Another racist comdian

Why would they think its funny and alright to taunt anyone because they saw Rosie’s statement? I’m not getting the connection.

So what? The joke wasn’t about the Chinese. I’m not certain it was even a joke. She was simply trying, in a non-malicious manner, to demonstrate what a Chinese language news report re the Danny DeVito incident might sound like to a non-Chinese speaker. How is that at all or in any way racist?

[quote=“Red Frog”]Imagine you’re a Chinese immigrant.[/quote] Don’t need to imagine anything. I’m a foreign national living in Taiwan.

My kid just remarked today that yeah, there were some assholes in the Taiwanese school who would give him shit. But, he also stated that he didn’t give a flying fuck because the taunters were… assholes. He actually made it through eight years of taiwanese school without ever feeling a need to cry that he was a victim. Can you fucking believe that shit? My boy was wise enough not to let the taunts of a few asshole kids get to him. Now, had he come home and told me that an adult had said something inappropriate to him, I would probably have had a different reaction.

But again, what has this to do with Rosie’s statements? She wasn’t making fun of Chinese people.

I’m sure it isn’t pleasant. But, niether is it excruciating. The Dagos and Micks and every other newcomer also “suffered” taunts from the locals. So what?

I guess. :unamused:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote]
Okay, so the Asian American community lost ‘face’ on this one. But shit, Blacks, Native Americans, Irish, Italians, Japanese, have all been the brunt of jokes at one point or another. Point is are we gonna scream over EVERY little joke that taunts our differences or the real ones that really can create trouble?

You know, it’s these seemingly little jokes that may create big trouble. How do you know where these things lead? The fact that other races have to bear the brunt of jokes at one point or another doesn’t make it all okay. You have to look at this problem from the point of view of the Chinese, especially those earlier Chinese who have to endure the taunts of ching chong from the local bullies. Okay - let’s say ching chong isn’t really anything. The problem is ching chong is associated with the racist put-downs these earlier chinese immigrants went through: “Ching Chong, Ching Chong Chinamen, Ching Chaing Chong.”

The Kramer joke wasn’t something so simple. That was pure uncontrolled rage. And it should have been dealt with seriously. As he went into a serious rant that used historical references to taunt those guys.

All kinds of racial taunts should not be tolerated, whether said in anger or in jest. It’s not about being PC, but showing respect.

Here she was just futzing up a language that she’s probably does have the aptitude to learn. While I can get their offense, but why is the French and other ‘minorities’ don’t have a fit when people make fun of them in poor accents?[/quote][/quote]

Because there is no historical precedent of the French language being used as a racist taunt. Anyway, the French don’t get mad, they get even.

That was unscripted and I believe comedian thought the group in question was heckling him. But later news report has it they were ordering drinks in a very loud manner.

There is a science to dealing with hecklers as well in comedy…it definitely wasn’t followed in this incident.

Rosie incident is a little worst in this case, since it was scripted, so it involved the conscious effort of the staff writers. It basically fell through the cracks of screeners, I hope they have at least one asian on staff.

Why the fuck would Rosie’s statement remind you of that? Was Rosie commenting on Chinese people, or making fun of Chinese people?[/quote]

It may encourage people to do the ching chong on some Chinese person if they think it’s funny and it’s alright. While the joke is not directly about the Chinese, the ching chong did stand out. Imagine you’re a Chinese immigrant. Your kid comes home from school telling you that his classmates are going ching chong on him because that’s what they heard someone on TV is saying and it’s funny. How would you feel? You have to remember that a lot of Chinese - especially the earlier immigrants - have memories of the local people going “ching chong” on them (not out of kindness mind you) and it’s not a pleasant experience. But I guess you would not or will not understand these kinds of things.[/quote]

Hell, I had to come home from work having to deal with "Joe"in cubicle 9 making fun of black culture. And I’m 34. You have to tell your kid the truth, there are some assholes in the world and there are some good folks. But there is no point in coddling your child from the harsh realities of life. Teach them how to value themselves and not to give a f’ck about what others thing about them…

That was unscripted and I believe comedian thought the group in question was heckling him. But later news report has it they were ordering drinks in a very loud manner.

There is a science to dealing with hecklers as well in comedy…it definitely wasn’t followed in this incident.

Rosie incident is a little worst in this case, since it was scripted, so it involved the conscious effort of the staff writers. It basically fell through the cracks of screeners, I hope they have at least one Asian on staff.[/quote]

I’ve worked in TV and film. That wasn’t scripted. It would never be scripted because the PC lawyers and executives would pick up on such a thing. She said it off the cuff. And I’m certain that there was one Asian on staff, and regrettably s/he had a ‘bad’ day.

