Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

No. I said he had unaddressed mental health issues and that his girlfriend at the time added to it by cheating on him. But finding out about his daughter was tough and I’m disappointed he chose that … solution. Classy gravedig to try and score points though.

Taiwan really works for his show format because it has so much disgusting food. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t enjoy the weird food shows. There used to be a British guy called Ian Wright who did one and he was incredibly annoying. “I didn’t realise it was for external use only!”. Zimmern’s “that’s gooood rat” shtick is similarly irritating.

It’s interesting how frequently chefs are former or current drug addicts. Something to bear in mind when dining out.

I remember that guy. Him and the other hosts of Globe Trekker were the forerunners of today’s influencers. I didn’t like him either, just goofy, but I adored Justine Shapiro.

‘The thinking mans hottie’ (they are in their 50s now :smile:…and how did I forget Ian Wright he was massively popular back then).

Yeah that was pre social media, thems were the days.

I’m in Europe now and we are in a post social media world. The UK has a show called naked attraction where the dating contestants are…naked.
That’s basically the whole point of the show.

The no.1 TV series is Love Island where model type people strut around half naked everyday. Its pathetic.

The only improvement is women’s football.

Wish we could have seen Anthony Bourdain open his own restaurant again. In fact I don’t think he ever ran his own restaurant?

2 Likes

Wow, you think suicide is the coward’s way out?

I hope you never experience the type of mental anguish that makes suicide appear the better option. Jesus, have a heart. Not everyone has read Camus.

2 Likes

It creates a ripple effect that destroys dozens of loved ones in that person’s circle. Maybe I should’ve chosen my words better, but I just don’t know why he couldn’t be stronger for his daughter. Having her Dad kill himself will always be one of the defining events in her life.

1 Like

It’s obviously devastating to the loved ones and friends. It’s sad, and ultimately preventable if one has access to proper mental health care. You may not suffer from debilitating anxiety, trauma or depression, which would explain why you can’t get it and why you have such a strong aversion to those to do it. Lucky you. A traumatized brain in crisis is not rational.

Remember this guy:
Mental health can crush one’s spirit and over time, one’s ability to function rationally. I am genuinely glad you seem to have no idea what I’m talking about. :bowing:

I actually have struggled with anxiety and depression, but no matter how bad things get I couldn’t imagine putting my daughter through that. It’d be like passing all my trauma down to her and then some. So I do think it’s selfish, even if it’s in the moment. But you’re right on one point; I shouldn’t have called him a coward. That was too harsh and I wouldn’t say that about my friend who killed himself (although he was single and childless).

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve known a few. They were many things, but not cowards.

When you look at the ones you love and think you only hurt them, but you can’t stand the thought of simply abandoning them. THAT kind of skewed logic. Terrible. :no_mouth:

Bourdain’s body of work makes him a legend. What he chose to do in ending his life - that’s his business. I’m not judging. But go ahead if that makes you feel good.
Zimmern lacks real talent, his show is just gross-out food eating. One-trick pony. Bourdain was so much more than that.

2 Likes

I love Anthony Bourdain. His dry, cynical, witty humour. His CNN ‘Parts Unknown’ shows kept me entertained during covid no travel period. It’s just so sad that he had to end his life.

Whenever I think about it, I’m left with anger or sadness for taking their lives.

It’s just awful all around.

1 Like

If I ever kill myself I hope it’s over before I know it.

There is always a Michael Hutchence way.