Anki - collecting resources and advice

In this thread, I want to collect Anki resources and tips to improve Mandarin.

I have been using Anki lately and found it helpful. Less as a tool to learn new vocabulary, more of a tool to systematically repeat vocabulary that I might not yet have fully internalised.

Currently using:
HSK 2012 (4) Simplified Chinese - Spanish deck. 1800 cards
This deck has single words, which is not optimal. Other than that it is ok. Pronunciation also not always given.

HSK1-4 (4368 cards)
This deck uses sentences to drill words and there is audio. That is much better, but there are also some shortcomings. First, some sentences make no sense (context is missing). Sometimes the audio is also not clear or tones are slightly off.

Pimsleur Mandarin (936 cards)
Another deck with sentences and audio. Overall not bad, but the cards are all about the same topics and too simplistic. Going to Beijing and Boston, studying English and Chinese, eating and drinking, weather, job. That’s about it. In other words, a very narrow field. Good to get started though.

All these decks are from the shared decks on Anki. What other websites or resources do you use to get high quality Anki decks? Which decks did you use and what is your experience.

One more point: I used advice on Youtube about Anki settings and increased the periods a lot. Since I try not to learn but only to review vocabulary, it is good to have directly 15 days after the first time I see a known card and quickly that goes to about 1 month and 6 month within just 3 iterations. I try not to repeat too often just having the cards show up sometimes to make sure that I get exposure to all words and sentences once in a while.

2 Likes

I am currently using these sets:

1. James W. Heisig Remembering Traditional Hanzi 1
  2. Remembering the Traditional Hanzi Book 2
  3. SpoonfedChinese Traditional
  4. Zhuyin (Bopomofo)

I cannot judge on the quality of #3 (the only one with audio): it has good ratings on the “net” but my Taiwanese SO tells me I sound from China when I try to surprise her with some of the expressions I learnt there… :confused: So I have to amend/flag those cards

2 Likes

I found a cloze version of Chinese sentences on Ankiweb. Will try it out as well.