Ancestry.com for ethnic Taiwanese people

As I mentioned there was an earlier wave of Melanesians .

Even more intriguing is , what-if these people weren’t just Melanesians or Austronesian but actually another human species.

And my friends that is a real possibility , there were multiple human species coexisting and living in China within the last hundred thousand years. Denisovans, Red Deer people, possibly others. You could walk to Taiwan during the ice age. Or they were a type of hobbit people evolving on the island like Flores man.

But even if they were the last Melanesians that is also very cool.

There was wasnt there, neandertals, devisonians, and maybe in Indonesia. However they may have well been distict, but not a biological ‘species’ as the definition of species is the inability to interbreed. (also I’ve read that caucaisans have more neanderthal)

The definition of species is malleable.

Look into seagulls is a good example.
It’s not either /or.

I introduce the concept of ring species which may be just as apt for human evolution .

2 Likes

It’s very hard to find older evidence of human habitation and fossils here becaause Taiwan’s mountains are amongst the fastest growing and fastest eroding worldwide. Then we get hit by typhoons too.
There should be evidence of Melanesians and their fossils …But …Where to find them.
And then further back…Even harder.

The Pacific islanders carry DNA from another human ancestor.

2 Likes

yeah the fact that there’s almost zero markers for negritos in the taiwanese tribes means that those negritos were totally exterminated, minimal intermingling. but these same people kept the han chinese away for centuries ‘you can go to the small islands, but don’t go to the big island, the people there are stabby stabby and will cut off your head as soon as they see you’ so i guess it’s not too surprising.

i’ve read that quite a bit of their dna are anglo-saxon, something like 1/3rd. so brits on average are 1/3rd germanic.

1 Like

England got a lot of Anglo Saxon DNA when there was sort of great replacement , possibly extermination through the male line.
Ireland very little I believe, I don’t think their genes came to Ireland until much later with later jnvasions and population mixing , viKing, normans etc…

And then the Picts…Who were they ? :thinking:

And in Ireland and UK we don’t know who the pre-celtic culture peoples name was even …But most of us are descended from them.

Yea I think they say the Germanic one is the strongest at like 30% which is still less than a majority. Also think they found the Welsh to be the most Genetically distinct, and the west of Ireland to be the most genetically identifiable. But overall the majority is still pre celtic, not assigned to any invading group. (If I am not misstaken)

2 Likes

Yep there’s pretty much a genetic wave trending from East to West…With the further West you go generally getting DNA markers going back to the original settlers. Hence the famous ’ black Irish '…Blue eyes and black hair ? Fun fact ,original neolithic settlers were darker and had sallow skin, pale skin and blue eyes was a later mutation that spread rapidly through the population from ONE ancestor I.e. it’s believed all blue eyed people share the same ancestor (afaik).

1 Like

I think in the west of ireland its like up to 99 percent those markers, but in the south east of England its still like 60%

1 Like

About as surprising as an Irish wake with lots of drinking :heart_eyes:

1 Like

You are mixing them up with the Ligurian spies, who snuck in from Italy during the war :wink:

Any echoes of that in the local speech in Taichung? To be a boring fecker and go back to Ireland again, its interesting there that in Ireland, Scotland, and Northern England the speech is quite a bit more ‘germanic’ in the local dialects, even though the actual germanic DNA is mirror opposite in the south east. Is taichung any more ‘zhanghzhou’ in speech than say Tainan is? Googling that now and answering my own questions… but anyway, what do you make of the map? presumably there is also a general distinctive Taiwanese characteristics to the speech too. (I have no idea, dont understand a word beyond a couple of common phrases, I can catch the drift of some dialects sometimes but Minnan, generally no)

1 Like

I wonder what mine would say. We have pretty good documentation of our ancestry with names and dates from my fathers side. Idk what my mothers side would say from Korea.

Wow, this is really cool - this matches exactly with what my coworker told me yesterday. I asked him what the different accents were and if he could distinguish where someone was from in Taiwan based on their Taiwanese accent, and he said he could tell coast vs. inland and south vs. non-south.
Why does Penghu have 2 different colors? I can’t imagine it’s big enough that the accents are that different… ‘Ah, by the way you speak, I can tell you live 200-400m north of me’

1 Like

I think Yilan is the best known for it. Lugang is known for Quanzhou

2 Likes

I have no clue as I don’t speak Holo and therefore cannot distinguish.

I do know the Hakka we speak is 南部 Hakka from Meinung as opposed to the 北部 Hakka from Shinzu and Miaoli.

The link between DNA and linguistics is interesting. Eran Elhaik, a geneticist, tested Yiddish speakers and pinned the origin of Ashkenazi Jews to Turkey.

2 Likes

I can actually distinguish between the two.:grin: Dont speak it but can tell the difference. To me the southern Hakka sounds more Cantonese.

Looks like a little linguistic enclave - based on google- nice.

1 Like

Hakka seems to vary much more wildly than Holo.

Are the northern Hakka speakers from Fujian or something?

Yeah, it seems just in Miaoli county there’s quite a bit of variation.

2 Likes