Any "American" Chinese Restaurant in Taipei?

Lees Hotel on WuFu road had walnut shrimp in the Cantonese restaurant, the menu changes by season so not sure it’s seasonal or the standard menu.

Not like that, but Chinese-American chicken at KLG Chicken has something like Orange Chicken.

I prefer the ‘Dutch Chinese’ restaurants, they have Indonesian mixed in.

A Rijsttafel would be nice.

1 Like

How about Irish-Chinese
. Chicken Balls from Panda Mama (Cork)
. Spice Bag from Xian Street Food (Galway)
. Crispy Chilli Chicken from Tung Sing (Cork)
. Duck Yuk Sung from Hang Dai (Dublin)
. Chicken Noodles from Wok in Noodle (Dublin)
. Siu Mei from Orchid (Dublin)
. Chicken Satay from Chai Yo (Dublin)
. Crispy Spring Rolls from Yuan Ming Yuan (Cork)
. Crispy Chicken from Q’s Creative Asian Dining (Dublin)
. Pan Fried Noodles with Ginger & Scallion Sauce (Galway)

2 Likes

I had General Tso’s chicken here maybe 5 years ago, I think they were claiming it as theirs at the time. I checked, it is still on the menu for Taipei residents who want to try the supposed original.

3 Likes

Was it good?

The last time I had General Tso’s Chicken—at Kao Chi in Taipei City—I thought: this is a sugared up, more oily (deep fried) version of Kung Pao Chicken. Given its relative ubiquity, I’m happy to stick with the latter as one of my guilty pleasures.

Guy

1 Like

I couldn’t really improve on that description. Truthfully I had forgotten everything about it until I saw hansioux’s post.

1 Like

Xiang ba lao is a part of the Pengyuan group, whose founder Peng Chang-kuei invented the dish for admiral Arthur William Radford in 1952.

Peng moved to the US in the 70s, and opened several restaurants named Peng’s. The one in Manhattan, Uncle Peng’s Hunan Yuan, was frequented by Henry Kissinger who really loved Genreal Tso’s chicken. It was probably popularized in the US as a result of Henry Kissinger.

The Pengyuan group in Taiwan was founded after Peng was invited back to Taiwan in 1983. So all the restaurants under the Pengyuan group could claim they have the authentic General Tso’ chicken.

The original dish created by Peng was not sweet and sour. The earliest sweet and sour version was probably just some someone calling sweet and sour chicken (most likely a form of orange chicken) General Tso’s by mistake.

2 Likes

I am glad I opened a can of worms for General Tso.
:rofl:

If true, this is another reason for me to stick to Kung Pao Chicken instead!

Guy

Unfortunately the US’ foreign policies were so influenced by the guy in the later half of the last century. The guy thought every contest is finite, each conflicts ends neatly and remains regional, so that the US can use whatever means to gain an edge, as long as we win this round, anything is justified.

That mentality surely came back to haunt us repeatedly for the last 20 years.

According to Trader Joe’s, it’s General Tsao!!
I bring several bottles of this sauce to Taiwan every time I visit back the States. I haven’t been able to find any General Tsao sauce in Taiwan.

Clearly they have modified the name to avoid copyright infringement. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

The original is 左宗棠, so it’s really more like “zuo”.

1 Like

I didn’t know Cao Cao had his own signature chicken dish

Apparently it’s actually a thing in Anhui.

1 Like

Hungry Girl Taipei has a positive review of Forks x Chopsticks.

1 Like

Wow is she still active? If so, that would be quite the sacrifice (of her intestinal health) for the service of the community!

Guy

2 Likes

As a blogger, not very often, unfortunately. I believe she’s much more active on Instagram, but that’s not an app I use.

2 Likes