But wouldn’t it be better to change the world just a little bit so our children won’t have to deal with this particular form of crap since a-hole will know better and keep it to themselves in public.

Too bad for Rosie then, I tried to find plausible deniability for her, now she only has herself to blame.

I wonder if I can sue those nasty bastards who wrote the title and script for “White Men Can’t Jump”? Class action suit?

I’d rather teach my boy that some people are assholes and I’d rather I knew up front who those assholes are.

Oh give me a f’kn break. I’ve become such a better person having lived in Taiwan and having to deal with racism on a daily basis. i know that I have had my ‘harp’ strings on this board but I’ve still learned alot about being someone as opposed to living a victim mentality that still permeates parts of the black community.

I wonder if I can sue those nasty bastards who wrote the title and script for “White Men Can’t Jump”? Class action suit?[/quote]

:roflmao: :bravo:

Imitation. Not everyone is a nice person. Some are immature. You’d have a Beavis who say - man that Rosie is funny with her ching chong. Let’s go over that chinese clerk and go ching chong on him.

Did I ever say the joke is racist? Did I ever say Rosie is racist? Fat she-cow with a lamest sense of humor, but I never did mentioned she is racist. Pea-brained perhaps. However you do see how ching chong can easily become a racist joke / comment because some earlier immigrant Chinese did experience ching-chong as a racist taunt.

True. But your situation here and the situation of the earlier chinese immigrants are different.

[quote=“Tigerman”]
My kid just remarked today that yeah, there were some assholes in the Taiwanese school who would give him shit. But, he also stated that he didn’t give a flying fuck because the taunters were… assholes. He actually made it through eight years of Taiwanese school without ever feeling a need to cry that he was a victim. Can you fucking believe that shit? My boy was wise enough not to let the taunts of a few asshole kids get to him. Now, had he come home and told me that an adult had said something inappropriate to him, I would probably have had a different reaction. [/quote]

Good for you, your kid is a bulldog (that’s a compliment). But not everyone is a bulldog. At any rate why should anyone suffer these kinds of things.

No she’s not, but it gives the impression that going ching chong is alright. So put a stop to it while the fire is still small.

[quote=“Tigerman”] I’m sure it isn’t pleasant. But, niether is it excruciating. The Dagos and Micks and every other newcomer also “suffered” taunts from the locals. So what?

Again you have to understand the situation based on the historical experience of earlier Chinese immigrants. As you say it is not pleasant, so why do we condone it? The fact that the Dagos and Micks did not raise a complaint - that’s their problem. Some people chose not to keep quiet when insulted. If someone starts insulting me I’ll kick them so hard up their arse my shoe will fly out of their mouth.

Naturally you won’t because you haven’t experienced it. It’s like describing the color teal to a person blind from birth. Describe to me the experience of skydiving I will not understand it totally because I haven’t experienced it. And because you, and I and every other Tom Dick and Harry haven’t experienced it that is why maybe we should not be so quick to dismiss such things.

Oh give me a f’kn break. I’ve become such a better person having lived in Taiwan and having to deal with racism on a daily basis. i know that I have had my ‘harp’ strings on this board but I’ve still learned alot about being someone as opposed to living a victim mentality that still permeates parts of the black community.[/quote]

I’m glad you agree. Be good and stay safe.

P’z.

Aside from the stupid food fight we have goin on here…I’m wonderin if anyone has checked out this dude’s point of view in the Taiwan Politics forum then checked their Websters. Hypocrite!!!

I wonder if I can sue those nasty bastards who wrote the title and script for “White Men Can’t Jump”? Class action suit?[/quote]
The lead role went to a white guy whose character couldn’t jump. You could try to sue woody for “Natural Born Killer” since he never killed anyone, unlike his father. :laughing:

Now if it was a FOB that went “Ching Chong Danny Devito” on The View, I think this issue wouldn’t even be discussed.

Like the head chef of “Yan Can Cook,” Marin Yan, is rumored of over-accenting his English for commercial appeal.

Self effacing humor is still acceptable in the USA.

The grey fuzzy line has been crossed and the Sino-Nazi have come to enforce the crooked line used to determine racial humor. No more “ching chong” jokes on National TV.

[quote=“Red Frog”]

True. But your situation here and the situation of the earlier chinese immigrants are different.
[/quote] No it isn’t. The only way it becomes different if we place imporance on time.

[quote]

[quote=“Tigerman”]But again, what has this to do with Rosie’s statements? She wasn’t making fun of Chinese people. [/quote] Truth be told, if any kid was watching that, then I would be questioning the parents. The View is generally on at 10 am. I guess in the afternoon for the West Coast. Yea, I can see where you could see that she was making fun of Chinese people, but it’s not her job to be a moral standard for other people’s kids.

