Another big nose busted for growing weed

[quote=“urodacus”]But it is not your opinion of the drug that matters, RobinTaiwan: it’s the court’s. Change the court’s opinion, not ours. Better still, change your opinion, and please stop defending the committal of a criminal act on this forum.[/quote]Your name is on the top-left corner of my monitor, down as one of two moderators moderating this forum. You are publicly warning me to cease doing something I am not doing. [quote=“urodacus”]They take such shit seriously in Taiwan, being a land of prudes and conservative Confucian control freaks.
[/quote]That’s one reason why it’s better to stay away from weed. There’s no arguing that abstaining is not the best, and arguably, the smartest way to stay out of trouble. But if you really want to be helpful, you’d be better off understanding that thousands of foreigners will keep smoking weed.

I know I’ll be more helpful if I remind people to be pragmatic and discreet instead of preaching abstinence to them. :2cents: If this isn’t allowed on this forum, kindly let me know. :bow:

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“divea”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“divea”][quote]Does nobody remember the draconian edict painted over the doors at the arrival terminal that drug trafficking is punishable by death? [/quote]I have NEVER seen it. Seriously! I know it is there and that such a law exists, but if I missed it, surely a few others may have to. :idunno:[/quote]Here’s a fresh reminder!

[/quote]
Elvis has left the building, but thanks anyways![/quote]
That says drug trafficking. Not growing cannanbis in your house :roflmao:

Now this is the real law in Taiwan regarding possesion of Cannabis
“Cannabis is a schedule 2 narcotic in the ROC, and possession can result in up to 3 years imprisonment.”[/quote]

And…just FWIW, the sign may say that in English, but the Chinese says “selling or transporting drugs”, not trafficking. Any bust with a fairly substantial quantity will suggest sales to the authorities, I would imagine.

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”][quote=“urodacus”]But it is not your opinion of the drug that matters, RobinTaiwan: it’s the court’s. Change the court’s opinion, not ours. Better still, change your opinion, and please stop defending the committal of a criminal act on this forum.[/quote]Your name is on the top-left corner of my monitor, down as one of two moderators moderating this forum. You are publicly warning me to cease doing something I am not doing. [quote=“urodacus”]They take such shit seriously in Taiwan, being a land of prudes and conservative Confucian control freaks.
[/quote]That’s one reason why it’s better to stay away from weed. There’s no arguing that abstaining is not the best, and arguably, the smartest way to stay out of trouble. But if you really want to be helpful, you’d be better off understanding that thousands of foreigners will keep smoking weed.

I know I’ll be more helpful if I remind people to be pragmatic and discreet instead of preaching abstinence to them. :2cents: If this isn’t allowed on this forum, kindly let me know. :bow:[/quote]

I like many others enjoy a good puff, back home I ran the risk of a slight slap on the wrist. Urodacus may still be allowed to have an opinion without that becoming some sort of official site policy no? Seems like the fun of being on the site is diminished with responsibility.

But if we want to nit pick and this site should provide good advice for people travelling in these parts. Smoking weed is not looked kindly on, it takes only heresy to gain entry to your residence, and trivial amounts to send you to prison.

And if all that doesn’t persuade you to abstain, dont play the god damm bongos pissing off everyone in your neighborhood to the point they dob you in to the cops.

[quote]Urodacus may still be allowed to have an opinion without that becoming some sort of official site policy no?[/quote]I think that’s fair.

If it becomes legal in the USA, after ten years it will be in Taiwan too most likely. Other then at that time, its JAIL time for it on the 'wan so y’all best stay away from the stuff.

I hate it myself. I had roomies that puffed away every day for the months I had them. Awful shit. Just gave me a headache. I had to drink more to get rid of that awful stench. And just drive thru beserkley on friday/sat nites and you are sure to pick up a scent or two of mary.

Vile stuff tho, I wouldnt smoke it even if it was free. But thats me.

