Any Glucometer recommendations in Taipei?

I need to finally get a handle on my blood glucose levels. I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes for 2 years now and I have been lackadaisical with my meds compliance.

After a run of what seem to be hypoglycemic episodes in recent weeks, I am starting to come to my senses. I have a longtime, regular cardiologist, who prescribes me my diabetes meds. But now I think I should ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

Also, because of my apparent hypoglycemic moments, I should start checking my blood glucose. I am told that the device itself is not really that important. What’s critical is the supply of test strips.

Does anyone have any other thoughts or experiences to share? I’ve also been told to skip the manual glucometer and go straight to getting a CGM (Continuous Glucose Meter).

#diabetes

I used freestyle libre 2 for a month (two cycles, they work for 2 weeks). Worked great, didn’t bother me. App / info is good. Cost is stupid but everything else was good. If I would need one permanently i wouldn’t have a problem with it. (I was just checking up on my levels with various diets, not diabetic).

1 Like

Can you tell me what a hyperglycemic episode feels like? I’m not sure I can ever figure out by feeling if my blood sugar is low or high. I’m also on medication to control blood sugar, I went off it for a week and seems I’m gaining weight as a result.

I don’t have diabetes, but my brother has it.
There is a chance that I could get it too.
If I ever got it, I would implement the keto diet as much as possible.

I my mind this would make a lot of sense.

1 Like

I was reading some Keto threads here. I am interested in this, too

Dizziness, light-headedness, cold sweat, exhaustion – now pick 3 or 4 out of this list all at once. It’s manageable, unless it is alot worse than you thought - at which point you could pass out or worse.

After the past couple weeks, I am looking to carry around a lollipop so I can bring up my sugar (takes 15 min, I’ve read?). Two weeks ago, I caught up with a friend at a Starbucks. I am not a coffee drinker (and my wife argues Starbucks doesn’t really serve coffee :wink: ) but half a cup of just about anything usually gets me a caffeine overdose. I thought that was what was bothering me as I rode the long way back home standing on the train.

The uncomfortable caffeine buzz usually wears out in less than 2 hours. So I was baffled when I still felt the effects many hours later. That’s when I realized it and other recent episodes could be low blood sugar instead. I do IF so that can make it worse. I checked my daily diabetes meds and what I take do not lower glucose levels.

My brother is a late stage Type 2 diabetic and is now suffering serious problems. So, I’ve got to make some major changes. Monitoring my sugar levels is a start.

Of course, checking blood regularly is key. If feel blood sugar level is too low can also use these glucose tablets as seen in picture. They work a little faster, but you need to be able to measure yourself regularly, that is important. You don’t want to eat too much of this uncontrolled.

If blood sugar is too much out of wack, it is possible to pass out.
Btw is it type 1 or 2?

1 Like

I would definitely eat too much. I have so much to learn :slightly_frowning_face:

I’m Type 2

Of course, you need to find a doctor that you consult regularly to learn what is best for you and you will check in with them every now and then. First need to find a set up that works.

I would guess that with type 2, at least in the beginning, you won’t need a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) as the pancreas still has some function but it slowly declines as you get older. However, you will need to learn to check blood sugar levels several times throughout the day, especially before meals and snacks, and act accordingly. This might mean injecting some insulin depending on your blood sugar levels and the foods you choose to eat. As you may know, carbs and sugary foods require a little more insulin than other foods. In general, it is still possible to eat them, but these insulin spikes could be the cause of the pancreas damage.

I would look into keto as these are the foods that can be digested with little insulin. I’m not saying you don’t need to inject yourself, you still need to, but the amount is much smaller. If you give too much insulin for a long period of time, there is a chance that the pancreas will start to fail faster.

I’m not a doctor. These are just my ideas. Sorry.

Thank you. I appreciate this. It helps guide my research

Well actually I am not even sure if you need the insulin injections, this depends on the severity of the diabetes type 2. I think some people just get away with lifestyle changes and medication. Thats why its important to check with doctor. He can check your status

Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are both chronic conditions that affect how your body regulates blood sugar (glucose), but they have different causes and characteristics:

Type 1 Diabetes

Type 2 Diabetes

Both types of diabetes can lead to serious health complications if not managed properly, including heart disease, nerve damage, kidney damage, and eye problems12. It’s important to work with healthcare providers to develop an effective management plan.

I want to buy blood glucose meter. I am looking for two types of them:

1. Skin patches which can be synced with smartphone. They monitor blood glucose level continuously.
  2. The one which poke a clean fingertip to get a drop of blood and then measure with a device.

Are they available in pharmacies or any other online shops? Or, do I need a prescription?

Here you can find CGM locally: FreeStyle Libre2 輔理善瞬感2【杏一】 | 熱銷推薦 | 杏一健康生活館

#2 in pharmacy, no prescription

Do you know what the #1 in pharmacy is?

Sorry, no other info