Amnesty International: Report 2005 on Taiwan

Amnesty International compiled its annual progress report on Taiwan’s human rights progress for 2004.
The summary for the report is quoted below.

[quote]Human rights reforms made little or no progress during 2004, despite pressure from non-governmental organizations and academics.
[/quote]
web.amnesty.org/report2005/twn-summary-eng

Who cares?

Have they any credibility left?

And I do mean LEFT.

Thank you JD Smith for your insightful response. Myself and Mr. Bo Teddards wrote (for free) the AI Country entry for this year’s report (although it got edited by the folks in London). Glad you took the time to read and comment on it.

take care,
Brian

Taiwan
President: Chen Shui-bian
Head of government: Yu Shyi-kun
Death penalty: retentionist

Covering events from January - December 2004

I’m not surprised…but why is this? Lack of concern in the government, or lack of call from the people? Or both? And how was the lack or progress measured? By which standards? Hmm, liberal-Western I bet.

[quote]Background

President Chen Shui-bian of the Democratic Progressive Party was narrowly re-elected in March. On the day before the elections, he and Vice-President Lu Hsiu-lien were shot at and slightly wounded in an incident which the opposition claimed had been staged. A coalition, led by the former ruling Kuomintang (Nationalist Party), narrowly retained control of the Legislative Yuan in December elections.[/quote]

Are you saying that someone’s human rights were denied in this? Maybe the publics’ human right to not be treated like morons.

[quote]Death penalty

The death penalty remained in effect for a range of crimes. Three executions were carried out by civilian authorities, continuing a downward trend.[/quote]

Aha…here we go, the death penalty. This IS what AI is all about right? Whipping its standard of capital punishment around the world. I’m sorry, but who does AI think they are? The moral majority?

Again, why? Instead of saying, “They didn’t do nothin,” what are the real reasons behind the lack of progress? Maybe the Yuan felt they were holding fast in troubled times. I don’t know, and from your report, I still don’t.

[quote]A draft law

I don’t disagree with the Amnesty International’s main point that, in general, little or no progress was made in human rights reforms in Taiwan in 2004. I also believe that it is important for someone to monitor progress made in this area.

AI makes its stance clear, it continually pushes for reforms and we know what they are pushing for. If it wasn’t for AI’s Taiwan 2004 report, I would be less aware of the lack of progress made in Taiwanese human rights reforms. According to G.I. Joe, “Knowledge is half the battle.”

I hope that all governments in the world can agree on some universal rights. Generally I believe most people cannot tolerate genocide or slavery in any nation on this earth. I hope that other human rights can also be considered universal.

I feel that women’s rights are important. UN Women’s Convention provides a basis by which women can realize equality and Saudi Arabia is not a party. It is unfair to condemn Taiwanese women who urge Taiwan’s government to implement something similar to the UN Women’s Convention.

Under current Taiwanese rules my child inherits my nationality solely because I’m a man (you’d better believe it). Taiwanese law does not allow equal rights to women with respect to the nationality of their children. Adopting the UN Women’s Convention would give this important right to my wife.

[quote]Thank you JD Smith for your insightful response. Myself and Mr. Bo Teddards wrote (for free) the AI Country entry for this year’s report (although it got edited by the folks in London). Glad you took the time to read and comment on it.

take care,
Brian[/quote]
So what parts were edited out?

[quote=“twocs”]II feel that women’s rights are important. UN Women’s Convention provides a basis by which women can realize equality and Saudi Arabia is not a party. It is unfair to condemn Taiwanese women who urge Taiwan’s government to implement something similar to the UN Women’s Convention.

Under current Taiwanese rules my child inherits my nationality solely because I’m a man (you’d better believe it). Taiwanese law does not allow equal rights to women with respect to the nationality of their children. Adopting the UN Women’s Convention would give this important right to my wife.[/quote]

Isn’t your information a bit out of date? Taiwan’s Nationality Law was changed in February 2000.

[quote=“Hartzell”][quote=“twocs”]II feel that women’s rights are important. UN Women’s Convention provides a basis by which women can realize equality and Saudi Arabia is not a party. It is unfair to condemn Taiwanese women who urge Taiwan’s government to implement something similar to the UN Women’s Convention.

Under current Taiwanese rules my child inherits my nationality solely because I’m a man (you’d better believe it). Taiwanese law does not allow equal rights to women with respect to the nationality of their children. Adopting the UN Women’s Convention would give this important right to my wife.[/quote]

Isn’t your information a bit out of date? Taiwan’s Nationality Law was changed in February 2000.[/quote]

I searched forumosa and realized you are right. If I have a child (foreign father, Taiwanese mother) he does become a Taiwanese citizen. That’s been true since 2000.

The difference between the UN Women’s Convention and Taiwan law in respect to children seems to be in naming a child.
UN Women’s Convention:
(g) The same personal rights as husband and wife, including the right to choose a family name, a profession and an occupation.
Taiwanese Law:
The order of birth is recorded according to the father’s part; even the father is a foreign national.

