Anybody Not Get Into An Altercation With Locals This Week?

I’ve been reading a lot recently on these boards about foreigners getting into some pretty nasty situations with Taiwanese. I’m just curious if there is anybody out there that hasn’t had this happen? I’ve been here almost four years now and never even come close to a violent altercation. I speak fluent Chinese and never heard an insult thrown my way. So what gives? Are there a lot of people here in the same boat or am I the luckiest man alive? [/i]

I’ve never had an altercation with anyone here, in three years. Of course my lifestyle is a minimum risk lifestyle (no drugs, no bars, no nightclubs, no public drinking, no fooling around with local women - or anyone else’s women - no visiting seedy areas, no aggressive behaviour), which some people may feel isn’t really living at all. But I’ve never felt in any danger here.

I don’t drink, go to bars or pubs, do drugs, or act aggressively either. And I don’t live in a seedy area.

So far so good here. I hope my luck continues.

I had a go at a local 3 year-old for staring at me at the tea stand the other day, but had to beat a hasty retreat when thirty of his pablum-chewing big wheel-driving buddies showed up brandishing baby bottles. :doh:

Haven’t they ever heard of a one-on-one fight? :idunno:

[quote=“Dr Zoidberg”]I had a go at a local 3 year-old for staring at me at the tea stand the other day, but had to beat a hasty retreat when thirty of his pablum-chewing big wheel-driving buddies showed up brandishing baby bottles. :doh:

Haven’t they ever heard of a one-on-one fight? :idunno:[/quote]

you chicken. Didn’t you get out your knife and take them all on ?
lol (just joking of course)

I gave my cat a dirty look from the other room. When she wasn’t looking of course, I don’t want no trouble.

The nice man at the ferry ticket booth let me use the public toilets, so I didn’t piss on his booth last night. Mind you he did look just a little nervous when I asked.

In Taiwan I only had one scrap in ten years, and that was putting down a wife beater who turned on me when I intervened. And that was all over in an instant.

HG

Closest I came was in Mc’Donald’s when some old bastard I was sitting next to decided to blow a snot rocket on the floor right next to me just as I was biting into my Sausage Mc’breakfast burger.
I made it clear I was disgusted and then changed tables.

Accept for that it’s been a pretty good week. Made friends with some 83 year old guy earlier in the week and had lunch at his daughter-in-law’s restaurant today. Great beef noodles for 60 N.T. which he treated me to and then we sat out front smoking cigs and talking about the good ol’ days when the Japanese were here.
Wouldn’t believe the menu in this place and prices for food from 40-80 N.T. All translated very correctly by the old man.

ab12 -
I call those ‘golden moments’ here on the island. I always get a kick out of meeting a senior here who
a) can actually speak, or at least communicate in english.
b) will talk about the history, or their history, here on Taiwan or on the mainland before they came here.

I’ve met about 6 in my 3 + years here and hope to meet many more.

I play Chinese Chess with an old man down the road. I’m trying to defend, and he just keeps kicking my ass. Of course, he’s humouring me, he could beat me far faster in a square-go.

Personally, now that i’m about to hit the big 40, my agro has dimished, at least as far as the locals go. I’ve had more incidents with foreigner kants, than I have with the locals. 98% of locals have been most pleasant in incidents which could have escalated into violence. Especially if one is clear, and willing to defer authority to others. Others, including some furriners, have definite psy-sexual issues. These ones are usually bad at fighting, yet they talk about it without end.

Get along, go along.
Otherwise, prepare to float downstream.
:cookie:

That’s really, really disgusting!!! I look with disdain at this kind of people. I’ve never seen anyone do this inside an establishment though.

Just curious, did you talk to him in Chinese?

Or does someone know how to say ‘you unmannered piece of filth’ in Chinese?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]ab12 -
I call those ‘golden moments’ here on the island. I always get a kick out of meeting a senior here who
a) can actually speak, or at least communicate in English.
b) will talk about the history, or their history, here on Taiwan or on the mainland before they came here.

I’ve met about 6 in my 3 + years here and hope to meet many more.[/quote]

Some of these older guys can speak very well. It seems they often get the cold shoulder when they approach foreigners who probably think it’s just another language vulture. I learned to give a friendly reply and am often surprised who I meet.
The most interesting experience I had like this is when I was travelling around Taiwan with a Japanese girl. We met some guy in his 70’s I guess, who spoke English and Japanese very well. He invited us to his home and we were suprised to meet his mother! Her and the Japanese girl chatted for several hours.
Strangest one was an old woman at a bus stop. Maybe around 80,…all dressed up with loads of jade and gold and very heavy thick make-up. She stood smiling at me for a while and finally walked up to me and said, “Hey baby, wanna cigarette?” and then let out with this hysterical laugh…while walking away :s

ab12 -
Great stuff.
I’ve run into several Seniors who have returned to the island after living for may years in the US. They usually are living with their sons/daughters. They’ve have sometimes outlived their wife and now are back here with more US/American skills than Taiwan skills. Memories of their youth here and their life in the US. They are as cynical about Taiwan as most wai guos here.

The scariest confrontations I have with people here are over friendly bing lang chewin’ truck drivers that just want to be friendly. Their awful dental plans scare me.

I’ve had more problems with foreigners here than I have with locals. Except for my neighbor but she’s crazy.

I couldn’t say much while the first delicious bite going down was stuck mid-throat, deciding weather to come back out or to continue down.
It was an excellent Sausage Mc’Breakfast burger…the rare kind where everything is done just right–slightly crispy edges on the sausage paddy, perfectly melted cheese, and fresh muffin–right off the grill. He ruined that first bite :fume:
I glared at him while choking it down, stood up with my tray walking away to another table and mumbled in English, “Thank you very much”.
A few other people saw and heard the whole thing and looked embaressed.
Mr. snot rocket looked somewhat offended by my inhospitable behavior and I couldn’t help thinking that if the guy ever had a wife, at that precious moment it hopefully occured to him that maybe, afterall, she was right that he did have bad manners.
We exchanged a few nasty glances from opposite ends of the room while reading our papers as I tried washing the thought from my mouth with my Mc’cappaccino with cinnamon sprinkled on top.

Sad thing is, when I was originally deciding on sitting next to him or a group of housewives, I thought to myself…“It’ll be quieter sitting next to this nice old man”.

On a side note. I very much enjoy ordering cappaccino at Mc’Donald’s because the staff always huddle nervously at the coffee machine holding the cinnamon and chocolate shakers and then finally skip back to the counter (English question prepared in their mind) asking, “Which one do you want!?” I then point to the cinnamon and ask, “what is this?” :smiley:

I called this girl in the subway a “stupid cxxt” at the subway station the other day. Does that count or not? I have gotten better since my days of throwing metal clips at DMV employers when I didn’t feel like paying a traffic ticket.

I think people who get into trouble here, probably also get into trouble elsewhere. I have never been in a fight or anything close to it in the many years I’ve spend in Taiwan. I’ve tried a few times to break up fights between locals and foreigners during ball games, but that’s about it. On the streets I anticipate the dangers stemming from reckless driving by others and try to stay clear of trouble by driving slowly.

I’ve had plenty of nasty situations, insults and altercations from locals and I never do anything to provoke them. Oh. . . but you’re probably not referring to married life. :wink:

Hannes, I don’t get into trouble in the US. So your theory is not correct.