Any experiences/knowledge about Adoption in Taiwan?

There’s this kid, my daughter’s age in the Philippines. I won’t go in to details, but both her parents abandoned her, since her birth. She’s being raised by my wife’s parents. My daughter and her are friends. I think they’ll make great sisters. The parents & the current caretakers are okay with us adopting her.

I asked my wife to look in to the laws/process in the Philippines. But I am more concerned about recognition in Taiwan, and dealing with TECO Manila and all that cabal again (immigration, MOI etc…).

Will we be able to bring her here easily ? Will she get rights as a daughter of a citizen ? I need to ask because I can’t even get freakin rights for my own daughter, due to the clusterf%#k that is Taiwan’s “foreigner’s” laws.

Just want to guage how many years of suffering will it take to give her a home here in Taiwan.

Any help/suggestion is appreciated.

7 Likes

I think the best you can do is to provide financial support or maybe get her over to live here and go to school here somehow.

This is from hearsay, but to qualify to adopt even within Taiwan you need to enter a years long process of training and going to sessions before you can be deemed ready (even if you have children). And if you are over 40-ish or so you do not qualify to adopt anyway as you are too old.

1 Like

I don’t know how to get her a student ARC as she is only 4. But thank you for the advice.

Adoption itself is not the point. If there’s any other way to bring her here, and get her in to a school and give her a home, I’ll look in to that.

1 Like

Could you adopt her in the Philippines and then get her a dependent visa? She would have to renounce at 18 as your first daughter to get Taiwanese citizenship.

6 Likes

Darn I never knew I couldn’t adopt over 40.

Adopting at 40 when they grew to be 20 you’d be 60 at most .

I think if you had enough money maybe she could go to school here as a foreign student . Like a weekly boarder ? I’ve heard there are decent boarding schools here .
You’d be like her legal guardian rather than adopted father)mother.
A weekly boarder is one who goes home at weekends. But home would be stay with you guys at the weekends . I think that might be an easier route if you have the money.

1 Like

I am not sure about the exact age. I have heard stuff. I just remember it is difficult and you become a less ideal adopter beyond 40.

Having said all this, everyone that is serious about adoption should do their due diligence and definitely persue that idea. Being a parent to a child is wonderful.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s doable. We are talking to relevant authorities there to see if we can get it done from there. Then, I’ll only need to figure out how to get her a dependent visa from a TECO then ARC.

I just need to check if and how Taiwan acknowledges adoption processed in another country.

I think that’s okay. In her case, the urgency isn’t citizenship, but getting a home. Even just an ARC is acceptable, initially. Just to get her in to Taiwan is the priority.

3 Likes

You’re a very good man it warms the heart.

4 Likes

That’s what was thinking.

Also, I just dealt with the Manila TECO folks. They were extremely helpful. I used an agent here in Taiwan to do my paperwork and she said the Manila folks are really great to work with.

Email them with your situation. They’ll probably get back to you asap.

I’d also contact an adoption lawyer in Manila, maybe ask about power of attorney.

And good on you! Instant sister! :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you for saying that but I think anyone in my position would do this, if they just met this child. She is kind and sweet, and it’s heartbreaking to see her alone since birth without any parents.

I actually invited her to Taiwan on visa on arrival. She was with us for 2 weeks. She’d copy my daughter and call me papa. So now I have no choice, I need to do it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot, really appreciate that.

Wow, realy ? I am surprised to hear that. Unfortunately, we haven’t had good experiences with them. We work with them like on a daily basis. My wife and I run an agency to help Filipinos in Taiwan with marriages, burial subsidies etc… We (me especially) lock horns with them quite often.

Compared to other Asian TECO, and the one in DC, yeah.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s an age difference thing and not a cut off age. Like you can’t be more than 40 years older than the adoptee, not that you can’t adopt after age 40

2 Likes

3.旁系血親在六親等以內及旁系姻親在五親等以內,輩分不相當者,不得收養。

Can someone help me understand what this means ?

The kid I want to adopt is my wife’s niece’s daughter. She is being raised by my parents in law and they are struggling to raise her. No one else is stepping up, which is why I want to do it.

I don’t know if she falls in to above category, i.e I can’t adopt her because she is an in-law of sorts.

1 Like