Amore Pizzeria in Taipei

[strike]I’ve been to the one in Ximending, northeast side of the parking lot. Nothing NY about it. It’s okay.[/strike]

EDIT: Whoops. Thinking of another place, not Amore.

I hate to be impolite here, especially with such distinguished posters, but…what are you guys talking about?

Guy

Pizza place on Xinhai loo, that is moving to Zhongxiao Dunhua loo-ko area.

OK pizza
really good Sicilian pizza
awesome stromboli

Yes indeed! I would add this to DD’s list: underrated pasta as well. Recommended!

It was the mysterious detour to “the one in Ximending” mentioned above that threw me off.

Guy

Hmmm got Amore confused with another place. Still got to get over there! Maybe this week.

Contrary to what was posted here, they’re not open yet. I spoke with someone there yesterday, and he said he hoped to be open on Friday or Saturday.

Things change . But there was a small and very nice love hotel on Chang Chun very close to Chong Shan N. RD. that had an italian restaurant on the second floor that was pretty awesome. They had pizza in a real wood burning oven. Was real good.

Maybe its still there?
Was called the White House hotel. And I suspect it may have been haunted as twice i have stayed there some electronics went off and on. Course that may just have been bad wiring, who knows.

But it was a great little hotel with a real nice italian restaurant on the second floor.

If you walk by that area, have a look.

Amore’s new location in the East District is now definitely open. I stopped by for a nice lunch there on Thursday and had a chance to chat with James. While the space is a bit more compact than the old location on Xinhai road, the menu appears unchanged. As always, it’s well worth a visit.

Guy

Amore by NTU is closed permanently. It is being turned into a beef noodle place.

How about the new location?

How about the new location?[/quote]
Don’t know about the other location?
I just passed by the one by NTU. It is being remodeled for beef noodle shop.

The “new” place on the East Side has been in business for well over a year. I’ve eaten there several times and was satiated every time. :lick:

Amore’s first location–on Xinhai Road, and long closed–is now a noodle shop. This part is clear.

James did indeed move the shop to the East District–in an alley just off the northwest quandrant of Zhongxiao Dunhua–where some of you may have tried his fine fare. That was his second location in Taipei.

But he’s now setting up his third location (i.e. moving, not expanding): he’s coming back to the NTU area, but this time on Roosevelt Road, directly across from NTU’s Second Student Activity Center (that big complex with the Subway, Ponderosa, etc). The previous tenant operated a beef noodle shop, so perhaps that’s why there’s some confusion here. But this indeed will be Amore’s new location. If I get the address–and if I see it is open!–I’ll be back to let everyone know. :slight_smile:

Guy

I swung by Amore’s new location in Gongguan earlier this evening, and ran into James, who is hard at work getting the space ready. Apparently the second floor (the dining area) is good to go; the kitchen space down below could politely be described as a work in progress.

According to James, they’re aiming to open this Friday April 24! For folks who are interested, here are the coordinates:

New address: 140, Section 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei City (羅斯福路四段140號)
Telephone: 02-2362-0808

As I mentioned in a previous post, the new location is directly across the road from NTU’s Second Student Activity Center, the big complex with the Subway, Ponderosa, etc. If you’re approaching from the Tingzhou Road side, it’s almost directly in line with (and steps away from) the Cineplex.

Guy

Unless I went to the wrong 140 Roosevelt, it was closed on April 24.

This evening, I stopped by Amore’s new location on Roosevelt Road Section 4 close to Gongguan Station across from NTU (exact address and phone number noted above). I was pleased to see they are now up and running! A quick glance at the menu indicates that prices are a bit higher than before but not at all unreasonable by current Taipei standards. I look forward to giving it a try. I’ll report back when I can!

Guy

I had an awesome meal at Amore tonight. James’s new Gongguan location seems to be working out, with an open kitchen and pizza oven next to the entrance, and some simple seating in the back and upstairs, where there seems to be lots of room. For those of you who have been to Amore, you’ll know that James serves really solid food: no nonsense, large portions, big flavours. The pizzas are fine, the strombolis are ridiculous. I’m quite partial to the pastas too (which come with a complementary side salad, and bread), especially his spaghettini with marinara sauce. If you’re in the Gongguan area, stop in and have look. For old school food, James’s cooking is hard to beat!

Guy

Thanks for heads up Guy. I passed by this place, it’s quite unusual and certainly seems to be very Italian-American style. Pricing wasn’t too cheap given the ambience given from the place (basic looking), but it’s certainly hard to find ‘cheap’ these days in Taipei (I noticed prices have gone up a fair bit since moving back after 4 years away and western and foreign food always charges a premium it seems…).
I think they have way too many menu items though, don’t know how they would handle that. I mean they are charging 300-600 NTD for a pizza, but I couldn’t see much effort at decor…well they probably think to themselves…if Pizza Hut and Dominoes could do it… …
If there was a place that charged 100 NTD per slice for NY style pizza…yeah I’d be on it (hint last time I was in NYC Tommy probably still lived in Taiwan :whistle: ).
I initially confused it with a place called Amigo’s a few doors up, don’t know if anybody has tried there?

Yup, in Taipei City prices have gone up. The sky high property prices have put pressure on renters in prime locations, food prices have gone up… The only ones that seem to have been able to block off some of these pressures are shopkeepers who own the shop properties, who don’t hire staff, etc. But overall the days in which Taipei could be called “cheap” are in my view long gone.

[quote]I think they have way too many menu items though, don’t know how they would handle that. I mean they are charging 300-600 NTD for a pizza, but I couldn’t see much effort at decor…well they probably think to themselves…if Pizza Hut and Dominoes could do it… …
If there was a place that charged 100 NTD per slice for NY style pizza…yeah I’d be on it (hint last time I was in NYC Tommy probably still lived in Taiwan :whistle: ).[/quote]

Yeah, it looks like there’s a lot of things going on with Amore’s menu. But in fact it’s not too complicated: basic pizzas, Sicilian pizzas (thick but iirc rather airy crust), strombolis (James’s forte), some salads, some pastas. He makes his own meat balls (as you’d expect)–but also his own sausage (which is pretty great), his own bread. It’s the kind of place where the effort has not gone into the decor but into the food.

Never been to Amigos. If someone has, they might start a new thread!

Guy

Today is the last day for Amore on Roosevelt Road near NTU. For any forumosans that have appreciated James’s amazing devotion over the years—from his start on Xinhai Road, to his East District interlude, to his space in Gongguan—this is your last chance. Enjoy!

Guy

4 Likes