Any other Forumosans in a Taiwanese quarantine hotel?

I am doing quarantine now, on day 5 or so.

I did quarantine last time at home, and it sucks way more to do it at a hotel. The food is decent though, and the service is great. The fridge was filled with on arrival and they bring more supplies whenever I write them on WhatsApp.

You basically just end up working all day, and in the evenings I do some exercise on the balcony.

Bellow some pics of the food, pretty big meals and I ended up in the end just getting for breakfast latte and fruits as 3 of the meals they offer per day is too much.

8 Likes

How are the residents of this building required to quarantine but a similar incident in Taipei could not enforce quarantining (or even testing)?

Here’s the Taipei building from last month - https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202107050023

There have been 16 people diagnosed with the disease in the complex, consisting of over 700 households in six buildings, since the local COVID-19 outbreak began in mid-May, including the three cases confirmed last week, Ko told a daily COVID-19 briefing.

But the source of the most recent infections has yet to be identified, Ko said.

To see if there are other infections, some 300 of the complex’s more than 2,000 residents who are willing to be tested will be taken Tuesday to the Heping Fuyou or Zhongxing branches of Taipei City Hospital to get a free polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test.

Maybe it’s a Taipei vs Xinbei thing?

1 Like

That looks amazing, and the fact that you have a balcony suggest to me that we are dealing with very different classes of hotels :smiley:

2 Likes

They allowed beer? Mine wouldn’t.

Sure, didn’t seem to be a problem.

There were beers in the fridge on arrival, and I can WhatsApp them and they bring more up to the room.

If I ask them to bring something from 711 they charge 5% of the delivery value, I asked them to bring cigarettes yesterday and it arrived in like 1h at the room.

1 Like

Can you share hotel and price? I’m at a government facility, which turns out to be a kinda worn-out hotel (at least my room). My meals resemble NTD 100-120 set meals.

Also, maybe because of the greater number in quarantine, the doctor comes room-by-room to administer the PCR test in the hallway. There’s no bus that we go on.

3 Likes

It’s certainly had that effect for me.

1 Like

Perú grandma bringing Delta comes to mind. I still can’t figure out the throwing out the garbage and taking a taxi -not the quarantine taxi from the airport- after witnessing the horror of death and sickness there. Sigh

Fascinating. I was told by someone who works at a quarantine hotel that it was a government rule that alcohol and cigarettes were strictly forbidden.

Anyone know where the laws are on the books about what a quarantine hotel can and cannot do/allow guests to do?

1 Like

Amba Zhongshan, same as the other guy posting about his experience further up the thread.

I got a room with balcony, its about 6k/night and includes 3 meals per day.

Haven’t seen any price list for stuff from room service(coke, beer, instant coffee bags, etc), nor has anyone told me that it cost money.

In one of the rule pamphlets it said something to the effect you are not allowed to order alcohol from outside, but you can do it from room service.

There was an ashtray on the balcony on arrival, and I asked reception if im allowed and they didn’t object …

2 Likes

While it is my understanding that adults must quarantine separately, it is my understanding that at hotels which have adjacent rooms with doors between them, you can book and the doors will be unlocked/unlockable for you. Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course…

2 Likes

Families should be together. I wish I would’ve had that option.

You just need to ask the hotels in advance whether or not that is an option with them. Or so I’ve heard…

1 Like

not to mention the beer, and fresh fruit/veg!

Ah, that explains it, mine cost about 100K less for three weeks

i would bet money or beer that it costs money, please update us after you check out!

The bleach stuff they sprayed on me ruined my black hoodie when I arrived last year. Instantly turned it tie-dye and I had to chuck it. So this time when I’m coming back I’m purposely wearing white.

2 Likes

Hey, did you need to book the government facilities in advance? How does it work? I will be flying from UK back to Taiwan soon.

Were you able to request a room with a window at the government quarantine? Do you do it on arrival does this need to be arranged in advanced?

Nm I just saw you answered. Sorry

Jesus that’s like $3,000 just for quarantine!!

I’m going to go broke

I packed my stuff in plastic bags inside the suitcase. They really shouldn’t be spraying people with bleach.

We’re been discussing in a few places whether or not it’s even legal to have windowless rooms for quarantine. To date, no one on here has posted anything about the rules/laws. When I have the energy, maybe I’ll complain to 1999 that they have laws that aren’t clearly available and interpreted quite freely (for example, some hotels say it’s a quarantine law that no alcohol can be consumed at all while others are providing it to the guests for free…)

My understanding is that government quarantine facilities always have windows (and some pictures I saw had WASHING MACHINES and BALCONIES in the room!!!). You can ask to change rooms if you’re not satisfied with the room you’re in. A government website does say that you can change your quarantine location “one time”, but I know someone who changed their room at least three times during quarantine (that was a hotel and in March though, so rules may have changed since then. It’s also possible that you’re allowed to move to other rooms in the building if you’re unhappy with the one you’re in but that you can go to a totally different location one time. I’m not a lawyer and I don’t think even the people writing the law knew what they meant.). But if government facilities all have windows and balconies, it leads me to believe that windowless rooms are probably illegal. On another thread, I asked if windowless bedrooms/hotel rooms were legal and the laws for “tourist hotels” seemed to imply they “should” have windows (but if they “have to” is a bit unclear), but there is nothing in the not-tourist hotel laws about room size, bathrooms, ventilation, etc., so I get the impression that means it’s a complete free-for-all in the non-tourist hotel market in Taiwan and Hong Kong’s “coffin houses” as hotel rooms is probably legal.

3 Likes