Any good Tteobokki recipes?

Yesterday me, my mom, and my sister went to the Asia market and we got Korean rice cakes and gochujang for tteokbokki or Korean rice cakes. We’ve never had it before but I wanted to try it. I heard that you need anchovy broth with dried kelp but could I substitute it for chicken broth or even just water?
Does anyone have any tteobokki recipes that are easy and tasty and don’t include green onion or cabbage? I’m really curious to learn more about tteobokki. I’ve seen it in mukbangs and it looks really good.

I recommend getting the package then adding things as you like. We add lots of good quality beef. The thin strip beef from Costco cut to size. Home cooked 떡볶이 (ddeuk pokki) varies greatly. I don’t believe you need to get fancy with the water.

Here’s a New York Times version of the recipe - cabbage optional; includes green onions, but leaving them out would be easy. I haven’t tried this; may be paywalled. And, um, I’m not sure what it’s doing with the scallions, because it adds them in two separate steps. Usually when that happens it’s adding the white part early on for cooking, and then the green parts near the end mostly as garnish, but the recipe doesn’t explain.

1 Like

TBH I’m a bit judgy on how the Tteokbokki looks and I prefer the tteokbokki with less toppings on it. Yea I’m kinda picky with foods. With the exception of sweets :moon_cake: :cake:

Anyway, my mom just printed out a recipe on tteobokki and yes it includes cabbage and green onions. Even though my mom could still omit it from the recipe, she wants to include it. My mom loves and worships da veggies so I don’t imagine she would wanna exclude cabbage from the recipe but how can I at least get her to omit the spring onions since I really strongly dislike the sharp, stinky taste and aroma of spring onions? She usually doesn’t make me eat spring onions since she knows how little I can tolerate it and she makes me eat alot of things I don’t like.

At what stage does she add them? If they’re fried early on, use red onions or normal onions instead (red onions are going to be milder, which is probably what you want; use a bit less red onion than you would green onion - and even less if it’s yellow onion). If they’re tossed in at the end, you can just leave them out; at that stage all they’re doing is adding a texture and taste that you don’t want, and the sauce is already basically done. If you really want pieces of green that aren’t green onions in there … I dunno, maybe chives? Heck, by this stage you’ve developed such a variant recipe may as well go for baby bok choi or grated carrot or something.

Already made tteobokki with my mum yesterday. It was pretty good. :slight_smile: She didn’t add green onions in mine. She added them in much later. She did add the regular onions though. They were surprisingly not bad. It was soft and its only flavor was from the sauce.
Want a link to the Korean rice cake recipe? Here you go!

You could find other recipes though. IDk which one my mom used
1 Like

Warning! Contains food noises!
I found some cheesy Korean rice cake (tteobokki 떡볶이 ) mukbang ASMR videos! This man has a great food presentation. I mostly prefer to watch the beginning part A.K.A. the presentation cuz it’s so good. :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :ramen: :oden: :cheese:

This is our homemade 떡볶이. My Korean grandmother taught my wife how to make it. There’s a pro tip step which I’ll ask my wife about and share tomorrow.

You’re part Korean?

1 Like

Yes, half Korean. Half American. Koreans will say 혼혈아 or 혼혈인 (literally 混血兒 and 混血人), or derogatorily 튀기.