed Reeses were only sold in packs of two here, and another said that’s the way they’re sold in America. But in Canada they’ve been sold in packs of three for quite a long time.

1 Like

I was just responding to Canada, where we have all those great chocolate bars that will never come here!

1 Like