So what’s your point, Eric. Oh, I forgot, you’re the guy who claimed every aboriginal woman has been a child prostitute. Yes we all know, Taiwan is a dungeon for human rights on par with Saudi Arabia, Rwanda, and Algeria. Things have only gotten worse since martial law was lifted, haven’t they.

My point is:

[quote]Amnesty International compiled its annual progress report on Taiwan’s human rights progress for 2004.
The summary for the report is quoted below.
Quote:
Human rights reforms made little or no progress during 2004, despite pressure from non-governmental organizations and academics.

web.amnesty.org/report2005/twn-summary-eng[/quote]

Seems fairly straight forward to me but feel free to blame me for it if you wish.
Of course I did not write the report which is obvious by it

Who gives a rats arse what AI think. I’ve lived here 17 years and there have been many changes for the better.

This is a developing democracy. AI exaggerate a lot of their reports to get in the press… :loco: :loco:

We need one more thing though, A Gitmo of our own :smiley: :smiley:

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Who gives a rats arse what AI think. I’ve lived here 17 years and there have been many changes for the better.

This is a developing democracy. AI exaggerate a lot of their reports to get in the press… :loco: :loco:

We need one more thing though, A Gitmo of our own :smiley: :smiley:[/quote]

Yes, sentence the Chinese spies to sell goods on the open market in Shu Lin. :slight_smile: First millionaire gets his/her freedom…but then they get to choose to stay or go. :slight_smile:

The only way the human rights situation will improve is if the Kuomintang fucks off and dies.

LONG LIVE LIBERTY, EQUALITY, AND DEMOCRACY!

DOWN WITH USA AND CHINA!!!

[quote=“jj_frap”]The only way the human rights situation will improve is if the Kuomintang fucks off and dies.

DOWN WITH USA AND China!!![/quote]

Excuse me? You think Taiwan got its liberty and democracy because of Canada’s protection? Or was that the EU … :unamused:

knee-jerk reaction/judgement regarding Amnesty Int. is rediculous.

they have brought to light countless tragedies and aided in resolving conflicts.

i find it funny that the same folks that BLINDLY support the Bush machine feel it necessary to condemn any organization/group that supports human rights.

perhaps it’s because they prefer a world where human rights take a back-seat to profits and anglo-centrism???

would folks like jdsmith be more content if the folks working for AI handed out bibles and “christian identity” booklets???

Yeah, I did have to roll my eyes a bit when xiao Bush came out with the whole “the whole AI report on the US is crap” – he seems to believe them when they’re talking about other nations. Probably the whole report was in text, no pictures. :smiley: Complicates things for him.

[quote=“jj_frap”]The only way the human rights situation will improve is if the Kuomintang fucks off and dies.

DOWN WITH USA AND China!!![/quote]

Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life”…John Wayne.

[quote=“Hondu Grease”]knee-jerk reaction/judgement regarding Amnesty Int. is rediculous.

they have brought to light countless tragedies and aided in resolving conflicts.

I find it funny that the same folks that BLINDLY support the Bush machine feel it necessary to condemn any organization/group that supports human rights.

would folks like jdsmith be more content if the folks working for AI handed out bibles and “christian identity” booklets???[/quote]

Please tell me good sir, what are folks like jdsmith like? Maybe you should strap your knee down as well.

And I find it ironic that you poo-poo Anglo-centric Christianity and then expect human rights to be a cause of concern in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. HA

Seems to me that AI is handing out the conversion booklets with the list of dos and don’ts, and what do you feel those booklets preach: Doaism? Confucianism? Show me the long list you must have of human rights champions in Africa and Asia. Show me the governments that have sought human rights changes and succeeded. I bet I can find a few in the western hemisphere.

Sure, and please show me a poor country that a system of human rights that AI would support as “The Correct Way.” It also seems to me that the poorer countries have the least effective governments, the most blatant corruption, and the worst record of human rights. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Where do you imagine the progress can come from? The UN. OK, fine, who funds the UN? Well, gosh, richer Western countries, DESPITE their being evil money grubbers. How much do those rich Arab countries do to promote human rights in the world?

I do not blindly support the Bush Administration, and I am actually quite critical of many things it has done…yet human rights groups who care more about tackling Goliath than laying the smackdown on the little baddies around the world are somewhat hypcritcal.

Large scale change comes from money, education comes from money, jobs and infrastructure come from money.

You do the math.

[quote]It also seems to me that the poorer countries have the least effective governments, the most blatant corruption, and the worst record of human rights. Correct me if I’m wrong.
[/quote]
How would you define Taiwan?

[quote=“Eric W. Lier”][quote]It also seems to me that the poorer countries have the least effective governments, the most blatant corruption, and the worst record of human rights. Correct me if I’m wrong.
[/quote]
How would you define Taiwan?[/quote]

Taiwan is richer than many countries.
It’s government is for the most part effective.
Governmental corruption is bad, but not overwhelming.
Human rights: eh, no ethnic cleansing;no stoning of women

All in all,not bad, could be better.