And yet another consequence of Taiwan Parenting Issues (spoilt, lack of belt)

I was just going to ask. Because it’s obvious you started the thread because of some personal experience.

I don’t think that is the suggestion. I think you are both yelling from the same hill in opposite directions.

This is something I witness often in foreigner discussions of Taiwan. The ignorance argues the ignorance.

I wouldn’t really call this thread a discussion but rather an angry stream of anecdotes leading to unfounded generalizations.

5 Likes

That’s just like your opinion man!

1 Like

I would argue that the lack of belt is a serious problem.

12 Likes

Ima gonna go out and belt every kid I see

1 Like
1 Like

This picture reminds me of high school. The kids were given zip ties if their pants were too low.

Apparently the fashion started in prisons, where everyone’s belt is taken away.

I think bad parenting is about the lack of instilling self-discipline, self-esteem and helping children to understand how to behave socially. The use of physical punishment may be a form of bad parenting in my opinion. It only reinforces the idea that physical violence is the way to solve issues.

6 Likes

I am not convinced belts/rods are the determination of a kid who won’t be spoiled.

Parenting style used most often in Taiwan are very stressful for the kid. Often parents load a ton of expectation on them the moment they enter school. Hard to be motivated when your whole life is being micromanaged by your parent. I have cousins like this and I can see he really just do not want to be around the family.

So it’s either they are spoiled rotten or somewhat successful but still unable to live on their own because they can’t live without the micromanagement.

2 Likes

There are hundreds of studies out there about the effects of corporal punishment and I have read NONE of them.

But I KNOW that threats and punishment do not necessarily create well-behaved adults, nor does respectful parenting without violence create family-killing monsters.

I think Taiwanese parenting can at times be a weird mix of weak and authoritative behavior that can be quite confusing to the kids.

I think respect is key. Respect your children, respect them as individuals with rights and obligations. Set clear boundaries and stick to them. Give them love and respect their needs but make them understand and embrace the fact that they have to make an effort on their own to find happiness and gratification.

13 Likes

It’s funny how painting everyone with the same brush counts as ‘discussion’ now. :rofl:

I didn’t know that shitty parenting was a uniquely Taiwanese thing. News to me.

7 Likes

27 posts were split to a new topic: From Parenting

Good luck with that. Traditional Chinese culture treats children like properties. They have no rights, no boundaries, do not deserve respect, and must be micromanaged to hell.

This is often why they hate their parents. Would you love anyone who micromanages you to hell?

2 Likes

We have this discussion constantly. My laissez faire approach against “this way he won’t fit into Taiwan society” (which is probably not a bad argument). Individualism is not what is asked for I’m afraid. But I can’t do it the “Taiwan way” whatever that might be. Threats and punishment is not my thing. I could never use a belt to hit a child, that’s unthinkable.

1 Like

How about one of these?

2 Likes

That’s exactly what our PE teacher in junior high used. Thankfully he never hit the girls as hard as he hit the boys.

My fourth grade teacher (Irish American) had one with a shamrock on it, and was very generous in using it. Needed permission from the parents though, and mine didn’t give it.

And look how that turned out… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes