Anyone had bad experiences with Japan-Only Appliances?

Heya mates

I bought my Wii over here (this weekend there wasn’t a single to sell (at the 25K Yen mark) in Tokyo…) and it wasn’t suppose to work because of the 100V/110V difference between Japan and Taiwan. But it does work so well we managed to try to buy some other products in Japan that we needed (talk about getting a good hand blender in Taiwan). So we are in fear in getting them to smoke, but with the qty of things being sold in Taiwan that are imported, I wonder if these babies can really take all the extra juice (10% more) without going nuts? I don’t want to blow a fresh new Inax washlet worth more than 36K Yen ( or 10K NT)…

Cheers on any response…

I don’t have any personal experience, but is the frequency rated the same?

On any given appliance, there should be a transformer (or it will be written on the box), with some information about the tolerance level. I wouldn’t operate it outside the tolerance level as you could damage the equipment (least of your worries), or start a fire!

I guess these things have a 10% tolerance and that Taiwan’s average voltage is about 106 Volts. Although I have a feeling Taiwan is 115 Volts and I used to get 112 in one flat in Taipei. UK tolerances are plus minus ten percent from 220 (used to be six from 240 I think) which means anything from 198 to 242. Do they really make a separate transformer for 110 Volts? The frequency might be important for a mains motor. Like a washing machine or summat, although I guess their speeds are all computer-controlled nowadays. Perhaps the transformers have computery things in them if the final voltage/current is crucial.

Why not check an expat site for Japan? They might have some notes on whether 100 Volt appliances work at 110V?

the problem is that he expat site relates more to Canada and US, although the info there is that normally, it works (specially in US, where avg voltage seems to be below the 120V mark).

It just pisses me off every time I go to Japan and get stumble by the amazing stuff they have over there that I cannot even imagine to find here. Not to speak about the fact that my kitchen does need some stuff (we kind of get used to cook with our “normal” appliances, so when we don’t have them, our cooking abilities are very reduced…)

It shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve never had any trouble with Japanese-made electronic products in Taiwan. The worst that could happen would probably be a slower electric clock. If you’re really worried about it, think about getting some kind of transformer.

I haven’t had any problems with Japanese appliances being used here although back home (Canada) I would run into trouble. My old minidisc player charged and played without a problem here but when I took it back home and plugged it it, it wouldnt play or recharge because of the voltage difference.