Another racist comdian

[quote=“Juba”]

I voted “no.” The victim mentality is such a waste of mental energy. Get over it, guys![/quote] :bravo: :bravo:

Besides, someone should tell Rosie that people in China are too busy to watch a bunch of over rated American women sit around a bitch and moan about “social” issues… :laughing:

I don’t agree that it is demeaning or insensitive, although I didn’t find it all that funny because the joke is kinda lame.

She’s a comedian. She’s telling jokes. We often say things in a jokes that are not polite, that poke fun at perceived differences, and go out of the way to exploit stereotypes and the oddities of different cultures. Yes, there is a line where a joke becomes in poor taste, but this is not even coming close. Let me tell you why.

Saying Chinese sounds like “ching chong” doesn’t poke fun of Chinese. It pokes fun at Westerners who can’t even make out one sound from another. Her joke focuses on a foreigner listening to news across the world in a language he or she can’t understand, not on the characteristics of the language.

It’s not racist. It’s not in bad taste. It isn’t even in a gray area. Fortunately, the joke isn’t all that good, so nobody is really missing all that much because of this ridiculous furor.

That “unity” group is just trying to get their cause spotlighted and receive some kind commiseration in the wake of Mel Gibson and Michael Richards saying what they did. Seems to me that they’re just spotlighting that Asians face less serious racism in the US than other people of color (man, I hate using that term). They get racism, but more like what whites get in Taiwan.

Well said R. Daneel Olivaw. I agree with your post whole-heartedly.

People really need to get thicker skins if they are getting offended by something as minor as this. But then again, we are talking about America. Oh no! What did I say? I forgot that I’m American. I think I just offended myself.

Yeah, I agree with Namahottie and R. Daneel Olivaw. Good posts, both!

[quote=“Quentin”][quote=“dablindfrog”]peoples the world over do try to be funny by trying to emulate the french accent, so is it now ok for me to look all upset and sue the cunts?

[/quote]

That eez differeent, monsieur, a people zat speak through their noses deserves zis mockery.[/quote]

see,that’s why those attempts are pathetic, we sound nothing like germans :raspberry:

Here in the US my mixed race daughters hear the Chinese jokes/slurs. I tell them that some people say those things to hurt our feelings and some people are just joking around. A neighborhood teen around 13 called my 8 year old a Chink (I was outside with her, but at the other end of the playground at the time with my other daughter, and the 8 year old was with friends). She asked me what ‘Chink’ was. I said it’s a disrespectful word for Chinese people. I said I would talk to the boy. She pointed him out to me a couple days later and I asked him “Did you call my daughter a Chink?” He said no, but he was lying. I didn’t blow up in his face, I just said that that is a rude word to call my daughter and that if he knows the kid who did it, to tell him he better not do it again. And it never happened again. I would have done the same thing if he had called my daughter a bitch. If you want to disrespect my children, do it behind their backs where they can’t hear you or I’m going to become your new pain in the ass. I live in a small town where people get to know you by reputation. The neighborhood kids generally leave my kids alone because they know that I’ll be on the phone to mommy if they mess with them. Probably this tactic wouldn’t work if I lived in a gang infested neighborhood, but since the majority of the parents are pretty good, it does work. The little kids from messed up homes where the parents never watch them on the playground and never come to bat for them when they are bullied are the ones that usually get bullied (unless I’m out).

Oh you still live in Mayberry. :laughing: But seriously, it’s good to hear that some communities like yours still exsist.

I live on the corner and on one side is a church that plays bells usually at 6 and on the other side is the middleschool and a park with a baseball field, a basketball court, a kiddie jungle gym, and a track. The town is 2 sq miles with rivers bordering 2 sides. We still have drugs and things, but I’m allowing my daughters (11 and 9) more freedom to go on bike rides with friends without me. They play with girls from 2 families that have family services routinely checking up on them for abuse and neglect, so it looks beautiful on the outside, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t problems inside.

I think this is more about the transition of the Asian American community in the USA and their desire to be respected like the Jewish and Black community.

and when did the world become so f’ing PC? People get offended at damn near anything these days.

As Chopper says… “Harden the f’ck up”

youtube.com/watch?v=SYCt7igDnro

Tyc00n wrote [quote]People get offended at damn near anything these days[/quote]

Yeah, like your “coon” user name; obviously a racist slur against the brothers. :laughing:

Hurdy-hur. Gurdy-gur. Chickie. Bork Bork Bork.

:roflmao: IMVHO the Asian community fares very nicely in America. They tend to create communities that support and sustains economic growth,i.e. self reliance. While they only make up 13% of the country demographics, 49% of them are college educated. The out preform minorities in the income and education sectors.

Perhaps what needs to be addressed with the Asian American community in America is the ‘role’ they are to play. I often think that many are straddled unduly with traditional constrains while trying to carve out an identity for themselves in a place that has them often pigeoned-holed.

That is true from some Asians, particularly East Asians. But South East Asians, like those whose origins are from Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand, Laos, etc. are not so fortunate.

Even the postive stereotypes like those mentioned can hinder less fortunate Asian American that are unable to meet that stereotype. As if something is wrong if they didn’t become yuppies with Ivy education. If fact in college admissions many observers feel that Asians are the new Jews, facing similar prejudices the Jews faced in the past being labelled as the new 1-dimensional “others.”

That’s one of the characteristics of a PC environment, it is all or none. This way even the “me so horny” trophy wife should be able to watch tv without having to put up with “ching chong” in the USA.

That’s true as well, but one issue at a time. The biggest issue I see for Asian Americans in the near future is probably the rise of China and the slew of allegations against those of Chinese descent that they are spies in the USA.

So of course one facet is to let the media know they don’t get a “pass” with Asians. Got to put that highest household income and ivy education to some good use.

