Another toddler dead

[quote=“Cola”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“ajklin”]

Lots of my people (Taiwanese) simply don’t care about others and don’t put much value on life.
Many would rather take risk (“Oh, that’s too much trouble/too high a cost.” “It’s unlikely to happen.” " I won’t be that unlucky.") than take precaution. Most of them have only short-term memory and they’ll forget about this tragedy (and whatever lesson) in no time. The Government has no accountibility. Citizens don’t want personal responsibiliy. And what the hell is “personal liability?”

.[/quote]

Hmmm A Taiwanese ways in. I wonder what the response will be to that? Could that self-haterd? :wink:[/quote]

No, that is not self hatred, but an honest self examination and cri de coeur cry of the heart. [/quote] Ahh a taiwanese person can make an honest self examination/observation on the lack of concept of humanity here. But a forgiener is making a generalzation. Hmmm… :unamused:

Why is that news? Do you know how many times people in South Africa rip off the government, or our people, or whatever? Yet when I hear a foreigner do it, even I get a bit defensive and antsy. If you are part of a certain group you have certain freedoms of speech that outsiders don’t have.
e.g. if you are part of a certain racial or gender group you are often allowed to use racial slurs directed at your own race, or sexist jokes directed at your own gender. But let anybody else do it?
Too bad so few people have been trained to debate or write essays…you can so easily justify any statement by saying “Many Taiwanese…” or “I think…” or “In some cases…” :wink:

[quote=“twonavels”]Why is that news? Do you know how many times people in South Africa rip off the government, or our people, or whatever? Yet when I hear a foreigner do it, even I get a bit defensive and antsy. If you are part of a certain group you have certain freedoms of speech that outsiders don’t have.
e.g. if you are part of a certain racial or gender group you are often allowed to use racial slurs directed at your own race, or sexist jokes directed at your own gender. But let anybody else do it?
Too bad so few people have been trained to debate or write essays…you can so easily justify any statement by saying “Many Taiwanese…” or “I think…” or “In some cases…” :wink:[/quote]

I know your point, but in this case it wasn’t antsy Taiwanese that were making a point, but defensive FORIEGNERS. And way, I’ve taken this way offff topic…Sorry, back on now.

Shi Chiung-feng (許瓊鳳), owner of kindy
Ong Chiu-hwa (翁秋華), her husband, kindy driver
Cho Meng-yuan (卓孟媛) kindy teach
Lin Mei-hwa (林美華) kindy teach

Wonder what will happen to them? Slap on wrists? Jail time? Fines? Letters of apology?

[quote=“Cola”][quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“ajklin”]
[/quote]

Hmmm A Taiwanese ways in. I wonder what the response will be to that? Could that self-haterd? :wink:[/quote]

No, that is not self hatred, but an honest self examination and cri de coeur cry of the heart. The reason most Taiwanese do not care too much about others or put much value of human life is because they are not raised as Christians. This is a godless, no values country, still being born from the great superstitious mass of ancient Chinese culture. How could they care about others or care about the value of human life, when nobody taught them? These things take time, like 5000 years, maybe more. Taiwan is just a baby country. The little kid will soon be forgotten and another one will take his place.
[/quote]

This is what I was afraid of: “The little kid will soon be forgotten and another one will take his place.” So sad!

Off topic: I’ve never used racial slurs to anyone. I don’t hate my own people although I do hate their ignorance, selfishness, and superstition, etc. I don’t think most of posters here “generalize” Taiwan or Taiwanese when they make negative comments about the place or people. I often had the same opinion or observation. I just couldn’t say too much myself. It might be seen as “self-hatred.” :wink:

Not self-hatred at all, ajklin. Self-care, self-confidence. Taiwan rocks and will keep rocking till they get it right. Do not despair. Hope has wings.

In fact, daycare deaths happen all the time in the USA. This includes a number of recent deaths of children left in school vans
klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp … v=168XGF0V
wusatv9.com/news/news_articl … ryid=40264
and this article which claims as of June 23, 10 children had died after being left in a vehicle.
washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking … -5591r.htm

I don’t mean to imply that this can’t be avoided, but it does appear much more common than just the cases we have in Taiwan.

check this link for the Google search
google.com.tw/search?hl=zh-T … dies&meta=

True, but note the following excerpts from one of the articles you linked:

[quote]The owner of the center, former state legislator Bill Lewellen, says he’s shutting down the facility in wake of the death. He voluntarily surrendered his daycare license Tuesday after meeting with state regulators. . .

. . . the Department of Human Services, which oversees daycares, says there are regulations in place that deal with this type of situation. Drivers are required to visually check the daycare vehicle to make sure there are no kids still on board. But, she says that didn

Not only must we note that there are more proactive measures being taken in the USA, we must also note that the USA has more than 13 times the population of Taiwan.

that’s apples and oranges, mate! :slight_smile:

So were the examples given.

So were the examples given.[/quote]

I concur, it’s pretty useless to compare. With that angle, it all comes down to anecdotes.