Ancestry.com for ethnic Taiwanese people

Read that in southern China in general there is a dialect continuum going all the way from Shanghai to Vietnam, where basically everyone can understand the next town over, and a town or two after that .But if you jump too far it is no longer comprehensible .Bit like your ring species.

Anyway I recon Hakka, to my non understanding ear, is like Cantonese moved bout 500 km to the north west. :smile:

2 Likes

Do you mean Northeast? The Hakka region of Canton is Northeast of Guangzhou.

Why not?

The Negritos expansion began 70,000 years ago. They were definitely in the Philippines prior to the end of the last glacial period sometimes around 13,000 years ago, which was about the same time Ancestors of Austronesians started moving to Taiwan. The last glacial glacial period ended around 10,000 years ago.

Papuans and Indigenous Australians managed to cross the Wallace Line without needing a land bridge, and they did so 65,000 years ago. Negritos could also have gotten to Taiwan by sea from the Philippines.

Even if we assume that’s not an option, there was nothing stopping them from reaching Taiwan through present day Southern China at an earlier date during one of the stadial phases.

2 Likes

To my ear Hakka sounds like Cantonese, but moved inland and to the north on that continuum. Not based on where its actually found, but based on the feel of it - and without actually being able to understand it either. A bit like the Latin languages from Italy to Belgium , you’d have a guess at where a dialect lay based on the sound - but of course many or most of those dialects are not used any more. In China they are quite a bit stronger though. My knowledge of Chinese is not nearly good enough to give an actual informed view of course just talking crap based on impressions. I have noticed though that with a little knowedge of one dialect several others seem to open up a little, at least for catching a little ghist of the words and meanings. I picked up some Xiang language and was surprised that I was able to catch some Shanghai language, based on similar shifts in sounds. But I think both of those are a lot closer to standard Chinese than Cantonese, Minnan and Hakka are.

Its kind of similar with Germanic languages too. From Austria to Belgium. Big border there at Brussesls. But people around the Dutch German Belgian border understand each other perfectly, effectively more or less the same language if its the home town dialect that’s spoken. .

From China there was no sea barrier, but I think from the Philippines there was?

I wanted to do it but the test is only available in the US. So unless there’s a Taiwanese version of these tests available, I can’t do it. Best I can hope is get my dad to do it…

All I know is what my dad says and I can’t vouch for the accuracy of that.

But basically my family used to live in Hanko (now part of Wuhan), came over to Taiwan when Chaing Kai Shek lost the Chinese Civil War…

3 Likes

can you confirm for the masses that Wuhan people don’t do much er hua?

What i want to know is if this will be the thing that allows people to buy aboriginal land. Could dna tests eventually overturn the laws currently written?

You paid 150 x 100 USD?!

$150.

Also, Taiwanese people need to take this test. I need a basis for comparison.

That’s what I thought, too

It seems to be US$99 on their site right now

Let us know your results if you do it.

They’re only available to a small list of countries, predictably, Taiwan is not on the list.

Right now, all those countries in European

Map of the last glacial maximum

There’s no reason why the Negrito population couldn’t have made it to Taiwan if they got to the Philippines.