An Authentic Taiwan History from the PRC

For those of you concerned with “Revisionism” in Taiwanese education… here is the version supplied by the PRC embassy. It closely mirrors the KMT’s own version… Does this say INSECURE?

Game: Let’s play SPOT THE BULLSHIT. Whoever spots the most skewed “facts” wins.

Cloud cuckoo land is obviously part of Chinese territory too.

[quote]In 1937 the Chinese people threw themselves into an all-out war of
resistance against Japanese aggression. [/quote]

The funny thing is that the wackiest thing they say has nothing to do with Taiwan.

Interesting how they don’t mention anything that happened between 1945 and 1949.

Aside from the obvious deliberately misleading early hsitory, that tries to make out that ‘Taiwan’ has always been part of ‘China’, the most disgusting thing is the total absence of any reference to the Aborigines.

Brian

Lovely euphemism that.

[quote]how Taiwan, like the other parts of China, came to
be opened up and settled by the Chinese people of various ethnic
groups. [/quote]

huh?

[quote=“maowang”]
After eight years of grueling war against Japanese aggression the
Chinese people won final victory and recovered the lost territory of
Taiwan in 1945.[/quote]

I’m not very tall, so the bullshit was threatening to spill over the top of my waders at this point… And to think that Hollywood has had it wrong all these years.

<-- Waiting for a movie starring Jet Li winning the war against the Japanese single-handed :loco:

Thanks Maowang, I hadn’t had a good laugh in days :beer:

Don’t know if I should laugh or cry, knowing that so many intellectuals, policy makers, and all of great China’s population, will swallow that colossal piece of horseshit hook, line, sinker, and schooner…

If you read it the right way, it gives out a lof of information.

The Chinese sent expeditions to Taiwan 1700 years ago, but they only attempted to map it in 1714.

It seems that no administrative system of large parts of the island was in place before 1875 - we are here talking about Xinzhu, Taibei, Danshui, and Yilan.

No mentioning of any Chinese officials on Taiwan proper before 1684. They claim that Koxinga was a Chinese general - I thought he was a rebel?

Mass actions against the japanese in the 1920s and 1930s. The sources for this is doubtful. james Kerr mentions this as being touted by the KMT during WWII - especially the reported sabotage bombing in Tainan in 1937, where hundred of thousands of gallons of fuel went up in flames.

Do I need to mention that james Kerr himself was a resident of Tainan in 1937, and he noticed nothing. (One would imagine that blowing up a huge fuel storage would be hard to keep secret from tahe neighbors).

Interesting way they go about it, them Chinese. A bit of fact, mized with lies, postulates and inaccuracies… Reads well, but overall bollocks.

There’s a lot more errors than that Mr He.

There’s a couple of references to islands that Chinese expeditions turned up on that may have been Taiwan (Liuqiu and the other one - I forget the name). Prior to the 16th century, there may have been a little haphazard and accidental settlement of Taiwan by ‘Chinese’, but definitely no planned or large scale settlement. (‘Chinese’ in ‘’, because there was really no concept of ‘China’ at this time).

Another ridiculous thing is using the 12th Century settlement of Penghu as evidence of long-term ‘Chinese’ colonisation of Taiwan. Just because Penghu later became so closely linked to the history of Taiwan, and part of ROC territory, does not mean that Taiwan has been Czhinese since the 12th century. You may as well say that Jinmen settled by Chinese for thousands of years, so Taiwan is Chinese.

Penghu was later thought of as ‘part of China’ even when Taiwan was not. This can be seen in the way that China made the Dutch leave Penghu, but didn’t mind them going to Taiwan (in fact I think they actually suggested Taiwan). They didn’t think of Taiwan as part of China. This is the bit that a lot of people don’t understand, and the PRC historians deliberately lie about. The The Ming and early Qing dynasties did not think of Taiwan as part of China. Many Chinese ahad settled Malaysia, Indonesia and other parts of E Asia, and Taiwan was thought of in the same way. Southern Chinese had gone there, but these places were not part of China.

[quote]
No mentioning of any Chinese officials on Taiwan proper before 1684. They claim that Koxinga was a Chinese general - I thought he was a rebel? [/quote]

Exactlly. They deliberately fudge this. Koxinga fled to Taiwan as a foreign base to try and fight the Qing dynasty in the name of the Ming. He was also consideringt the Phillipines. Neither were thought of by him, the Chinese, or their new Manchu rulers as part of China, but this was the crucial time for Taiwan. It was Taiwan’s new status as a base for Ming rebels that finally brought Taiwan under China’s rule. They hadn’t cared about the Dutch and Spanish being there. They jsut wanted to stop it being a rebel base. And so they reluctantly annexed it.

No, you’re right. They didn’t administer the whole island. Maybe not many peopel know, but they didn’t even claim sovereignty over the whole island until shortly before ceding it to the Japanese. The mountain areas and the East Coast were Aboriginal land which the Chinese did not rule in name or fact.

So many people fall into the trap (laind by both PRC and ROC historians) of thinking of Taiwan’s history in terms of it being a part of China. Thus you get quotes like “suprisingly the Chinese didn’t mind the Dutch moving to Taiwan” (form Penghu - quote from new Lonely Planet history section). Previous to Qing annexation, noone thought Taiwan was part of China. During the period of Japanese rule, and even during WW2 people like Mao Zedong, Zhou En Lai and the occupying KMT general (forget the name) did not think of Taiwan as part of China.

Brian