Another Foreigner Arrested

Was watching TVBS at lunch. My Chinese isn’t good but i think they said a Canadian guy went into the 711 while the employee was in the bathroom and then used a rope to seal the employee in while he stole things, the employee managed to get out and struggle with the foreigner, fimal scene was the cops marching the perp out.

Anyone know more about this? Tvbs made sure they mentioned he was a foreigner and Canadian multiple times.

I don’t know what would be funnier:

a) The guy actually planning this long in advance, entering some convenience stores until he found one with a single employee and wait until he went to the toilet to commit his perfect crime.

b) The guy just randomly walking in a 711 with a rope, noticed the employee going to the toilet and think:“Hey, I’ve just had a great idea!”.

Mankind is truly amazing!

1 Like

[quote=“dan2006”]Was watching TVBS at lunch. My Chinese isn’t good but I think they said a Canadian guy went into the 711 while the employee was in the bathroom and then used a rope to seal the employee in while he stole things, the employee managed to get out and struggle with the foreigner, fimal scene was the cops marching the perp out.

Anyone know more about this? Tvbs made sure they mentioned he was a foreigner and Canadian multiple times.[/quote]

You got the gist of it. Apparently, the kid told the cops he needed money to visit his girlfriend - or, in order to afford his visit with said girlfriend. From what I understand, he does not have a job. At some point, I heard something about needed money to get back to Canada, but don’t quote me. Details about the situation (in English) have been a little sketchy to come by. What I’ve been told is that he’s here on a visitor’s visa. Sigh.

Additionally, I don’t know exactly when it aired (other than around noon), but TVBS needed to put a little bit of mustard on the story, so they started in with the whole “we’re worried about the foreigners” spin. Thus, they collared a couple of foreigners and asked three brief interview questions:

1. Why did you come to Taiwan (to teach English, ostensibly) and how long have you been here?
  2. Do you think foreigners are properly compensated in Taiwan? [“Properly” being the most abstract of terms].
  3. What do you think of the foreigner-slash-7-11 incident?

SOURCE: I was one of the waigouren they interviewed on camera.

what did you reply with?

the story sounds hilarious… the whole why did you come to taiwan question only makes Taiwanese look bad and insecure, they need to get over this question.

Always Canadians. Lowering the tone for the rest of us. :sunglasses:

Curious what he stole. Box of Kinder eggs?

[quote=“the bear”]Always Canadians. Lowering the tone for the rest of us. :sunglasses:

Curious what he stole. Box of Kinder eggs?[/quote]

Maybe he had to make up for a missed Valentine’s gift and aimed for the Ferrero Rocher chocolates.

‘Stole things’? What things? Last time I checked (OK, so it was a while ago), tea eggs cannot be bartered for international travel.

If he were trying to raise funds, why not rip off the till from an easier place to do over? Or steal from individuals or burgle somewhere? Just sounds like a dumbass drunken thing.

[quote=“RickRooney”]what did you reply with?

the story sounds hilarious… the whole why did you come to Taiwan question only makes Taiwanese look bad and insecure, they need to get over this question.[/quote]

My replies were fairly ho-hum. In response to “Why did you come to Taiwan?” I said, “Because I could.” And then tacked on a bit that my friend back home is Taiwanese, and he suggested I come check it out (because I was thinking about trying China), and I never left. Erm, theoretically never left, that is.

In response to the “Money” question, I said that I was quite pleased with my income and that I didn’t know anybody in Taiwan who was not happy with their salaries or whatnot, which, in hindsight, is completely true, but I wish I would have phrased it differently. EVERYBODY would like to make more money, of course. What I should have said is that I never hear anybody complaining that they don’t get paid enough. That’s because if someone ever did, I would tell them to find a new fucking job, ASAP. So sympathy isn’t one of my strong suits.

Finally, as far as the whole 7-11 thing, I simply said it was ill-advised to travel to ANY foreign country without sufficient funds, and to wit, if you don’t have any money, don’t come. It’s pretty simple.