MaryJane wont get ME laid oh no.

Id rather have a nice davidoff cigarillo instead, thank you.

[quote=“tommy525”]
I hate it myself. I had roomies that puffed away every day for the months I had them. Awful shit. Just gave me a headache. I had to drink more to get rid of that awful stench. And just drive thru beserkley on friday/sat nites and you are sure to pick up a scent or two of mary.

Vile stuff tho, I wouldnt smoke it even if it was free. But thats me.

Id rather have a nice davidoff cigarillo instead, thank you.[/quote]

Dude, that’s exactly what the pope said! :laughing:

[quote=“tommy525”]

Id rather have a nice david Hasselhoff [strike]cigarillo[/strike] instead, thank you.[/quote]

Now that’s me!!!

[quote=“divea”][quote=“tommy525”]

Id rather have a nice david Hasselhoff [strike]cigarillo[/strike] instead, thank you.[/quote]

Now that’s me!!![/quote]
David Hasselhoff??? Please say it isn’t so!

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“divea”][quote=“tommy525”]

Now that’s me!!![/quote]
David Hasselhoff??? Please say it isn’t so![/quote]
It isn’t, but he’s better than Mary Jane :laughing:

Sometimes I’m stunned how so many people with thousands of posts under their belt continue to quote entire lengthy posts by others, even ones that include big fat bandwidth-gobbling photos. And then they just add their tiny little :2cents: and some other overused :slight_smile: s. Nine times out of ten there is no need to quote. It makes the thread pages look so ugly!

In my experience, any time I’ve seen a doobie offered around, at least 50% of foreigners present will partake - usually more. I’m thinking of situations involving strangers - house parties, concerts and stuff like that. Of course it is likely that nearly everyone who takes this risk could (and should) be less casual and more careful about it, but that’s just how people are. But advising abstinence to such people in a self-righteous tone is really a non-starter. A few posters have tried to be more helpful than that and they actually slapped down for it. Why is that? Weird. Yeah, that’s why I hardly bother with Forumosa anymore. I think I’m not the only one.

I suspect some of these proud abstainers are the sort of people who would just never get offered tokes anyway, wouldn’t know where to find any even if they wanted to, and maybe even just never go out to social events where people actually get excited enough to lose their better judgment and throw caution to the wind.

I suspect that the biggest bona-fide drug problem in Taiwan is teens and early-twenties kids doing K and E in private settings, undetected and ill-informed of the long-term effects and consequences. Those drugs can do significant damage to developing young minds. Busting foreigners for pot is done as a show of force I presume, sort of a form of PR for the police, perhaps to distract from the fact that they are powerless to stop the underground E and K usage. But, what do I know? This is just speculation. Maybe use of K and E is down; I don’t hear about it much anymore - not like I used to. But for me, an interesting question is still why the police would expend so much energy to stake out some relatively harmless foreigners. The effort would be much better spent enforcing other laws, I would think. Smoking pot might be a crime, but it is still a victimless crime.

For the record, I don’t condone lawbreaking, but I accept that humans often do things they really shouldn’t do. And I don’t think Taiwan gains anything by being draconian about pot. It just inhibits the development of their creative industries.

I wouldn’t want to be the sort of person who was offered tokes, knows where to find them, or even to be at a social event where people get excited enough to lose their better judgment and throw caution to the wind.

But that’s just me

As northcoast surfers picture so succinctly put it, there is no excuse for people not knowing or disregarding the laws of the country they are in. They even stamp that warning on passports as well.

Essentially, I couldn’t care less what people do in their spare time. Just don’t cry about it later because most people won’t care.

[quote=“dan2006”]As northcoast surfers picture so succinctly put it, there is no excuse for people not knowing or disregarding the laws of the country they are in. [color=#FF0000]They even stamp that warning on passports as well.[/color]

Essentially, I couldn’t care less what people do in their spare time. Just don’t cry about it later because most people won’t care.[/quote]
I don’t see it in my passport. But you’re right, it is common knowledge, besides, in most countries, ignorance of the law is no defense.

