Anyone else getting captchas when they do a Google search?

Relieved to know I’m not alone. Been happening to me, too, for a couple of weeks. No VPN. ISP is CHT.

Been happening to me, too, for a couple of years. No VPN.

1 Like

Um … presumably that “years” one isn’t the same immediate cause? Right now I’m operating on the assumption that something odd has been going on with one or more of Taiwan’s internet providers for the past few days or perhaps weeks.

Again, this is happening for me now basically every time I do a new Google search (home wifi) after an interval of more than a few minutes. I first noticed the issue on Sunday, but I don’t know if I happened to use Google the previous few days. And it sounds like I’m not alone.

People calm down. Other than writing to google, there’s nothing else you can do. Either someone is doing something weird on Taiwan’s network or it’s a false flag. It gets sorted sooner if more people give written feedback.

2 Likes

I just get it from time to time - IIRC, the last time was towards the end of last week. But it’s been going on occasionally for a while for me.

I did wonder whether it was because I’m often repeatedly searching for similar terms when editing manuscripts, but I guess it’s more likely to be a network issue from what others have said.

Beep.

1 Like

I don’t know if this will help the investigation, but I’m not getting any captcha requests for Google searches (thankfully) and my home ISP is Chunghwa and my phone is Taiwan Mobile. I use Chrome without a VPN.

2 Likes

I think if you’re logged in to a Google account while doing the search, the chance of getting a captcha is much lower.

3 Likes

You sure?
I use CHT and didn’t get this captcha thing once.

It’s possible that the mainland Chinese are running some weird attack bots from Taiwan IP addresses. Hence the automated flag.

Cannot do it easily from a mobile device hence most devices that are affected seem to be laptops and desktops.

China is participating in a great deal of cyber interference.

I’m something of a search-a-holic. In my case I don’t think it’s the subject matter so much as the persistence. I suspect Google’s mainly set up for, like, selling stuff, and I’m over here fantasizing I’m some kind of Internet Sherlock Holmes on the trail of something. I kind of abuse the system, I guess.

2 Likes

I think that sometimes it might have something to do with IP addresses. My Internet service provider issues me “dynamic” (I guess that means changing) IP addresses, and sometimes after not being able to access a given site, I’ll check my IP address, and then check to see if the IP address is blacklisted, and oftentimes it’ll be blacklisted by one blacklisting outfit or another.

1 Like

Haha. Someone is going be very unhappy with future tech. Face scans? That’s so 2020. In a decade you’ll have simple accurate omnipotent full body scans, brain wave scans, single worldwide ID database for everything from travel to healthcare to criminal records to education to employment.

You commit a crime in Palau, you can be automatically detected by a machine in say Italy 20 years later.
Someone sitting in Taiwan knows all about all your worldwide assets. No need to file taxes anymore, because it’s all known and calculated in the cloud.

No more shell unknown companies. Every company every asset every entity will be tagged with the universal worldwide ID of the proprietors.

But hey no need of this nonsense like SIM cards, drivers licence, passport, visa when you travel. One number for worldwide access. One electronic database stores all your info - citizenship, where your authorized to travel, drive, receive healthcare.

That should create apanic of epic proportions, and not for the legal examples you provided. When that happens, watch human genetic diversity. shrink a bump or two.

1 Like

I coincidentally saw this today:

4 Likes

I am not a star trek fan, but i do know about the borg. And quite frankly this is happening now. The early steps of cyborg evolution. Its amazing how they predicted it, and i would bet long term money for my great great great grandkids benefit thats the end game.

See elon musks nuerolink and his decline into crazy coupled with everything else. Natural will become a pretty niche market soon enough.

Dig your bunkers and tunnels now…

For what it’s worth, this problem seems to have gone away for me - I haven’t needed to do a captcha in at least a couple of days now.

1 Like

i just tested, same here

1 Like

They know youre on to them…