Now, from the surveillance footage, it appears the kid was looking for the safe or the dropbox or at least a way into the cash register. I’ve seen it a couple of times and the kid is clearly out of his element, i.e. not a seasoned criminal. Desperate? Probably. Competent? Not so much. A lot of the media coverage has apparently been mocking his “ninja outfit.” Someone asked me about that off-camera and I said, “I dunno what you’re talking about.”

So the kid actually didn’t steal anything. He was apprehended in situ, by the clerk, and if I can find a link to the video, I’ll post it. It’s pretty funny actually. Most 7-11 cats are fairly tame, but this guy didn’t hesitate, and the whole time I was thinking, “There’s no way this kid is going down to the clerk.” Looked like it should have been a mismatch in his favor. Didn’t happen that way. Too bad. You lose. Try the bank next time. That’s where the real dough is.

EDIT: Spelling, and I am not sure who asked me about the “ninja outfits”, but it wasn’t the translator.

[quote=“super_lucky”][quote=“RickRooney”]what did you reply with?

the story sounds hilarious… the whole why did you come to Taiwan question only makes Taiwanese look bad and insecure, they need to get over this question.[/quote]

My replies were fairly ho-hum. In response to “Why did you come to Taiwan?” [/quote]…“pussy”, “pussy” is the go-to answer there bro. Backed up with “I couldn’t get laid back home and heard Taiwan girls were, like, real easy.”.

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“super_lucky”][quote=“RickRooney”]what did you reply with?

My replies were fairly ho-hum. In response to “Why did you come to Taiwan?” [/quote]…“pussy”, “pussy” is the go-to answer there bro. Backed up with “I couldn’t get laid back home and heard Taiwan girls were, like, real easy.”.[/quote]

I find your lack of political correctness disturbing. In a good way!

Genius idea, that.

Also another one arrested yesterday for growing marijuana in Pingtung.

[quote]Canadian arrested in Pingtung for growing marijuana
focustaiwan.tw/news/afav/201602170025.aspx

Taipei, Feb. 17 (CNA) A Canadian man was arrested Wednesday after police raided his home in Pingtung County and found dozens of marijuana plants under cultivation there, the Pingtung County Police Bureau said.

The 37-year-old man also had equipment to make marijuana cigarettes, some of which were also found during the raid, police said.

The total value of the marijuana products found at the man’s home in southern Taiwan was around NT$640,000 (US$19,230), according to police.

The raid was carried out based on an investigation following a tip-off about two months ago that the unemployed man was running a marijuana business from his rented home in Neipu Township, police said.

They said the Canadian appeared to have professional skills in breeding marijuana as he was using roots to breed young shoots and had separate areas for young and mature plants. All of the cultivation was being done indoors, police said.

The man, who has been living in Taiwan for five years, was arrested for violation of the Narcotics Hazard Prevention Act and was taken to the Pingtung District Prosecutors Office, police said.

Investigators are trying to determine where the marijuana was being sold, the police bureau said.[/quote]

Holy crap what’s going on with Canadians in Taiwan? Is there some kind of Canadian-Mafia cell based here?

So he had rolling papers and…opposable thumbs? :roflmao:

Do you really breed marijuana?

Actually, the guy has achieved his objective: by being arrested, he will be deported and hence, will go back to his GF. Might be a few months delay, though, while he “rests” in a certain Taoyuan facility. Idjit.

In a Ridiculous and Stupid Way!

Why didn’t he go straight to the police and ask them to deport him?
Call the Canadian “Embassy”.
Teach English :smiley: !

He could have asked his girlfriend (or parents) to help with the plane ticket, if he really was so broke he couldn’t buy a ticket. There are other ways besides trying to rob a 7-11.

It was clearly a cry for help.

Guy

:popcorn:

Things are bad if you are robbing a 7/11, anywhere in the world.

He’s broke in Taiwan. GF lives in Denmark. Could be kind of broke herself, who knows. And it’s rare that a 7/11 clerk will bother wrestling with a crook. All for what ? 100nt/hour they get paid?

One side note, Taiwan has some cute girl reporters.
They all seem to have that high pitched voice and talk very fast though. But thats because a high pitched voice makes the words clearer and talking fast is so they can slot in commercials that bring in the $$$$$. Am I having a conversation with myself again?