Annan says Iraq war was illegal

[quote=“Traveller”]Fred, as usual you manage to miss the point, even if the UN had stopped wars etc etc, the US would still not abide by any of its rulings, as the US will always do what the US wants.

As for the US’s intervention in issues, as both you and tigerman are always saying, the US only does it for it’s own good reason or benefit. As such, then the US is always getting more out of something than it puts in, especially in the long term. The US does not do anything to help others where it cannot help itself.[/quote]

So what is your point?

What does your insightful comment above have to do with the issue of whether or not the UN is a worthless piece of shit?

TM, as to the current worth of the UN, then we have no differences, my point is that even if the UN really stood for something the US would still carry on as it does now, so why blame the UN for something that makes no difference to US foreign policy.

Traveller:

Typical weepy emotionalism.

Who respects the UN right now and abides by all its rules? Did Europe when it wanted an end to Bosnia and Kosovo? Hmmm? Do the Arabs? Do the Russians? Do the Chinese? NO. So stop pretending the UN means anything at all and that the US is only doing what it wants. If that were the case, why did we help you worthless sacks of ahem out in the Balkans? What was in it for us? You, I think, have mistaken us for the French surely?

Fred you said that the US were the only ones that got off their asses to do something about Bosnia, Kosovo, etc. hence allowed the citizens of those countries that were as refugees in other countries, to return home! Why isn’t the US doing something about that other country (you know which one I mean) and the same would hopefully happen!
Cheers!

Thats ok Fred, you carry on defending the Us without rational thought.

Since when did two wrongs make a right. But of course the US never thinks it is wrong does it… ha ha ha. :s

How exactly has the US ignored the UN. Bush begged that worthless bunch of corrupt tinpot dictators and bureaucrats to give him a resolution. He should NOT have gone back for one more. He should have just invaded. Why he went to them in the first place is beyond my comprehension. I want the UN gone yesterday. Let’s turn the building over to some fleabag students and be done with it. The UN is dead.

What are you talking about?

Good, we agree that the UN is a worthless piece of shit.

But, where are we blaming the UN for anything? We are saying “fuck off” to the UN for accusing the US of illegal conduct and illustrating by way of a number of examples why the UN has no moral ground on which to stand to criticize the US.

I thought this was quite clear.

I’m glad someone is starting to understand what the purpose of nations is for. All the whining people out there: “The US is only looking out for itself.” Welcome to the real world buddy. What do you think the rest of the world’s nations are doing? :s

Of course Annan says the war was illegal. According to the WSJ he was in charge of the UN peacekeepers in Srebrenica (sp??) and sat on his hands in respose to his commanders request for help.

Now, the WSJ are a bunch of right-leaning libertairians, but if true, this changes the perspective a bit.

So using this logic, would it be fair to say when Israel decides it wants to invade Iran it would be ok because the U.N. has no moral ground to stand on (since the U.S. has demonstrated this is so clearly) and of course the U.S. has no ground to stand on either since Israel would only be doing the same thing the U.S. did in Iraq?
Wow, as a matter of fact using this logic, what was wrong with Iraq invading Kuwait? Actually, any sovereign nation wishing to invade another one should be free to do so, right?
Cool…got it…thanks. You are all right, the U.N. is a piece of shit and should be dismantled immediately. Might makes right so let’s get at it…Afghanistan, Iraq, who is next?
:wink:

Stop right there. I’m not making any argument regarding the legality of the US war in Iraq. I am merely pointing out that the UN is shit.

[quote=“The Magnificent Tigerman”]

Stop right there. I’m not making any argument regarding the legality of the US war in Iraq. I am merely pointing out that the UN is shit.[/quote]
Fair enough, so why is this? Well the U.N. like any other organization can be no better or worse than it’s members. If the U.S. would put its weight behind the U.N. instead of running around making individual treaties with other countries to avoid being held accountable in the world court or invading member nations with consensus then the U.N. wouldn’t be a piece of shit. But as long as it’s most powerful and influential member blatantly disregards the organization - acting like a spoiled brat, what do you expect?

I’m not one to support the effort in Iraq, but who in the hell gives a flying fck what Annan and the UN has to say anyway? Sht, if the UN has a problem w/ the US in Iraq, then the UN needs to send their army over there to do something about it. What? Wait! The UN has no army? Well then I think Annan and the UN need to S.H.U.T T.H.E. F.U.C.K. U.P!

V:

Cry me a river and let me know when you will be squealing about the French, the Russians and every other corrupt tinpot nation in the UN not following the rules. Hoo boy. Someone needs a reality check. Repeat after me. The UN is shit. hahaha

[quote=“fred smith”]V:

Cry me a river and let me know when you will be squealing about the French, the Russians and every other corrupt tinpot nation in the UN not following the rules. Hoo boy. Someone needs a reality check. Repeat after me. the UN is shit. hahaha[/quote]
Did your mother ever ask you…“so if Tommy jumps off a bridge will you?”
If you want to hold yourself (and the U.S.) to the lowest standard then please feel free to do so but please don’t try to justify chicken shit wimpy ass politics as the goal of intelligent people. :wink:

[quote=“Vannyel”]
But as long as it’s most powerful and influential member blatantly disregards the organization - acting like a spoiled brat, what do you expect?[/quote]

lol. name me 1 permanent member of the security council who has not blatantly disregarded the un at some point in time. even if the us followed the instructions of the un to the tee, the behaviour of russia and china are enough to kill any legitimacy the un ever had.

[quote=“Flipper”][quote=“Vannyel”]
But as long as it’s most powerful and influential member blatantly disregards the organization - acting like a spoiled brat, what do you expect?[/quote]

lol. name me 1 permanent member of the security council who has not blatantly disregarded the UN at some point in time. even if the us followed the instructions of the UN to the tee, the behaviour of Russia and China are enough to kill any legitimacy the UN ever had.[/quote]

The Red Army will bury you…fascist warmongering oppressor of the people!!!

The Soviet Union demands World Peace!
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Flipper”][quote=“Vannyel”]

lol. name me 1 permanent member of the security council who has not blatantly disregarded the UN at some point in time. even if the us followed the instructions of the UN to the tee, the behaviour of Russia and China are enough to kill any legitimacy the UN ever had.[/quote]

The Red Army will bury you…fascist warmongering oppressor of the people!!!

The Soviet Union demands World Peace!
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:[/quote]

Hiya tovarisch.

How’s the workers’ paradise in Bali? or are you back in Taiwan, the other workers’ paradise?

Workers of the World, Unite!

And the response we should make is to provide a number of examples why you have no moral ground to criticize the UN. As you see it, moral ground is the forefront of legality, and the US has a surplus of moral ground to stand on. That why we no longer need to bother about any so called international law body known as the United Nations. Making $10 an hour or $40,000 an hour, rest assured that the US will take care of all international law.

On a side note, the Grateful Dead’s Bob Weir is pleading with Deadheads everywhere not to vote for Ralph Nader. Performing on Saturday in Boston, Weir told the band’s followers to be sure to vote, but the exorted, “Don’t vote for Nader. I know him. He’s an a–hole,” our spies tell us. The band then broke into “Johnny B. Goode,” a theme song of the Kerry-Edwards campaign …

[quote=“twocs”]
That why we no longer need to bother about any so called international law body known as the United Nations. Making $10 an hour or $40,000 an hour, rest assured that the US will take care of all international law.[/quote]

the un was not conceived as an international law body and it has never been an international law body. please put the leftist rhetoric away and read the un charter. thanks.