Amore Pizzeria in Taipei

Oh, I remember this place. He’s running again? Poor guy keeps losing his leases due to greedy landlords.

I ate there a few times, pretty decent food.

James’s quality control is incredible. The taste is exactly as I remember it from Amore 1.0 on Xinhai Road!

Guy

His resilience is heart warming.

And stomach warming.

1 Like

This reads like a slogan :rofl:

Went there today and had a hearty meal that was perfect in this cold weather. The portions were bigger than I remembered. Couldn’t even finish a babyboli. The new location is just as @afterspivak described. The only thing I’d add is that it’s a stone’s throw from the movie theater.

1 Like

I finally went there this evening for a pizza (P9 - pepperoni, sausage, and meatballs). Pretty good! Good to see James again, too.

I did takeaway, but the inside looked a bit more spacious and open than the previous location - might head over for lunch at some point.

1 Like

Amore Pizza
No. 8號, Alley 6, Lane 136, Section 4, Roosevelt Rd, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, 100046
02 2362 0808

2 Likes

Yeah, the new location is actually on Google Maps now too - meant to mention that.

Following Andrew’s earlier helpful public service announcement, allow me to let hungry forumosans in Taipei know that Amore is and will be open every day during the lunar new year holiday, including tomorrow evening—the typically dangerously closed down lunar new year’s eve.

If you’re in Taipei’s Gongguan neighbourhood, or if you or people around you are otherwise jonesing for some American style Italian food, this could be your place. : D

Guy

2 Likes

Oh cool, thanks for the PSA! I was wondering about that yesterday actually, when I was contemplating getting a pizza on the way home prior to the holiday. Good to know they’ll still be open!

1 Like

The place was a good find when it was on Xinhai in that not a lot of other good places were around back then.

In Gongguan…not so good. The last time that I went, I had a water bottle in my hand.

“No outside food or drinks.” (in English)

“It’s just a water bottle.”

I finished off bottle and showed that it was empty.

“Ok.”

I started to go upstairs.

“You have to sit downstairs.”

“I have another two people coming and there aren’t any tables.”

“I’m not opening upstairs. You wait.”

I left.

There’s a lot better pizza places in Taipei operated by a lot more welcoming people.

It must have been a bad day.

James is very welcoming. The new space (there’s no upstairs now) is more open, more relaxing, at least to me, compared to the earlier shop that was directly on Roosevelt Road.

The drinks they sell are very reasonably priced. There’s no sense I’m being coerced or ripped off here.

If you’ve known James’s cooking since the Xinhai Road days, consider stopping by and giving Amore another chance. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

Guy

1 Like

A public service announcement: James has been working away at Amore (now open every day from 4:00 pm to 3:00 am!; also open for lunch on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays). With its open air kitchen facing the alley, it’s a perfect place for take out, or delivery if you favour Uber or the Panda. It’s possible that James’ strombolis are even better taken away, as these piping hot puppies can cool down a bit and the sauces sink in nicely into the wrapped around crust. These things are dangerously delicious. Highly recommended if you’re in the Gongguan area and environs.

Guy

5 Likes

Did someone say stromboli?! I’m in.

1 Like

I’ve become really fond of the basic cheese one, which also includes green pepper and onion. Simple delicious goodness!

Guy

Sorry to necropost this but… Is he still open ? I thought he left for the US. At least that’s what he told me.
James’ was hands down my absolute favorite pizza place. The 'bolis were out of this world.

Yes, he’s been open a few months now since we last discussed it. I’ve been a few times. I ordered on Uber Eats earlier this week actually (and was going to do so again today, but he seems to have increased his prices on there so I ordered from somewhere else haha).

2 Likes

I used to be a regular-ish customer at amore in gongguan. After they closed I switched to saizeryia and pizza rock. LoL. I’ll have to try their new location though, it was always a nice place to visit at the previous location

1 Like

It was Pizza Rock I ordered instead today actually. I ended up finding it a bit disappointing! (First time I’ve ordered from there in a few months - I’ve mostly been making my own recently and was planning to today, but wasn’t in the mood to start making the sauce this afternoon.)

1 Like

Absolutely open! I just had dinner there tonight, with James working fast and furious at the pizza oven.

Guy

2 Likes