Any tax savings when importing an EV?

I’m looking at moving later this year and own an EV that’s both cheap and not available in Taiwan. I read that there are some very high taxes, though. Has anyone else done this, and what did it all end up costing you? Or is there a service that can take care of all of these details?

1 Like

@sulavaca can probably advice you on how bad an idea it would be.

2 Likes

It’s a poor idea in every way. Import restrictions will mean you’ll need to spend several million NT on a book of eight tickets to import seven other cars of your model. You can then sell the other tickets to other interested parties, or find someone who has already purchased the allocations from the main local gang. Then you’ll have to send it to compliance testing for another 80k or so. Then you’ll be faced with a total lack of acailable parts and no service support and if you wish to resell here, after your short, but painful and frustrating ownership then there’ll be next to no market value here.
BTW import taxes are huge and they figured out to charge tax on power output on electric cars.
Taiwan has a protectionist racket and motor vehicle cartel, so be aware.

Taiwan also has extremely few charging options.

Trust me and just buy a local Jap model. They’re infinitely more usable, reliable and cheaper to run.

6 Likes