Any recommended tax professionals?

I’m looking for a company that will basically take my tax slips and file my Taiwan taxes for me (for a fee, obviously). I am tax resident solely of Taiwan, no other countries. I just have never filed in Taiwan yet (this is my first time), so I’d rather have a professional do it for me. Something like the Taiwan equivalent of H&R Block?

It’s ridiculously easy to file taxes in Taiwan, especially if you’re only tax resident here and only earning money as an employee here, even if you read zero Chinese.

I’m sure you’ll find companies willing to charge you for it, but if you’ve got the brain cells to hold down a job you honestly don’t need one.

Besides what you wrote already, is your situation pretty “normal”, e.g., working for a Taiwanese company, all local income?

2 Likes

I moved to Taiwan part way through 2022. Work for a Taiwanese company. No foreign income. I did wire cash over when I first arrived but Taiwan better not consider that as foreign “income”.

I haven’t really even taken a stab at it myself so if it’s as easy as you say maybe I’ll be fine without. Is it all filed online? Or is it hard-copy?

Just take your withholding slip to the tax office during tax season. The earlier the better. They have assistants who will help you fill out the form and file. Completely free and they’re very helpful. The system here isn’t adversarial like in some countries…unless you’re actually trying to do something shady.

5 Likes

I don’t believe the savings or whatever you wired would be considered “income” (though it might depend on how you declared it when it arrived at the Taiwanese bank, not sure - but nothing I’ve ever wired to myself has appeared on my Taiwan tax returns). I’d just forget about that for now, unless it appears on the tax software automatically.

You can do it online or in person. There will almost certainly be people discussing it here once filing starts on May 1, but the government-issued tax software was fine in previous years (“fine” as in functional, it’s still Taiwanese government software so don’t expect an awesome visual and usability experience).

I’d just suggest playing around with it after May 1 and seeing how far you can get. It should be that all of the required fields are automatically populated with your Taiwanese income data and you’re mostly just confirming what’s there. If there are issues, you can always ask for help then (either here or at the tax office), but it’s really pretty simple.

If you’re single with no kids/dependents, you can basically subtract NT$423k from your annual income to get taxable income then apply the corresponding percentage(s) to that depending on your tax bracket to calculate your tax due.

More info here:

9). Question: What applicable deductions can a resident of the R.O.C. claim when calculating his/her income tax?-National Taxation Bureau of Taipei.

Edited to add: If “part way through 2022” means <183 days in Taiwan, you’re going to get screwed on the taxes anyway (non-resident rate of 18% on everything from the first dollar, with no exemptions/deductions). So hopefully it means >183 days!

1 Like