Another big nose busted for growing weed

Alright, here it is from the horse’s mouth. I went out to get on my moto in the morning and a bunch of guys piled out of their cars encircling me. They said they had a warrant to search the house. About 15 cops came in and started searching with a dog. They found a couple of broken old pipes left by previous housemates, papers and some old roaches in an ashtray. That’s it, their big bust!! They wanted to know where the basement grow room was. Basement? How many houses in Taiwan have a basement? Of course, there wasn’t anything for them to find, as our only garden is on the balcony with some flowers and basil. They were excited when they first entered our living room and saw our little Xmas tree…“Oh, what’s this?”…“Uh, a Christmas tree.” They seemed disappointed, guess they don’t like Xmas.
At the same time they searched the neighbor’s house. I just found out from reading the posts here on Forumosa what was discovered there. From the pictures it looks like he had three little half dead plants and some bags of old sticks and leaves. So, the 518 g mentioned must have come from that. No respectable police department in most civilized countries would even consider that newsworthy. As for the “mushroom” cultures or whatever they called it, that was purely fabricated or they imagined it when they saw the neighbor’s compost bin. So, unfortunately for our very mild mannered neighbors (whom I never once saw smoke)it looks like they have a big over exaggerated drama to go through.
As for the Chilean girl mentioned, there wasn’t anything she was involved in (just a misconstrued text msg)and she was let go the same time as I was. The saddest part of the whole ordeal was that the Macedonian girl had overstayed her visa and will be deported (she was really sick of it here anyways and has wanted to leave Asia for awhile). Also, the neighbor’s Taiwanese wife who is completely innocent and a really nice girl. Hopefully she’ll be ok.
There really is an ignorance here about the plant that is considered to be the longest used medicine by humans throughout history. All of Europe, Canada and the US have decriminalized it’s use. Western doctor’s give it to patients for all kinds of illnesses. It wasn’t made illegal in most countries until after WWII. It was still legal in the US during prohibition when alcohol was illegal. Kaoliang liquor is way more dangerous than it is.
The police here even wanted to know how it was injected! “Are you kidding me?” They must have spent well over a million NT for a few roaches and stems, so of course they had to exaggerate everything.
While we waited in the Banqiao detainment center, four mafia (Hei Dao) guys were put in the cell with me. The head gangster guy talked with the guards for a bit, pulled a stack of 1000nt bills as big as a brick out of his jacket, counted out 180,000nt and handed it through the bars to the police. The door opened and they walked. Of course no one would be surprised by that here. Money talks, regardless of the laws. Justice has a price tag and it has to be paid in cash. Visa and Mastercard not accepted.
Oh, one last point. Yes we did play our drums sometimes, not very often, usually on a Saturday and we stopped by by 10pm. A couple of times around the end of the summer we had some small dinner parties and played a little later, but we figured it would be alright as our Taiwanese neighbors were adding two exterior levels to their house and they had incessant jackhammering, metal cutting and drilling going on nearly everyday from 7:30am for months. They’re still at most weekends. And across the street the private KTV echoes out regularly. The only time I’ve complained was when I could hear one neighbor beating his wife or maybe his maid.
Well my friends, live and learn from my story so you don’t have to get dragged into any unnecessary drama like this. Peace.

You horrible, evil outlaws. I vote Lynch Mob!

Oh wait…just read what you actually said. Never mind.

You watched a guy count out exactly 180,000 in 1000 bills. And he did it right in front of you and let you watch (not even his minions told you to fuck off). He also just happened to have these bills on him and didn’t think to bribe the cops who brought him in but waited till he was in his cell. Why do I think that this event as you’ve related it is a wee bit of a Christmas tall tale? :laughing:

But enjoy your freedom during this holiday season.

[quote=“Feiren”]It’s not just pointy noses (c’mon folks, no one in Taiwan calls us big noses. We are A-dok-a, ‘beakies’).

A Taiwanese couple were just busted in Xizhi for growing weed. Appears to have been a much larger operation. 68 plants.[/quote]
And notice how the reporter in that video didn’t say, “不是美國人而是[color=#FF0000]台灣人[/color]…” with added stress.

:thumbsup: That’s what I was thinking when I watched that vid. :doh:

Wow, sorry to hear about this. I figure they’ll do at least a few years time. Love the stuff but never touched it here, not worth it. When I go back home though I’ll be blazing in the comfort of my home not being a total dumbass drumming into the night. If I get busted, oh well, they’ll just slap me on the wrist, tell me bad boy, and write me a ticket. How I miss the western world!

