An honest question about paper, scissors, stone

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but the game is played a lot at school, so I might as well post it here.

Is the phrase “paper, scissors, stone” Chinglish? A few minutes ago, I read a facebook update that called it “rock, paper, scissors” and it was refreshing to see. I have called it that all my life before I moved to Taiwan. Am I wrong? Anyone else call it that from back home? Is Cincinnati, Ohio just a back-assward town in this regard?

I doubt strongly if that is Chinglish. I knew it as paper scissor stone before I came here and I am pretty sure there was no Chinese influence.

“scissors, paper, stone” for me (Uk). In that order.

when playing a one-off game (esp against a guy), always go with paper. The most common male opener is stone.

[quote=“Nuit”]“scissors, paper, stone” for me (Uk). In that order.

when playing a one-off game (esp against a guy), always go with paper. The most common male opener is stone.[/quote]

Chinese would be Scissors, Stone, Cloth.

“Rock, Paper, Scissors” in the US.

Rock, paper, scissors, in Australia.

Rock, Paper, Scissors in London, too :ponder:

[quote=“Puppet”]I wasn’t sure where to put this, but the game is played a lot at school, so I might as well post it here.

Is the phrase “paper, scissors, stone” Chinglish? A few minutes ago, I read a facebook update that called it “rock, paper, scissors” and it was refreshing to see. I have called it that all my life before I moved to Taiwan. Am I wrong? Anyone else call it that from back home? Is Cincinnati, Ohio just a back-assward town in this regard?[/quote]

Rock, Paper, Scissors is the 100%-maximum-awesome-freedom-loving version. A few of our friends in UK and Aussie call it Paper, Scissors, Stone I believe, and I think this is where it was learned from in Taiwan (somehow…). I’m from Minnesota, and we use it there as well, as we do in virtually all of the USA and Canada.

It’s not Chinglish because the direct translation would actually be “scissors, stone, sheet” I believe.

My family were very poor when I was growing up. We didn’t have any paper or scissors. We just played “rock”.

No Jimi, that’s because you didn’t have any friends. Poor people get together and play ‘rock, rock, rock’ because eveyone has a rock. Sadly, if you’re the only one playing, it’s just ‘rock’.

Don’t be sad. Rock is good!

Q: Is it rock paper scissor?
A: NO…It is Rock N Roll.
:sunglasses:

Paper scissors stone where I come from in Canada, though I imagine there are regional variations.

Ahah, we can blame the Canadiens for this nonsense. :discodance:

Must be that BC bud. Paper…Scissors…Stoned…

I always heard “rock, paper, scissors” while growing up and living in the US.

So apparently, this mostly comes from certain parts of Canada… And it’s not surprising that it’s popular here considering all the major recruiters are under Canadian management. It just means they’ve been here longer and in greater numbers.

I always called it “rock, scissors, paper”, and I’m from Canada. Someone from Vancouver and area might use the Chinese order simply because of the influence of the huge numbers of Chinese-origin immigrants there.
But didn’t this ‘game’ originate in China? And then we in the West borrowed it? In which case whatever we call it is a bastardized translation from the Chinese.

Me too. Never heard the other way 'till I came here.

Yeah, a lot of the kids in my neighborhood called it “Roche, papier, ciseaux”; took me a long time to figure out what was up with that. :slight_smile:

I tell kids here that they have got it wrong. It is paper, scissors, stone, FORK.
Fork goes through paper can be broken by stone but is equal to scissors. Then watch them play. It really confuses them but actually allows them to think.

VERY FUNNY. That’s what we need on a Monday morning. I will tell this joke to my mates.

Schere, Stein, Papier where I’m from… so scissors, stone, paper. Apparently some people even call it Ching, Chang, Chong - is that proof for it originating in Taiwan / China? :smiley: