Annoying sounds and how to resolve the issues

No, and I was going to ask about it here. It’s probably my next project. Last time I changed chain I was thinking why it wasn’t oily/greasy but more like… waxed. And I think I thought it I could do the same, or how could it would be to do it. Then more recently I noticed that many people on youtube are doing this, and I wouldn’t mind giving it a shot. However I don’t want to spoil a pan for that… I also would like to minimize the waste, many people use like 500% more than what the chain actually needs, which is wasteful and polluting.

I think you save the pan with the wax for the next time, or next bike. I am thinking a medium small steel pan from either the second hand store or the everything store could be inexpensive.

1 Like

Actually I think I saw some crappy pan for 100nt. But still, I don’t want to have more shit at home, I already have problems with storing space at home…

But to keep the wax for the next time is a good tip.

I need to watch this later. Might be good. Might not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM-JDhuIBgs

Already watching it.

I love that they took a homeless junkie, washed him, gave him some clothes and a job reading texts for cycling videos. Still he’s a bit zoned out but he’s doing it pretty well all things considered. Maybe he needs to be fed too.

1 Like

Nah, that’s just John Malkovich.

I’m at the Giant shop. Had my bb bearings changed, no problem. Then i asked if they would have time to true the front wheel, which wasn’t super bad, but definitely not perfect. They said to do it.

I saw them through a window in their workshop how as their work progressed the rim was losing it’s roundness. I could tell this 7 meters from the wheel.

They seemed to deliberate about what to do and finally decided to pump it up, mount it back on the bicycle and tell me “Ok”.

What i hate the most is people pretending that either ypu or them are stupid. The manager tried to explain me that it’s normal that when you make it straight the rom goes up or down. Fuck, i already know that can happen, but it wasn’t that off amd you are supposed to correct any roundness problem if needed!

I tried to make him understand that the rim was worse than before and that I couldn’t accept it.

They are back on it and I don’t think I can make it on time to the appointment i had today…

So tired of crappiness and especially bullshit excuses.

So my latest annoying sound was a clicking that would click one time for every pedal revolution (all gears). It got really noticeable on my ride on Saturday. I took the bike into the shop and he said one of the crank arms wasn’t fully tightened. It seems to have done the job. I rode about 50m after the repair and then again around on the first floor of my apartment complex with my cycling shoes on. No sound. I hope that does it. Will probably go for a more substantial ride tomorrow morning.

Lesson of the day - don’t take your bike to a Giant shop.

I think this is somewhat endemic. You know, the chabuduoism. The funny thing is that years ago they asked me in what shop I had bought it (because I had another problem, a pinging spoke), and the manager said that the guy from that other shop didn’t “have good skills”. And then they do a crappy job and try to convince you that meio guanxi, that cha bu duo. And that mei banbfa. I’ve seen this many times already…

If you want quality work, go to a higher end shop, not to a shop that sells more kids bikes than road bikes. It sucks that the average quality of work is so low.

Definitely heard this “oh that shop, they suck” comment before though. Lol.

Well, I think the mystery of the “new” sound is this. It became pronounced (audible and louder) during my ride yesterday. I’ve discovered it takes some tension and stress that comes from uphill riding before it starts. And then after the tension is relieved, such as by going downhill for a while, the sound disappears. It’s different from the original sound, which was a metal on metal crunching sound when going uphill. Now it’s an annoying clicking on every pedal stroke.

Anyway, I’m getting new wheels. Maybe not right away, but they’re coming definitely.

If you ride a Giant, and it’s still under warranty, try to have them check it first. You don’t lose anything. If they can fix it in the shop, they should send it to the factory (or the central, or whatever).

Thanks but I’ve had my bike for well over three years. I’m pretty sure the warranty is long past. And I’m ready for new wheels. Probably won’t get them right away, but I think it’s time for this upgrade.

If you are looking for an upgrade, I have a pair of marvelous semi aero CF wheels that I don’t use anymore.

(they came with my Giant bike :smiley: )

Thanks, but after this little experience, I’m going to get new wheels.

Any chance they’re Pro Lite wheels or a rebrand?

http://www.pro-lite.net/products/wheels/road

They’re what came with my Giant TCR 1 bike. Everyone tells me to change them. I think I’ll listen now, finally.

1 Like

Try to have them serviced first. Really. Hubs and truing and some magic blue loctite in the nipples. Not on yours, on the defective one(s).

I changed a set of training wheels once to a set of pro climbing wheels. 10% off all my PBs instantly (well not instantly, one by one so to speak). Just do it.

1 Like