Any teachers working at Taipei European school?

pretty much, the money is re-invested in the school facilities, although with their extorbitant fees they could do much better.

1 Like

A bit OT, but educational institutions that are ostensibly non profit are still for money. The huge increase in admin. staff in recent decades and the corresponding rise in college fees is an example. Somebody needs to tell academics what the must and can’t say, and they need to be handsomely rewarded.

1 Like

:rofl: :+1:

2 Likes

Why do I feel like every “working at TAS/TES” question thread is met with irrelevant nonsense or just no information at all? I feel like everyone should just give up on wondering how much you’d be paid there or what the working conditions are like. Go apply and work there and find out seems to be the only way to know…

If you have to ask you probably won’t end up there. I know a good few TAS/TES teachers. Either they came from overseas as part of an international school career path or they’re very networked up in Taiwan through sports clubs etc and invest time and money to get the qualifications needed.

I’m told its a minimum of 25 to 30 teaching hours.

Yeah. You get paid a lot, but DAMN. Most teachers I know have to take work home.

Also I’ve heard rumors they are opening another campus and that’s why they’re hiring a bazjillion more teachers. Any truth to this or did half the staff bolt because of Covid restrictions?

no new campus, extension of existing ones through extra buildings.
I’m not aware of any teachers that left due to covid, the ones that left finished their contract and moved on.
they were stuck with newcomers, teachers couldn’t get visas and had to teach online before coming to Taiwan.
all new teachers are now in TW and after quarantine.

I understand it is the government that has been encouraging another campus for TAS. There’s a lot of demand.

This isn’t a new issue. Interesting to see what TJS had been doing to its campus these past 9 months, and it is a only K-9 school.

sorry, I was talking about TES.

TJS looks great, I passed by and was really impressed hiw fast they built it.

Sorry, what’s TJS?

Told by whom? I don’t even think the kids are in the building for that many hours at TES

TES school hours are 8 am to 3 pm, faculty also teaches after school clubs (3pm to 4pm). Teachers need to be in the classroom from 07:40 in the morning (before that actually, kids can go in starting from 07:40)

Taipei Japanese School, across the street from TAS on Zhongshan North Road.

1 Like

Is that an optional/extra pay obligation or is it mandatory? Because in the US, it’s not uncommon to have teachers volunteer to teach sports or advise clubs, but that is usually optional (or persuaded…) and comes with overtime. I’ve worked in schools in TW, however, where they just told me to go teach a gardening club or an art club (two things I’m not qualified in any way to do) and I was expected to just give up my prep time to do it, no additional pay and no option to say no or ask to teach something I know anything about.

I don’t know about that… I know that PE teachers also run soccer/basketball after school clubs, music teacher does choir etc. but i dont know if that is part of their job description or extra.

There is languages on Saturday.

International schools are similar to US schools in that the “extra” stuff is technically optional but in actuality is mandatory. You don’t want to be the person who didn’t do anything extra when it’s time for contract renewal decisions, put it that way.

Sometimes there is no extra pay for it, and sometimes it’s a modest stipend, but it’s not anything resembling actual overtime pay for the hours worked.

Of course, if you’re at a high-paying school (like the elite international schools around the world) you may well decide it’s all worth it in the end. If you’re at a lower-paying international school or most US schools it’s a bit of a raw deal, though.

That is true of every job :slight_smile:
I also think that for teachers in international school salary is not hourly as in buxibans. their contract should state :
“your job is to teach x hours of PE a week, and run 2 clubs. Your salary will be 12345”
that is fair, and up to you if to take it or not.

Exactly— that’s what I was getting at. Full time professional teaching jobs are more like salaried corporate world jobs in that you are paid to be “full time,” which means however many hours it takes to do the work they want you to do. You’re not just being paid to work specific hours.

The contract probably has language like “other duties as assigned by supervisor.” They only specifically list the minimum, but it’s a bit like the “pieces of flair” with Jennifer Anniston’s character in the movie Office Space, where they expect more than the minimum, meaning the real minimum is different than the contracted minimum, but they don’t tell you what the real minimum is.