Any recourse when conned buying a car?

Tried to buy a car from a car dealer today, liked the car and handed over some cash, then when sorting out the documents discovered the guy selling it had lied and the car was not made in 1998 as described but actually 1995. I have a Chinese witness that heard him say it was a 1998 car. He’s now refusing to give me my deposit back. Is there any kind of consumer protection bureau in Taiwan that can help me get my money back and where do I stand legally as don’t have anything in writing to prove he said it was a 1998 car. Have not taken ownership of the car though had signed a contract before we saw the documents saying it was a 1995.

Any advice appreciated.

what you never checked the papers of the car or the chassis numbers etc?

The bureau for issues like this is called gang of friends with baseball bats

in the dodgy car sales guys mind, there is no recepit or proof you gave him any money and he probabily thinks you could not take him to court and win on this… hence he will not give it back

what contract did you sign… transfer of ownership ??? payment terms?
Got a copy of this???.. what does it say??
If he signed this and it says “mr dodgy car dealer is selling you 1 X 1998 car for XXXX dollars” then I would go back to him with a copy of the contract, slap it on his desk and ask him for your 1 X 1998 car.

several lessons learnt for the next attempt nonetheless.

[quote=“scootermonkey”]Tried to buy a car from a car dealer today, liked the car and handed over some cash, then when sorting out the documents discovered the guy selling it had lied and the car was not made in 1998 as described but actually 1995. I have a Chinese witness that heard him say it was a 1998 car. He’s now refusing to give me my deposit back. Is there any kind of consumer protection bureau in Taiwan that can help me get my money back and where do I stand legally as don’t have anything in writing to prove he said it was a 1998 car. Have not taken ownership of the car though had signed a contract before we saw the documents saying it was a 1995.

Any advice appreciated.[/quote]

Have you a receipt for the deposit?

If I understand correctly, you didn’t conclude any contract… right?