Amore Pizzeria in Taipei

that is sad . very good pizza.

And even better stromboli. In Taipei, James’s food is one-of-a-kind.

Guy

And that’s where I met you years ago! Any idea where he’s moving to, if he’s in fact moving?

James is not moving. This is it!

Guy

Do you know why he is closing?

It’s the end of his run. After a full working life in the US, James relocated to Taiwan after the financial crises in 2009. He expected to keep at it for another decade—and to his credit he made it, finally finding the right location in Gongguan where his old-school American Italian food found a happy customer base.

If you’re in the neighbourhood, it’s last call!

Guy

2 Likes

I went. People there told me he was taking a break and will move to a new location after an unspecified amount of time.

I find it odd someone would just want to close up shop instead of selling the business and getting a healthy boost to retirement savings.

4 Likes

Got it. I guess we’ll await Amore 4.0!

Guy

2 Likes

It was pretty good! I’d buy the restaurant if he didnt wanna continue it anymore. Seemed to have a healthy following.

James finally hit the sweet spot with this third location in Gongguan. Before then, it was a struggle. Still it’s nice to see Taiwanese warm up to his food.

No one is going to mistake his cooking as trendy or up-to-date. But for an unapologetically old-school approach, it’s hard to beat!

Guy

4 Likes

Ah man, I used to go there quite often during my first year in Taipei, as I lived nearby, but haven’t been now in about 2.5 years. I dropped by tonight on the basis of this thread but was just a little too late for last orders.

James said he’d be open tomorrow afternoon/early evening for takeout only (which I’ll definitely try to make it there for this time!), and he also mentioned that he’d (or “they’d”, I forget) be opening a new location in “a few months”.

2 Likes

My god, I can’t believe people are still posting on this. I left Taiwan after a year in 2010, I believe. I was suddenly getting a bunch of emails from Forumosa and thought it was some kind of spam!

Miss Taiwan a lot and can’t wait to go back but my company isn’t hiring there for non-Chinese speakers right now!

6 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread! And hope you’re doing OK, wherever you are.

Guy

Branding, if he’s planning on starting it up again. If he sold the business, the new owner would have the name, probably recipes as well. It might even involve a non-compete agreement.
I used to leave near there but never tried it. I wish I had at least once, but it was too expensive so I never bothered.

Public service announcement:

7 Likes

“Your patronage is welcome” isn’t the most ringing motto, lol

2 Likes

But it does show—yet again—what a class act James is.

And: Amore’s awesome stromboli is back! : D

Guy

1 Like

Yes, absolutely. Have to go back soon!

Just finished my lunch there. Comfortable space, same great people, same great food.

The location though may be a bit tricky to find, especially when it’s not (yet) on google maps. If you remember the most recent location on Roosevelt Road, then go there, head down the lane running perpendicular to Roosevelt, and turn left at the first alley—Amore’s cheerful yellow sign will be immediately visible. It’s basically in line with old location, just in that alley running parallel to Roosevelt Road. If you hit Tingzhou Road, you’ve gone too far.

Enjoy!

Guy

5 Likes

Nice! But maybe a Google maps link would be even better (even if it is not there yet).

1 Like