Another toddler dead

[quote=“Battery9”]It’s sad what happened to this child.

BUT, I am the only teacher looking after my 8 kids. All the other classes have co-workers, but mine is an English only class. So many things can go wrong…today one mom sent a package of bubblegum to share with the class. Other moms bring marbles to school…but all I see is death.

Am I morbid or realistic? Imagine I go to jail because one of my kids choke or something…it’s an eye opener.[/quote]

That’s realistic. I taught a kid, the nephew of one of the school’s office staff, who was forever putting various objects(pencils, marbles etc) in his mouth. It became tiresome taking the various objects from the kid’s mouth which I was doing due to the fact I had the worst possible scenario in my mind.

We have a car. It is small, and there is nowhere to hide. But if you were locked in, you could simply unlock the door and leave.

Other vehicles – the ones that cart kids to and from school – lack such a mechanism. You can actually lock people in to these vans.

Is that criminal in itself, or am I missing something?

Most of the school ‘buses’ are actually vans. Children lack the strength to open the doors.

On the news last night was a story about people installing litlle alarms - a toy dinosaur or something that the children could yank to let off an alarm. Let’s hope it takes off, and even becomes mandatory. They were talking about a cost of only a few hundred dollars.

Brian

Most of the school ‘buses’ are actually vans. Children lack the strength to open the doors.

On the news last night was a story about people installing litlle alarms - a toy dinosaur or something that the children could yank to let off an alarm. Let’s hope it takes off, and even becomes mandatory. They were talking about a cost of only a few hundred dollars.

Brian[/quote]

I know a school boss that is putting those alarms in A.S.A.P. He is also going to run a drill so that all the kids know exactly what to do. Perhaps there’s an accident and the driver is out and so is the teacher… little Jonny will hit the alarm.

Good idea.

while i see this as a good idea, i also see them being discontinued after a very short period of time due to the little ones constant misuse of said alarm.

some are so young that trying to explain how the alarms are to be used will go right over their heads. still, better to have and be misused than what we have now …

That’s why I suggested putting it right next to the driver or somewhere near the dash, so that when the adult is present and awake they can keep the children from pushing the button.
I once taught my students (4 years old) how to use 119, and particularly stressed WHEN you can call, even making it very clear. Should I phone 119 if Wayne hits me? Nooooo. etc. The next day my favorite brat’s mom phones in to report that the brat phoned 119 twice the night before!
When I was teaching them their phone numbers, he also memorized (I kid you not) his best friend’s number and phoned him more than six times that night until the parents phoned in to complain! How he manages to be so unsupervised that he can spend all night on the phone I don’t know.

What do you call a kindergarten student stuck inside a van?

燒朋友!
Shao pengyou!

[quote=“alidarbac”]What do you call a kindergarten student stuck inside a van?

燒朋友!
Shao pengyou![/quote] :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: Please flame away.

This is what ignore buttons were MADE for… :s

燒朋友!
Shao pengyou![/quote]

Not publicly. Just a hint.

Yah, I know. Sickening how I don’t get the whole concept of humanity, ain’t it?

/better a tasteless but funny pun than saying that an entire nation/culture puts no value on human life.
//Yeah, I know this getting trashed post-haste.

I normally wouldn’t watch Taiwanese satellite news (I’m in the US and the news is one day too late) but yesterday (Thursady afternoon my time) I watched ctiTV (Zhong Tian) and was very disturbed and saddened by that piece of news. I couldn’t sleep last night. I felt sick to my stomach. The autopy results had been out and the TV reported findings in detail. I can’t bear to repeat here what I heard.

Lots of my people (Taiwanese) simply don’t care about others and don’t put much value on life. Many would rather take risk (“Oh, that’s too much trouble/too high a cost.” “It’s unlikely to happen.” " I won’t be that unlucky.") than take precaution. Most of them have only short-term memory and they’ll forget about this tragedy (and whatever lesson) in no time. The Government has no accountibility. Citizens don’t want personal responsibiliy. And what the hell is “personal liability?”

I don’t think there would be any nice and quick legislations coming out becasue of this incident. I don’t think the enforcement of existing laws would be tightened much or long. I I don’t think enough parents/customrs would ask the right questions. I don’t think enough day care centers or preschools would implement or improve the safety procedures.

All this sounded familiar even when I think back 20 years. 10 years ago… about the same. Today, not much has changed.

alidarbac, you must have known you were going to get seriously flamed for that sick joke, so why did you post it?

It’s not so bad, my wife thought it was funny.

Try not to get so serious. It wasnt one of us that left the lkid in the van was it?

???!
Shao pengyou![/quote]
Could I get a translation so that I can be horribly offended too? :help:

I find jokes like that funny too if it’s in the humour forum, or came up as a joke at a party. I think the problem with this one is that it was posted in a forum about a kid that just died in a bus. Many of us work with kids, and the idea of how much that kid must have suffered, and of how careless and dishonest that school was, is still too fresh in everybody’s minds.
Humour is 10% good joke, and 90% timing, particularly if there is no alcohol involved. I feel the same way about everybody who joked in the hazing thread. I find it disgusting, because it is obvious that the victim was very upset about it. And I’m not exactly conservative, but it’s just…timing, people, timing…

[quote=“alidarbac”]Yah, I know. Sickening how I don’t get the whole concept of humanity, ain’t it?

/better a tasteless but funny pun than saying that an entire nation/culture puts no value on human life.
//Yeah, I know this getting trashed post-haste.[/quote]

Point taken and made. :blush:

[quote=“ajklin”]

Lots of my people (Taiwanese) simply don’t care about others and don’t put much value on life.
Many would rather take risk (“Oh, that’s too much trouble/too high a cost.” “It’s unlikely to happen.” " I won’t be that unlucky.") than take precaution. Most of them have only short-term memory and they’ll forget about this tragedy (and whatever lesson) in no time. The Government has no accountibility. Citizens don’t want personal responsibiliy. And what the hell is “personal liability?”

.[/quote]

Hmmm A taiwanese ways in. I wonder what the response will be to that? Could that self-haterd? :wink:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“ajklin”]

Lots of my people (Taiwanese) simply don’t care about others and don’t put much value on life.
Many would rather take risk (“Oh, that’s too much trouble/too high a cost.” “It’s unlikely to happen.” " I won’t be that unlucky.") than take precaution. Most of them have only short-term memory and they’ll forget about this tragedy (and whatever lesson) in no time. The Government has no accountibility. Citizens don’t want personal responsibiliy. And what the hell is “personal liability?”

.[/quote]

Hmmm A Taiwanese ways in. I wonder what the response will be to that? Could that self-haterd? :wink:[/quote]

No, that is not self hatred, but an honest self examination and cri de coeur cry of the heart. The reason most Taiwanese do not care too much about others or put much value of human life is because they are not raised as Christians. This is a godless, no values country, still being born from the great superstitious mass of ancient Chinese culture. How could they care about others or care about the value of human life, when nobody taught them? These things take time, like 5000 years, maybe more. Taiwan is just a baby country. The little kid will soon be forgotten and another one will take his place.

Eric Clapton could write a song for this place: HEAVEN

Convictions and jail time will solve nothing. See above post. This happens every few months, once a year at least, nobody ever learns, and for every new law that tries to solve the problem, another case will appear. We are living on Planet Taiwan, miranda; not the real world.