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“dan2006”]As northcoast surfers picture so succinctly put it, there is no excuse for people not knowing or disregarding the laws of the country they are in. [color=#FF0000]They even stamp that warning on passports as well.[/color]

Essentially, I couldn’t care less what people do in their spare time. Just don’t cry about it later because most people won’t care.[/quote]
I don’t see it in my passport. But you’re right, it is common knowledge, besides, in most countries, ignorance of the law is no defense.[/quote]

Really?

Perhaps not… It was a sticker that they attached to my visa when I applied. They might not attach it to everyone’s visa.

Maybe they thought I was a mule :smiley: :smiley:

I don’t have any sympathy for foreigners who get deported for doing/selling drugs, teaching kindergarten illegally, or overstaying their visas. The relevant laws are well known, and the foreigners are consciously breaking them in most cases. I don’t see what’s "self-righteous’ about this sentiment.

It is not self-righteous unless you believe you are morally superior to the violator in question. I think many of us have more common sense though. To each his/her own, but if you play the game, you pay the price. Not to sound threatening, but if you are from another country and living in Taiwan, you are on the radar. Your neighbors are curious. They will be watching and critical of your actions and audibility. As for the photos:

What a great Christmas greeting card!

And this:

Take a course in horticulture and make your risks worthwhile.

I just wonder why Sativa is listed as a Chinese medicinal herb, but Indica is excluded.

Not true. The word “self-righteous” denotes a smug, excessive or hypocritical sense of moral superiority. One can be aware of being in the right, and be aware that others are in the wrong, without being self-righteous. In any event, I haven’t seen any of that here. Just people, like me, entirely unsympathetic to foreigners who brazenly break the laws of Taiwan and then get deported. Oh what a tragedy. :unamused:

The first picture I ever took in Taiwan, way back in '97, was of just such a sign. Namely because I had had a thorough binge, on all levels, in the days, and in fact the hours, preceding my flight there. Imagine my surprise, several days later, when I found out my preservation instincts were stronger than that of my compliance, and several throwbacks to said binges were discovered in pant’s pockets, etc. A few nervous minutes, but then some great relief.

Not true. The word “self-righteous” denotes a smug, excessive or hypocritical sense of moral superiority. One can be aware of being in the right, and be aware that others are in the wrong, without being self-righteous. In any event, I haven’t seen any of that here. Just people, like me, entirely unsympathetic to foreigners who brazenly break the laws of Taiwan and then get deported. Oh what a tragedy. :unamused:[/quote]

Thanks for your expounding and correction here Ginger, but I was simply agreeing with GaoBohan on the post he made before mine. I appreciate it though.

[quote=“zaowangyeh”]It is not self-righteous unless you believe you are morally superior to the violator in question. I think many of us have more common sense though. To each his/her own, but if you play the game, you pay the price. Not to sound threatening, but if you are from another country and living in Taiwan, you are on the radar. Your neighbors are curious. They will be watching and critical of your actions and audibility. As for the photos:

What a great Christmas greeting card!

And this:

Take a course in horticulture and make your risks worthwhile.

I just wonder why Sativa is listed as a Chinese medicinal herb, but Indica is excluded.[/quote]
That was a great one liner. They were probably art or philosophy students. Hardly Dutch plant breeders :no-no:
The dude was a bongo drum playing carpenter not a green fingered Dutch man.
The judge should include the shame of being associated with such dreadful looking Cannabis plants in his sentencing. Reduction of a few months at least; I mean living with that shame would be hard to take :2cents:
If you were arrested for some beautiful looking plants you could at least claim to have been a legit pot grower but that looks like it was grown by a twelve year old lol
Anyway seriously speaking I hope they do not get done for pushing but just possession intended for personal use and that plant may help them with that.