If it got legalized in CAlifornia, it would be ok on the 'wan in bout ten years, but it didnt and it wont for now. Stay off the stuff, period. Chew beetlenuts, smoke, drink.

[quote] Kevin would play African drums late into the night. (Queue picture of Eric Cartman complaining about hippies.) .[/quote] Or a picture of this guy :

I still can’t find the part where the dude’s nose gets busted… :idunno:

I know someone who knows one of the foreigners who got busted a while back, and It turned out the police made up most of the charges against him and he was out within a year.

[quote=“kevinfire”]They found a couple of broken old pipes left by previous housemates, papers and some old roaches in an ashtray.[/quote]Clear evidence of illegal drug activity per Taiwan law. Irrelevant to whom it belonged, it was in the house.[quote=“kevinfire”]The neighbor’s house looks like he had three little half dead plants and some bags of old sticks and leaves.[/quote]Clear evidence of illegal drug activity per Taiwan law. Amount or condition of the drug is irrelevant.[quote=“kevinfire”]No respectable police department in most civilized countries would even consider that newsworthy.[/quote]A civilized country is one that turns a blind eye to illegal drug use? Irrelevant. “Here is Taiwan”, not some other “civilized” country.[quote=“kevinfire”]The saddest part of the whole ordeal was that the Macedonian girl had overstayed her visa and will be deported.[/quote]Totally avoidable situation and not even a little sad in the least. Only herself to blame for this.[quote=“kevinfire”]There really is an ignorance here about the plant that is considered to be the longest used medicine by humans throughout history.[/quote]Irrelevant. Many laws in many other countries are based on ignorance. The law is the law. Conduct yourself accordingly.[quote=“kevinfire”]All of Europe, Canada and the US have decriminalized [strike]it’s[/strike] [color=#FF0000]its[/color] use.[/quote]Not true. Only 13 US States out of the total 50 have decriminalized it, but that still doesn’t mean you can openly buy it, grow it, and walk down the street smoking it. The states that have decriminalized only small possessions for personal consumption would be, Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, and Oregon. But, don’t forget US Federal Marijuana laws haven’t decriminalized marijuana and it’s treated no differently than heroin or cocaine by the DEA.

The legal status of marijuana in Canada is under dispute. Superior and appellate courts in Ontario have repeatedly declared Canada’s marijuana laws to be of no force and effect. However, challenges to marijuana laws at the federal level have not resulted in the deletion of the appropriate articles from the Criminal Code of Canada and the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Police and prosecution services in other Canadian jurisdictions still pursue criminal charges for marijuana possession.The cultivation of cannabis is currently illegal in Canada, with exceptions only for medical usage.

In Europe today there is a trend toward more tolerant public attitudes and policies regarding cannabis use and cannabis users. To possess marijuana in some countries is a criminal offense, while in others it is merely a civil infraction easily ameliorated with the payment of a fine. In other countries there exists greater leniency where the government has decided not to commit overwhelming amounts of money into the enforcement of laws prohibiting cannabis - despite the presence of the laws. Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain are the only European countries where marijuana has been decriminalized, but is STILL illegal. Romania is the only European country where marijuana is legal, EXCEPT for recreational use where it remains illegal!

You need to read up on the relevant marijuana history and laws.

Legal history of cannabis in the US
US Marijuana laws
Legal history of cannabis in Canada
Canada’s Marijuana Laws - 420 Magazine
Legality of cannabis by country
Marijuana laws in Southeast Asia

[quote=“kevinfire”]Western [strike]doctor’s[/strike] [color=#FF0000]doctors [/color]give it to patients for all kinds of illnesses.[/quote]Irrelevant. We are not in the West.[quote=“kevinfire”]It wasn’t made illegal in most countries until after WWII. It was still legal in the US during prohibition when alcohol was illegal.[/quote]Not entirely true. During the prohibition period 29 US States had already outlawed marijuana. Interestingly, this trend to outlaw marijuana was led by California in 1913. That would be 6 years BEFORE prohibition began. Yes, it’s now illegal. Irrelevant attempt at a history lesson.[quote=“kevinfire”]Kaoliang liquor is way more dangerous than it is.[/quote]Unsubstantiated claim. Irrelevant due to the fact that in Taiwan, marijuana is illegal and alcoholic beverages such as Kaoliang aren’t.[quote=“kevinfire”]Well my friends, live and learn from my story so you don’t have to get dragged into any unnecessary drama like this.[/quote]Exactly. I couldn’t agree with you more. Don’t possess, use, cultivate, or sell marijuana or overstay your visa in Taiwan!