[quote]Again you have to understand the situation based on the historical experience of earlier Chinese immigrants. As you say it is not pleasant, so why do we condone it? The fact that the Dagos and Micks did not raise a complaint - that’s their problem. Some people chose not to keep quiet when insulted. If someone starts insulting me I’ll kick them so hard up their arse my shoe will fly out of their mouth[/quote][/quote]. Yea but history is so PC now in America, people who grew up during the Regan age and before would only understand the ‘impact’ that this would have on someone Asian.

Oh give me a f’kn break. I’ve become such a better person having lived in Taiwan and having to deal with racism on a daily basis. i know that I have had my ‘harp’ strings on this board but I’ve still learned alot about being someone as opposed to living a victim mentality that still permeates parts of the black community.[/quote]

I’m glad you agree. Be good and stay safe.

P’z.[/quote]
Okay you I give you permission to correct the social injustice in Taiwan as you try to assimilate into Taiwanese society. Because gawd knows how annoying it is dealing with Taiwanese version of “Ching Chong” jokes on Taiwan.

I’d rather teach my boy that some people are asholes and I’d rather I knew up front who those assholes are.[/quote]
Unfortunately no one is tatooed with the word “asshole” across their forehead at birth. It would make my life easier too.

Rosie’s use of the “ching chong” was neither racist nor malicious. I think you agree with this.

Your argumant against rosie’s use of “ching chong” is about as silly as an argument that the use of the “N word” in a forum regarding racism is wrong and insensitive becuase some idiot might hear the word and use it to taunt blacks.

That has been a taunt for years. Arguing that Rosie’s non-racist use is going to encourage more use of “ching chong” in a racist manner is silly.

I think its important to call out and condemn real instances of racism. I think its dangerous to cry wolf when there is no wolf.

The situation of most Asian Americans, at least the lives of Asian-American children attending American schools, is vastly different to the situations of the earlier Chinese immigrants. So, what’s your point?

My kid was skinny, and a full-year younger than most kids in his class at the Taiwanese schools. He made a choice not to suffer.

She didn’t give an impression that it is OK to use “ching chong” in an insulting or otherwise malicious manner.

I’m actually quite familiar with the history of the early Chinese immigrants in the US. I don’t see what that history and collective experience has to do with understanding Rosie’s non-racist, non-malicious, non-insulting use of “ching chong” has to do with your assertations of wrongdoing or negligence.

I’m not condoning rude, insulting, malicious or racist taunts.

Good for you.

However, as I’ve stated repeatedly, Rosie did not insult anyone.

How would you know what I have or have not experienced?

I don’t need to have experienced racism or taunting to know what racism and taunting are. I also know what isn’t racism and taunting.

You need to figure out that not every usage of a word used in a taunt is a taunt, or racist, or malicious, etc…

Rosie’s case is the converse, where Rosie is desensitized to the offensive nature of saying “Ching Chong” to describe the Chinese language, because it is an ubiquitous racial taunt used in the USA.

Just like some sports casters were ignorant of the racist element in the term “Chinaman” and used the term in a non-malicious or non-disrespectful manner to describe Yao Ming a few years ago.

Similar to Oriental v Asian argument a decade ago.

The Asian American community is trying to shed some light on these incidents of ignorance in the US.

The thing is Tigerman, knowing something and experiencing something are totally different.

I do know she did not intend to be racist (she knows she’ll be crucified for that). The comments per se isn’t probably racist, just like nigger used in the proper context is not racist. Perhaps Rosie thinks she’s being funny. Perhaps she didn’t intend to insult. Perhaps it’s an “honest” mistake. I do not really know. Just as I do not know your life experiences and you do not know mine, and we do not know the life experiences of Chinese Americans or Chinese Filipinos, or whatever. I’m basing my case on what a friend related to me and I can see how he finds the experience of having to have ching-chong thrown in his face distressing. So why not avoid it? There are other ways to be funny without having to step on someone’s sensibilities.

Ching-chong to probably 99.9% of non-Chinese mean nothing. But to the immigrant Chinese it means all the racial taunts and hatred and inequality they have to endure growing up.

Your son chose to ignore the taunts - that is one way of dealing with it. But what if the taunts escalate because the bullies think it’s alright? I can call you ching-chong now, Chinaman tomorrow, squinty eye the day after and if there’s still no reaction, maybe drive a brick into your face next week.

There’s a lot of “taunts” or “insults” which are “accidentally” made because people do not realize these insults or taunts are offensive. But once it’s pointed out that they are offensive by a certain group isn’t it better to avoid it rather than saying people are being too PC?

I understand you point although I do not completely agree with some of it.