Any Supersentai fans or aficionados from Taiwan?

Hi, I am interested about contemporary pop culture. I don’t know if any of you guys are into tokusatsu, more specifically to supersentai.

I am kind of, and you can see it from my avatar. Which is a funny thing because that’s the name of the current series which I am following (Avataro sentai Donbrothers).

I remember that my first Supersentai series which I watched on tv was Liveman (1988) which was broadcasted dubbed in spanish in my local tv way back in 1993 I guess, the Flashman (1986) aired on Channel 5 the same year, also in spanish dub in the 90s.

Many years later I watched Go Busters (my personal favorite) along Kyukyu sentai GogoFive and Fiveman. I’ve also seen Jetman, Carranger, Megaranger and Gingaman which were also good.

Then I followed the franchise until Toqger and resumed with the current.

No, I haven’t cosplay any of the characters but I’ve been tempted to do so for Bluebuster (Ryuji Iwasaki) as I share many of his catchphrases and habits, alike Fivered (Gaku Hoshikawa) and Nagare Tatsumi (GoBlue), and most recently Jiro Momotani (Don Doragoku/Don Torabolt).

Regarding toys and props, Its kind of difficult to find them in my location. How is it in Taiwan?. Is it easier or anything?.

Well, I don’t know how popular is it there so I’d appreciate your comments and share some experiences.

And because I know this will arise in the comments, I am not referring to Power Rangers to which for my taste isn’t that good, though between Lost galaxy to Timeforce were exceptions.

So, what are your views, are any fans of this program there?.

Yes!! Me! Me!

Nah, not really. What the heck is this?

It is a super hero tv show for children. The name comes from the japanese word sentai which means fighting squadron. The premise is that a group of three, five, six or more warriors fight against an evil organization, family, race, invaders from other time or dimention, which seek world or universe dominatior or inmortality at the expense of the lives from humanity.

The word tokusatsu, means special effects. So in essense super sentai is a genre belonging to japanese tv drama which uses computer generated effects and so on to recreate technological, futuristic or fantasy weapons, like robots, guns, swords, etc to fight the evil.

Unlike its American counterpart, Power Rangers. Super Sentai series is more mature and dark. Some heroes have to deal with losing a friend, a relative, coping with a disease. But it can also involve falling in love and getting married. There are also character deaths, but it is not very often. And this typically happens are someone who offers sacrifice for saving the team. In recent years this trend has kind of softened and it become more happier. Although from time to time there are such episodes. The current one Don Brothers is kind of well balanced in this though.

The wikipedia entry explains all of this well.

A while ago I was looking for a Taiwan based fandom for this, but what I found was just this.

This appears to be a live show from Gekiranger (2007) done some years ago. It appears to be that since that team had heavily influenced by Chinese motif might be the reason why it was popular.

This one is a little bit more recent from Kyoryuger (2013). Again it is a live show.

Both seasons are fantasy ones. I am not much fan of those. I’m all for technology ones.

The current one Don Brothers (2022) has the virtual reality motif and it is kind of a homage to previous seasons and it is good. So far I like its ending theme.

The funny thing about this is that in Japan there is an AV studio called GIGA which makes their own adult versions of these and also non adult ones.

Their most recent was Season 2 Wakusaver. I’ve seen it and it was good, it reminded me of the older sentais of the 80s and 90s.

Wakusaver did used AV actress for the role of Pink Earth (Nonoka Satou) and Rajura (Yui Tenma) who voiced also the Purapinu. Which isn’t that far from Super Sentai which also used former AV actresses in villain roles in the past, like Beauty Zonnete from Carranger (Rika Nanase), Shibolena from Megaranger (Asami Jo) and Kegalesia from Go Onger (Nao Oikawa) who also happens to enjoy playing Mah jong. Its also noteworthy that Malshina from the unnoficial parody Akibaranger was played by Honoka.

If I recall correctly in Season 2 Episode 10 there is even a blurred scene in Akibaranger where she is seen having an intercourse with General Tsu below the bed covers. The scene was made as a parody as during the pillow talk different tropes from previous sceasons were discussed.

All of this tells you that in Sentai there is room for very flexibility roles.

I remember a while ago I wanted to try the Go Busters dance, but I am not that good with choreography. It just happens that when I watch them doing it I just smile.

Like their crossovers with their respective teams.

Special operations Go Busters vs Gokaiger (2013)

Electrobeast squad Kyoryuger vs Go Busters (2014)

But again, I’d like to know if there is some Taiwanese fandom out there or if it is numerous. Given it has tons of toys and stuff I guess but I don’t know.

You can search them on Facebook ( 超級戰隊俱樂部 Super Sentai Club)

Also about some years ago there was an event called 戰隊系列X假面騎士SPECIAL LIVE in Taiwan

I misread that as “Super Hentai.” I’m a little disappointed, to be honest.

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s plenty of fans or aficionados of that too!

1 Like

Thanks for that information. I don’t use facebook too often but I will check what you shared. In fact I was trying to get in touch with someone on this forum, but it appears that this genre is maybe not well known or perhaps is just not the audience.

By searching on youtube it appears that the video I posted above comes from that Live show you mentioned. Given the fact of the impact of Covid pandemic. Do you think that this type of gatherings has been postponed or perhaps put on hiatus for the time being?. I don’t know any updates from those Sentai friends in that facebook page about this regard.

Something still unanswered or kind of is the availability of merch and toys. Is it easy to find let’s say latest Sentai stuff in Taipei?. Where would you typically go to get this?. I mean store or plaza.

There exists adult Sentai content. I mentioned in my reply about this studio GIGA which makes parodies of Sentai using AV actresses.

Storywise, it isn’t that bad. I mean for the non adult content which they also produce. In fact some japanese netizens have praised them for their effort given their limited budget for computer generated effects and costumes. This explains for the almost absense of guns and the iconical giant robot fights.

Despite this one of their recent entry which I believe is New Star unit Ryuseijer Rebirth uses a team cannon which is nice reminder for the classic Sentai.

Just recently they have unveiled the trailer for their upcoming series.

Based on the suit designs it appears to be a parody of Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger.

As for Hentai, Super Sentai, that exists too. But this is up for the taste of whoever is the manga artist. There is little to no story at all in these works much like the adult versions of GIGA studios. They only focus in you know what.

I think if anyone is in the mood for reading such, any adult illustration would do.

1 Like