An honest question about paper, scissors, stone

Related to this is that game that some Taiwanese play (but others have never heard of it). In the first week I was in Taiwan, my friend met a random dude who invited a huge group of us to a restaurant and there were some very drunk businessmen playing a game where you had to make one of three actions. I think one was an eagle flapping its wings and another had something to do with a beak, but that may have been part of the complicated eagle routine. There was also something involving busily waving your hands across each other at a low level. Each player would take it in turns doing an action or several and his opponent had to do one at the same time, or only a split-second afterwards. If the opponent did the same one, he got a point. I think it went back and forth until one person got three points. Something like that.

Anyway, it’s a very entertaining game to watch. For a long time, I thought it was a game played only by those businessmen because whenever I tried to explain/demonstrate part of the game to other Taiwanese people, they didn’t know it and thought I was mad. Then, one time, I was at a big Rotary function with some of my adult students and there was one guy there who was a bit of a party animal who was just like those businessmen, so I figured if anyone would know it, he would. Sure enough, he did, and before long, we had a whole bunch of very proper, conservative middle-aged women doing it and they were even funnier to watch than the drunk businessmen.

Does anyone else know the game to which I refer?

There are tons of these games and they are very populary in Taiwanese pubs.
There is also the 5 10 15 game, which I like a lot.
Dice games and card games are also really good in the bars.

[quote=“heimuoshu”]There are tons of these games and they are very populary in Taiwanese pubs.
There is also the 5 10 15 game, which I like a lot.
Dice games and card games are also really good in the bars.[/quote]

I know the 5,10, 15 game, though I can’t remember it exactly.

Dice and card games in bars are a little bit lame I think. I’m going to completely outlame them (to coin an expression) and crack out the Boggle set one day (“Now all your Chinglish are belong to us!”) or Settlers of Catan (“Take that, biotch, I have the longest road!”).

It’s 5 10 15 20. Then there’s the wu gui wu gui cha game with your fingers lifting off the table but palm on. Then there is the make the hand signal and head movement in the opposite direction game. Hard to beat Chinese drinking games for fun, I have taught westerners and they loved them. They are almost all one on one challenges, different than the west.

There are quite a few that you can play with more than two people. Why you would want to do that if the lady atthe bar is playing is above me but all right.

Not many games are more than 2 people, it’s all about defeating your opponent and then on to the next one, trust me I’m an experienced Taiwanese/Chinese drinking gamer…or at least was!

Not disagreeing, but I can only speak Chinese because of hanging out in bars so I have paid my dues. :slight_smile: Every dice game can be played by more than one person. Most card games are better of you have 3 or more people. The games you play with you hands are usually dominated by two people type games (which is what I assume you mean).

Have only heard rock paper scissors except with some poker players who call it roshambo and consider it a skill game.

I’ve always called it paper, scissors, stone, though that might be due to my considerably posh upbringing.

Would anyone care for a game…? I’m holding stone right now.

video.aol.com/video-detail/demet … d=VIDURV01

A good commentary on the game.

Jan Ken PON!

The Japanese have the most advanced versions of it.

Singapore Fist is pretty cool though.

I have ROCK!
Can anybody beat that???
No? I didn’t think so.

In Newcastle, England it was always “Rizzlas, Hot-rocks, Stoned”

Seriously though, I’m pretty sure it was “paper, scissors, stone.”

Hahahahaha,
I laughed so hard when I read about the ‘rock, scissors, cloth’ and ‘rock, scissors, sheet’
As a Taiwanese, I’ve always been taught to say ‘paper, scissors, stone’
But then I moved to England where many of my English friends say ‘rock, paper, scissors’ and now I
say that too simply because it’s easier to say…for me anyway :smiley:

I’d only heard “rock, paper, scissors” in the US. I’d lived in several places in the US. I’d never actually played it or had anyone suggest it, though.

When I first came to Taiwan, I was reading a book by a British author. He used “paper, scissors, stone”. Just a strange coincidence.

[quote=“Nuit”]“scissors, paper, stone” for me (Uk). In that order.

when playing a one-off game (esp against a guy), always go with paper. The most common male opener is stone.[/quote]

Always play Rock! Always.

rock, paper, scissors here :slight_smile:

A rock is different to a stone.

A rock can smash scissors no problem, but a small pebble or stone? :smiley:

I cannot believe you people still play the old version of this game when everyone knows “Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock” is so much better!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock

DP