On a personal note: I have never used marijuana or any other illegal drugs in my life. However, I want to smoke marijuana. I’ve wanted to give it a try for many years. I want to get a big, fat baggy of sticky, stinky, green bud. I want to roll up a super spliff the size of Cincinnati and fire that bad boy up and toke out until I puke! I want to be able to walk into my local 7-11 and purchase the marijuana along with a 6-pack of Taiwan beer and then sit out in front of the 7-11 across from Shida University in Kuting smoking my super joint whilst drinking my beer and checking out the young college babes. I want to smoke pot anywhere I can drink a beer or smoke a cigarette. I refuse to be a pussy and surreptitiously purchase marijuana, take it home, draw my blinds, lock my door, in order to smoke it all the while looking over my shoulder for the cops to come and bust me. I also won’t go get some medical chit for some fake medical condition which would authorize me to smoke it under certain conditions, either. Fuck that! For what I want to happen, marijuana needs to be legalized, not simply decriminalized, or allowed for “medicinal” use. Just legalize it and let me smoke my brains out! Yes, that’s right! I’m going on record as a supporter for full legalization for recreational use of marijuana! It should be no different than wine, whiskey, or beer and it should be taxed the same, too!

Until that day, however, I won’t possess it, use it, cultivate it, or sell it in any country where it is illegal. If the cops ever come to my house, they will not find any amount of illegal drugs of any kind, paraphernalia – used or unused, belonging to other housemates or left behind by previous housemates. I do not believe that people who smoke marijuana are scumbags, losers, idiots, etc. I do not judge a person’s character based on whether or not they smoke marijuana. If you want to do it, then that’s fine with me, but don’t come whining when you get caught and punished!

Merry Christmas

Marijuana possesion is a criminal offence in many Western countries and the growing of marijuana is getting MORE illegal by the minute not less. I also don’t get the comparison…but …but…it’s no big deal in Western countries…you are living in TAIWAN, did you not hear the annoucement on the way in Taiwan reserves the right to use the death penatly for drug dealers…that’s what they still announce folks.
Still some people always think the risk is worth taking…for a couple of joints…don’t know why. I like a smoke too but I’d never do it in Taiwan or at least not keep it in my house, too much to lose if you actually have a life and family here.

But…but…but…what? Taiwan is different…duh. Then’s there the bit about the ‘macedonia’ girl not liking Taiwan or Asia even though she is ILLEGAL.

You watched a guy count out exactly 180,000 in 1000 bills. And he did it right in front of you and let you watch (not even his minions told you to fuck off). He also just happened to have these bills on him and didn’t think to bribe the cops who brought him in but waited till he was in his cell. Why do I think that this event as you’ve related it is a wee bit of a Christmas tall tale? :laughing:

But enjoy your freedom during this holiday season.[/quote]

I wouldn’t be surprised although it could be some type of bail money.

She could have avoided deportation by not overstaying her visa.

This is all getting a bit harsh.

1 Like

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Soupless sermons, I call 'em.

I don’t know if the Baptists still do this, but in the old days, if they was gonna preach at you, they would provide chow. For example, at the Baptist Mission in New Orleans, they used to make (us) out-of-doors types listen to a sermon. But in exchange, they’d provide chow of some kind. At my university, one of the English teachers, who happened to be a Baptist preacher, invited me to a service there on campus, but he added that the sermon would include chili mac. They did serve chili mac, and it was good. I guess they took Bob Dylan’s “Gotta Serve Somebody” literally.

It got so I couldn’t stand a sermon without some kind of chow provision–maybe not chili mac, but at least some soup, or grits and gravy, or something.

Jeeze, you guys.
Show a little heart. I get that your points are meant to serve as a warning to others, but when someone is down, there is really no need to kick him. A bit of compassion. Please.

I’d hate to think that if I ever got into trouble here my fellow Forumosans would be jumping all over every mistake I’d ever made.
What was it that guy said when they were about to stone Mary?

1 Like

[quote=“kage”]Jeeze, you guys.
Show a little heart. I get that your points are meant to serve as a warning to others, but when someone is down, there is really no need to kick him. A bit of compassion. Please.

I’d hate to think that if I ever got into trouble here my fellow Forumosans would be jumping all over every mistake I’d ever made.
What was it that guy said when they were about to stone Mary?[/quote]
Lets hang her upside down first??

Nope. Try again.

What I’d like to know is how the cops got tipped off to this non-event. The folks I’d rather cast my first stone at are the ones who snitched to the cops.