Any Taiwan Startup experience/network to share?

Over the past couple of months, I have been knocking on many governmental/semi-government doors trying to get relevant rules, regulations and general information for a startup project bringing in new technology and investment.

Compared to experience from neighboring island economies the response to the same project has been surprisingly evasive so far. Does anybody have some good links into entrepreneur/startup organizations or events here in Taipei?

I just saw someone posting about this topic on Facebook. TIE Taiwan is the group. I’d be interested to hear your business proposal because I have one too.

1 Like

Many thanks, Pinoco. Looks like a great starting point!

I’m on my third startup in Taiwan since 2000 and unless things have changed since I last tried the Taiwan government offers no meaningful help to foreign entrepreneurs. All its startup assistance programs were available only to citizens. It doesn’t like to openly admit that though so it took a persistent Taiwanese colleague of mine to get the bureaucrats to confirm that.

1 Like

Good feedback. I can fully understand a preference and availability of assistance and in particular funding programs for citizens. What has been a bit of a surprise to me is by not responding to requests for information on relevant (technical) rules and regulations within their respective sector/ministry. I have tried making the first contact both by Email and in person, but that does not seems to make much of a difference.

Good article, thanks.
Also valid for a wider audience as the title suggest

I don’t often hire foreign talent for my clients in Taipei (95% of my candidates are Taiwanese) but I have worked with and interviewed hundreds of foreigners in the Taiwan market who work in various roles at various levels.

TLDR: the bamboo ceiling for foreigners in Taiwanese companies is impenetrable so don’t waste your time.