Any speculation on when/if mask mandates will be lifted

That makes sense. Also, N95s are quite pricey, so I guess not many people would like to switch.

I also changed to the 3d masks. I don’t know if it is because of my face’s shape, but it’s hard to avoid gaps with the flat ones. Also, it’s way more comfortable to talk while wearing them.

2 Likes

The regular ones are too big for most women.

1 Like

True! I even thought about switching to the ones for kids. :joy:

My wife has done this on occasion. Now, she mostly uses the more expensive/stylish/better fitting ones.

1 Like

This is a minor complaint, but I ended up giving up and cutting my beard because the mask constantly messes it up and gets in the way of the mask. The damn thing feels like a muzzle.

I know taiwanese love their masks even before COVID people, especially kids, loved to wear them. I think it’s a good idea to wear when you get sick, but wearing them all the time seems too far.

4 Likes

Yes, I wear my KN95 or KF94 in shops and on public transit. Can you get KF94 or KN95 masks there? Regular N95s are awful and are mainly for construction workers. I can’t wear them at all as they don’t fit right.

This is exactly the point. When we’re in the community transmission stage (yes I am aware that there is some dispute over this term), we don’t know who is sick, as the virus spreads prior to (or simply without) symptoms. So the assumption here is that we all assume we are sick, and therefore wear masks, to slow down the spread of the virus from those who are actually infected.

Guy

1 Like

There is no community transmission. Look at the numbers.

One in a million.

I think we know by now about the need to wait out a transmission period (before it was said to be 14 days without local cases; now it may be less). We shall see!

Guy

Oh, the old, “Human beings are vectors of disease!” ideology again :slight_smile:

1 Like

The 90+ year old queen of England got covid and she’s fine. She was vaccinated. Not long ago Chen was talking as if once 60% of people (or whatever) were vaccinated that they’d start doing away with restrictions, and yet here we are still. The virus is going to spread, but at this point, oh well.

I had a text message from CDC saying a place I had been had a confirmed case. Saying I could go in for free testing if I wanted. Why so they can throw me in quarantine if I test positive? No thanks. They need to get over it. Acting like a few cases of a now-mild disease among a vaccinated population is a national crisis requiring altering every person’s daily life.

I am not one of those anti-mask anti-vaccine “the virus isn’t actually bad” people – but we’ve reached the point where we need to move past it.

11 Likes

My expectation is that around July we will see some positive changes.

And after the summer break we will also get some restrictions lifted on quarantine requirements.

So it will be this way until December. :raised_hands:

But by that logic, wed be hiding from all fast spreading diseases with masks forever. The flu which is clearly less severe than COVID is still quite a threat to elderly
and vulnerable populations.

I’m also curious about if there’s been any studies on bacterial infections caused by masks? I can imagine having your face enwrapped by a mask with moisture building up all day would be a good way to expose yourself to bacteria. Especially since not everyone is changing out masks all that frequently.

And what about the waste disposable masks generate? How has obscuring people’s faces impacted society and mental health?

I just have a lot of questions that I’m not sure we have answers to yet

2 Likes

I feel some already have a hard time recognising feelings and emotions from facial expressions and tone in voice. Masks are not helping people learn this.

Also, personal space. Why get so close to me?

Mods, send the IP of this criminal to the CDC. He needs to be locked away.

:rofl:

Mind you in Hong Kong you would be in trouble. They’re projecting 2.5 million in quarantine within two weeks. Scary, scary stuff.

Because nobody can hear each other with a mask on. So you have to get up close to communicate.

Where the hell are they putting them? That’s a third of the population.

I can hear people just fine in a mask.

2 Likes

ha, it was optional, and it suggested I do self-health monitoring, which I did. Taking my temp daily. But only because I wanted to be first to detect a fever if I were to get one, rather than the scanners at the MRT…

I would love just once to trigger a fever alert. I’d be like, “JACKPOT what’d I win?”

Probably because you’ve both unconsciously got up close in each other’s faces.