Andrew Yang and the Forward Party

If Yang is on stage again end-July, then his first spoken words should be something like, “well, if everyone is going to speak a foreign language or attach themselves to an ethnicity. I guess I should”, and then speak something in Chinese like “Hi mom and dad. Wish you great health” (obviously is still alive. if not, then direct that phrase to the audience in general). Then if asked what he said, repeat those words in English. It’ll knock down Beto and Booker in one blow and score some points with parents.

Two pretty great videos about Yang and his policies:

The first one is by Cold Fusion and it’s a deep dive into UBI, and discusses the pros and cons, though mostly the pros of Yang’s core policy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQjrhIyaPyg

The second one is an interview by The Young Turks. I like how policy oriented this interview is. I wish all political interviews/debates are more like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZORidcOG8BE

Out of the 2020 Democrat hopefuls, Andrew Yang seems to be the first and probably will be the only one to point out attacking conservative journalists is not ok.

3 Likes

I don’t think I will vote for him. But I do hope he shakes things up for the Dems and does well. He has some interesting ideas not brought into the mainstream. I hope they let this man speak more. He has a lot of good issues he’s addressing. I might not 100% agree with his solutions, but he’s bringing up some important issues.

I am so not on board with Yang. however…
He seems to bring a certain sense of civility as well as a sense of leading with logic rather than raw emotions which i really really like.
Wish we had more people like him

2 Likes

Daily Beast hates Yang:

They give a lot of alleged reasons but the reasons don’t make sense or even add up to a coherent argument. My guess is they’re in the tank for someone who is not Yang.

Or maybe they’re just racist. I dunno.

2 Likes

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. They really hate how he made his money.

Yang cut his teeth in test prep, an industry that sorts students based on abilities for a nifty profit. That sorting, of course, privileges the wealthy who have more access to the resources the prep industry offers.

I very much doubt the writers there are from underprivileged backgrounds. File this under “just stuff they say.”

Well, with the Freedom Dividend that Yang proposes, every family could choose to give their kids access to the resources the prep industry offers, if they so chooses to.

True but its been done in Alaska for a long time

Too bad they cut Yangs Mic so he couldn’t get a word in during the DNC debate.

1 Like

Alaska’s program is not UBI. It’s a dividend from the sale of state-owned gas & oil resources that’s issued to state residents who’ve resided in Alaska from 1-Jan through 31-Dec (if you moved to AL on 2-Jan or later, or if you moved out of AL on 30-Dec, then you’re not eligible for that year’s dividend check).

It’s also never much exceeded US$2k in a single year. It’s been as low as about US$350 or so in some years. Because the the dividend amount isn’t a “defined benefit” amount, I’m not sure the Alaska Permanent Fund makes a good model for UBI.

Just saying.

1 Like

This thread is the most amicable political conversation I’ve read in this forum. Ever.

2 Likes

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why Andrew Yang is an ok guy.

Check out the moves. :eek:

And that’s the surprising appeal of Andrew Yang.

2 Likes

So what’s he getting out of his presidential run? A chance at being appointed Secretary of Education? More public awareness of UBI? What?

Wider exposure for Andrew Yang would be my guess. To be used in 2024.

I don’t know… I wouldn’t write him off for 2020 just yet.

well, if he makes it to the top 8 or 10, when the Demnuts cut out some of the no-names, then he can make a real impact on TV

At least he can explain why people should get money and how it would be paid off. And not just saying free health care, free tuition, cancel debt, without saying where that money would come from.

1 Like