Any predictions on today's Apple announcement?

Well this new iTV looks awesome. 99 dollars wow. Also just added a nice new feature on our ipads also.

They should give the iTV away… will make billions on sales of movies and TV.

At 99 bucks yeah, I’m in for an Apple TV, but for content I’m definitely not going to be paying that kind of money for “rentals”… not that we’ll ever get it here in Taiwan anyway. But is it even possible to play your own content on it without streaming from another airplay device? Will a Mac Mini work? And unless I missed something, the whole app store for the apple TV never happened?

Are you guys talking gibberish or is something really happening? How about a link?

apple being apple again. they segmented the products. photos on the ipod touch are 720p 4:3. which is good enough for posting online, but it’s still only 0.7MP.

I’ll probably buy an Apple TV and wait for it to get hacked into something useful. :slight_smile:

I saw that with the new iTV there will be movie rental. Any ideas if this will be available in Taiwan and with chinese subtitles?

You can watch the replay at apple.com

The new Apple TV is designed for streaming - whether from your main computer or from iTunes / internet. So you would use iTunes to manage all your video / audio / photo content on your main computer, and stream it to Apple TV whenever you want to watch it on TV. I see myself using it more for that, than for purchasing content from iTunes.

At $99 I can see them getting a lot of these units into people’s houses. Now that they have also added easy ways to share content between your iPhones / iPads and Apple TVs, it will become harder for people to switch to competing platforms, which I suppose is the point.

Where Apple TV model really shines is driving-centric locales, such as the States. I wonder what things will look for Redbox with the Apple TV being so cheap. 99c instant gratification rental versus driving to the grocery store is a big difference. $99 is basically an impulse buy - it is brilliant that they made it so small as this will likely drive that psychology. The key thing is whether they can get the library big enough to really compete with the on-demand cable.

Also that comment about ripping mp3s… has anyone here actually ripped a physical CD in the last… decade?!? Talk about throwback!

I have a friend who knows a guy who has a friend that has the current Apple TV in Taiwan and it supposedly works great with shows from US. Probably need at least a US account.

I suppose this means that the next iPhone update in summer will feature a 64gb model. For the same price I’m going to pay for the 32gb when it finally gets here. Curse those bastards.

I predict Ping will drive the final nail in the MySpace coffin. Musicians were that site’s last refuge.

Strangely, unfortunately, yes. A lot of the Chinese/Thai DVD bootleggers also sell mp3 compilations for like 100 songs for US$2. You get it on a CD.

Not that I’m gonna be buyin an Apple anytime soon, just an observation…

The best drug dealers in the world.

But note that it will pretty much only stream video content from iTunes. It won’t handle .avi files or all those other files that may be in your Movies folder - not that any of us here have those kinds of files on our computers.

Apple’s ads are talking about streaming everything to your TV, which had me quite excited - then I looked in the forums and discovered that, no, you can’t do that. What I want is something that can simply and wirelessly stream whatever’s showing on my computer monitor to the TV in the living room.

For those of us with American or Canadian credit cards, the Apple TV may be a good thing - with iTunes, at the moment, you can get content from the iTunes US store with an American credit card, or from the iTunes Canada store with a Canadian credit card - I do the latter all the time. However, I believe this does go against their stated policy, so it’s the kind of functionality that may disappear one day. (The day after I buy an Apple TV, most likely.)

Ping isn’t for musicians. It is fb for sharing music likes. SoulSeek is what you mean. The biggest musician network on the planet. :wink:

Overall the dog and pony show was a big yawner. How many times can you repackage without doing shit? Climbing a staircase one step at a time, one year at a time.

I have an apple TV here with a US account, I can rent movies or buy them, same for TV series. Renting an HD movie, you can start watching it within seconds. Great service.
Now with the new apple TV all in HD, TV series in HD for 99c, that is great.
Now subtitles however, chinese or english for that matter.

Modifying what I said above: on my iMac, I can easily convert avi and mkv files to a format suitable for iTunes: I need to open the movie file in Quicktime, then Save As a “Movie.” You can then add that file to the iTunes library - and it’ll play through iTunes, and presumably to an Apple TV.

The conversion in Quicktime requires Permian. This is something I apparently installed. I have no recollection of when or how or why this happened. Nor do I know if anything similar will work in the Windows world.

Also noteworthy: the conversion works for subtitles; I tried an avi with a corresponding srt (subtitle) file, and the new movie, once imported into iTunes, played with subtitles. Of course, you need to find those subtitles yourself.

In sum: the Apple TV now looks fantastic. If it works like I think it should, I can stream video from my computer to my TV, and I believe use my iPhone as a remote control.

One proviso: my TV may not have the input jack. The thing’s only four years old - I think we bought the last old-style TV sold before flat-screens became affordable. But that’s something I need to check on.

(Note for those who, like me until recently, thought that something called “Apple TV” would be, you know, a TV: it’s just a little networking box designed to receive content and then feed it into your TV.)

I wouldn’t expect this policy to change. It would defeat the purpose of mobility if content you purchase from iTunes could only be used in the country of purchase.