Ancestry.com for ethnic Taiwanese people

Don’t think there even was a China back then though. Of the culture they spread across the pacific about half of the species were from what we now call China (including rice).

Anyway, just saying the “9% Polynesian” is not so surprising for coastal southern China. As that is one of the places that Polynesians came from and it was also quite likely in contact with the Polynesian world.

That’s a possibility, although my family’s been on Taiwan 7 gens on my dad’s side, 10 gens on my mom’s side, so it’s very likely we picked up indigenous Taiwan blood on the way.

2 Likes

I thought your mom was actually from Zhangzhou directly :joy:

Ha nope. She’s from Taichung.

1 Like

What do you think various Taiwan subgroups might look like?

If its ten generations does the origin in a particular town mean that much? Isn’t that just one line in the family tree out of many? Unless there was a large Zhangzhou community in Taichung?

Interesting to see the negrito description in Philippines. Don’t think that is there in Taiwan?

We were talking about that not long ago. There is some tribal memory about them I think.

1 Like

Yea I saw about a ceremony about that, and some archaeology evidence, also vaguely remember reading about negritos in Guangdong. Yea there was another thread. (saying the same things over and over again, aka getting old)

That doesn’t sound too positive :slight_smile: I remember a pretty interesting conversation fairly recently.

1 Like

Maybe not.

But almost all Taiwan Hoklos originated from Zhangzhou, Quanzhou, or Xiamen.

My family records also show I’m descended from Sung dynasty philosopher Zhuxi.

3 Likes

That’s kind of cool huh! Just googling him now

1 Like

That one has southern Han and Northern Han.

negrito populations never made it to taiwan. they migrated via south india into south east asia into the indonesian islands and up to the Philippines. the sea level was lower during the neolithic era and glaciation means that a lot of those early peoples would have actually just walked around to these places (they weren’t totally distinct islands for that period of time). taiwan was connected via land to mainland china, but not to the south, so the negritos never made it up to taiwan. the austronesians, who likely originated in south china, made it over to taiwan though, and from there spread and replaced the negritos in much of the south east asia islands.

1 Like

there are a few articles about it and whether or not they made it to Taiwan, there is an aboriginal tribe that has a ceremony about remembering them: would be an interesting one to see

1 Like

I’ve been to that ceremony. It’s mostly a huge aboriginal festival with lots of drinking.

2 Likes

nice!

and nice!

1 Like

Almost twenty years ago…Aboriginals just camp in the forests surrounding it. I don’t think I saw much of the ceremony it was bad weather mud everywhere.

wow that’s crazy if they made it to taiwan. if they did though they certainly got wiped out by the austronesians many thousands of years ago. and likely didn’t contribute much dna to them either. ‘hey lil people, thanks for the help, now die.’

Sounds fun, I made it to the place they hold it not to long ago.

yea, seems like that is the likely scenario. Presumably in south east asia in general there was more intermingling. For most cultural expansions there is aspects of extermination, but usually there is intermingling too. Fun thing about DNA tests is they can reveal that, and sometimes its like most of the DNA evidence is that the invaders were a minority in the current makeup.

Studies of UK and Ireland show that the majority of the populations DNA is pre norman, pre saxon, pre celtic like 60% is entirely prehistory