But Asians shouldn’t get a “pass” from comedians.

The joke wasn’t racist.

And, yes, EVERYONE faces racism. You face it much less when you are the majority and less when another group’s stereotype is not so negative. In the US, Asians fit the second category.

The point here is that the “United” group doesn’t have much to gripe about in this specific case. They’re just jumping on the bandwagon and trying to stir up some recognition. It’s inappropriate. Save your cries of foul for when the wolf comes around.

that’s your point of view,the 10s of thousands working illegally in basements might not share your optimism

how exactly did you get the impression that they are far better off than south Americans or black communities is something i’d rather not begin to discuss

is that a bad thing?

they tend to work hard too, their kids are more often than not very well behaved, it’s not widespread belief amidst Asian communities that “the only way to make it is to pimp or sling 'cain”

[quote=“Namahottie”] While they only make up 13% of the country demographics, 49% of them are college educated. The out preform minorities in the income and education sectors.
[/quote]

what,according to you, is this due to?

[quote=“Namahottie”]
Perhaps what needs to be addressed with the Asian American community in America is the ‘role’ they are to play. [/quote]

so communities have a role to play?? what?like pigeon holing?

could you briefly describe what “role” you think they ought to play?

traditions have pluses and minuses, I’d say that in the case of the asian community,their hard working/studious bordering on nerdy attitude is a pretty positive trait,
well,better than the couch potato culture watching Oprah that some seem to have

i dunno; i see most others think this is overreaction but ive just rewatched it and it strikes me as offensive and ignorant…similar to richards its the delivery which is the problem…ive watched it twice and both times i’ve cringed…by all means make fun of different cultures but do so with some insight…you should never use comedy to perpetuate racist myths…which in this case is the myth that chinese is made up of a handful of sounds which are spat out…

that’s your point of view,the 10s of thousands working illegally in basements might not share your optimism

how exactly did you get the impression that they are far better off than south Americans or black communities is something i’d rather not begin to discuss[/quote]

Yes you don’t want to but make such a snide comment :

[quote]

they tend to work hard too, their kids are more often than not very well behaved, it’s not widespread belief amidst Asian communities that[color=darkred] “the only way to make it is to pimp or sling 'cain” [/color][/quote]
Don’t let popular culture and slang dictate your own thinking. It’s not widespread belief amidst Black communities that the only way to make it is to pimp and sling. Unless you really think that popular culture is the voice of Black America.

[quote]

is that a bad thing?

[/quote] No how you even concluded that I was suggesting that it was is over my head. Actually I was pointing out something good.

what,according to you, is this due to?[/quote] This isn’t according to me- it’s statistic. If you are questioning the statistics then take it up with the staticians.

[quote]

[quote=“Namahottie”]
Perhaps what needs to be addressed with the Asian American community in America is the ‘role’ they are to play. [/quote]

so communities have a role to play?? what?like pigeon holing?

could you briefly describe what “role” you think they ought to play?
[/quote]Yes communities have a ‘role’ to play. Everyone has some that they must offer to society as a whole to keep it going. The labeling of “model minority” hasn’t really enabled the Asian American community to make a greater impact in the US. Hence, why I also mention pigeon holing.

[quote]

traditions have pluses and minuses, I’d say that in the case of the Asian community,[color=darkred]their hard working/studious bordering on nerdy attitude is a pretty positive trait,[/color]
well,better than the couch potato culture watching Oprah that some seem to have[/quote]
That’s a stereotype. Called “Model Minority” Careful dablindfrog, I can see you aren’t soo ‘blind’

You say “ching chong ching chong” within earshot of my daughters and I’ll spit in your face. You don’t like my spit? Take it like a man and harden up-everyone’s got to take a little disrespect now and then. Good for the character.

I can understand if the situation was in a standup club and the comedian was Asian going through a self effacing riff. I can even understand if the person is non-Asian and Asians is one of the targets with every other group in the person’s riff. Because you have to be perceived as equal opportunity in comedy.

So if Rosie said “in China ‘Danny Devito ching chong’…in Africa ‘Danny Devito Unga Bunga’…in Isreal ‘oy! Danny Devito Hkksmuckk’” it might have been better received. The science to comedy is that you cannot be perceived as just targeting one group anymore in the USA, especially when your are not part of that group.

The second reason for the out cry is that “The View” is not a comedy show. Rosie actually plays the role of an opinion maker in a show produced by Barbara “Wawa” Walters for a certain demographic. That goes into pretty murky territory because now a lot housewives might starting thinking dehumanizing Chinese with ching chong is socially acceptable in public.

I will admit the riff wasn’t targeting Asians. The butt of the joke is Danny Devito alcohol binge with George Clooney the night before.

From a comedy stand point it was a poorly executed impersonation. Asian impersonation is not Rosey’s strong point. This is national TV; stakes are high, so even a badly executed riff has consequences.

But less discrimination is no longer the goal. If USA is striving towards a “color blind” society where “all men (and those wearing skirts)” are created equal, then standards have to set for proper public discourse.

If ignorance of the term “Chinaman,” to describe Yao Ming, and “ching chong,” to describe Chinese language, are offensive to Asian American is the issue, then the public needs to be educated.

One of the stereotypes in that is also being challenged here is Asian passiveness in the USA.

Could be too late when the wolf comes around. You could be barred from immigrating in the USA or rounded up into interment camps by then.

Not to mention it puts a crimp Asian man’s game when he wants to have a “hard and sloppy” with white women. Because the Asian guy might be thinking “Did she hear me say ‘ching chong’ or did she hear me say ‘I rove the ray your hair rooks toright?’” - said the Asian man on next Tues open mic night.

There’s a science to comedy, I’m sure of it. Too bad I failed science in high school.