And

I am looking for a clear and detailed explanation of the various Chinese counterparts to the English ‘and’:

Would personal explanations work? I am no scholar. But I think my Chinese is enough to differenciate the differences of some of them (not all). Perhaps someone in Chinese Literature can go deeper in depth than I?

scchu

I was hoping that someone would direct me to an already existing paper on this topic but seeing as no one has here’s what I’ve come up with myself. Most of the examples below are ones I noted in the book I was reading this afternoon,

“Intermediate Chinese: A Grammar & Workbook” by Yip Po-Ching and Don Rimmington has decent explanations and examples of all of these as well. The best way to understand their usage, methinks, is to just read more and see how they’re used naturally (for the more “bookish” ones), and just listen to people speak more (for the more colloquial ones). Reading grammar rules doesn’t really work, for me at least, in language learning …

Thanks for the grammar reference. Mostly I’m interested in improving my writing style; and although I agree that the best way to do this is to read and copy what I like I also find having an idea of some of the distinctions at play to be quite useful.

Perhaps something about ‘logical’ connectives next? I am thinking