Anyone has been hiking above 3000m in Taiwan?

Since I am preparing for a 5 days trip in Nan Ho Da Shan, I am interested to find out who has been above 3000m, for how many days and of course what site, stories etc…
Anyone?

Jade mountain, 3 day expedition with 2 days on the rock in 2001.

DabaJianShan 3 days on the rock - 2002.

All fun with the right equipment.

Hiked daba with a 78 year old guy… He was able to keep up.

The guide tried to break a speed record on Jade mtn - got mild altitude sickness as a result.

Last March I was at Yushan, but only a two-day hike.

Things went mostly well, but I suffered from altitude sickness. All of us who live near sea level are likely to suffer from this if we don’t have time to acclimate. There is a drug - Diamox - which can help. It can be bought across the counter in Taiwan with some effort - I’ve included some info below about it from the UIAA Mountain Medicine Centre.

Start preparing early for the trip with daily hikes in your area. Or ride a bicycle if there are no mountains where you live. Getting in shape is the best preparation for any high-altitude mountain journey.

It was pretty damn cold at night - also be prepared for that.

Cell phones worked on the mountain ridges and summit, but didn’t work in the valleys. It is a good idea to bring one (plus an extra charged battery) for emergency use - no need to keep it turned on the entire time.

Enjoy the trip!

Diamox (acetazolamide) is of some value in the prevention of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS)

HOW TO TAKE DIAMOX
If you decide to use the drug, I suggest Diamox 125mg (half of one tablet) is taken twice daily as a trial at sea level for two days several weeks before a visit to altitude. Assuming no unpleasant side effects are experienced, take the drug in the same dose for three days before staying at 3500m and thereafter for two or three days until you feel acclimatised, for about five days in all.

SIDE EFFECTS
Like all drugs, Diamox may have unwanted side effects. Tingling of the fingers, face and feet is the commonest, but this is not a reason for stopping the drug unless the symptoms are intolerable. Dizziness, vomiting, drowsiness, confusion, rashes and more serious allergic reactions have all been reported but are unusual. In exceptional cases, the drug has caused more serious problems with blood formation and/or the kidneys. Those who are allergic to the sulphonamide antibiotics may also be allergic to Diamox. More commonly, the drug makes many people (including me!) feel a little “off colour”; carbonated drinks and beer also taste strange when you are taking Diamox.

DOSAGE
Acetazolamide - 125mg (half of one tablet), twice daily for five days and re-start treatment if symptoms return.

Now that was a great piece of advice… Will get those for the next jaunt.

I’ve been above 3000m in Taiwan several times (Daba, Yushan, Junda, Daguanshan etc and never had any altitude sickness problems. For me, altitude sickness kicks in very reliably at around 4000 meters. Everyone is different, so listen to your body, but do keep in mind that some discomfort at high altitude (restless sleep, sluggishness,increased heart beat when active) is normal.

I personally much prefer trekking between 2000 meters and 3000 meters. There is a lot more wildlife and plant life at these altitudes, and I just feel better.

Make sure you a have proper equipment, do not wander off the beaten path, and exercise common sense if you have to cross landslides (likely given the recent typhoons).

That sounds good. I have been hiking and camping all around Yang Ming Shan these last few weeks. definitly a good training. I am planning to go end of October, when the weather is a little bit cooler. :sunglasses:

[quote]It was pretty damn cold at night - also be prepared for that.[/quote] Absolutely.

[quote]Cell phones worked on the mountain ridges and summit, but didn’t work in the valleys. It is a good idea to bring one (plus an extra charged battery) for emergency use - no need to keep it turned on the entire time.[/quote] Good to know.

Yes, that’s for sure. I have been using GPS all around Yang Ming Shan, since I have been doing a bit of Off tracks (don’t tell anyone!!) :smiley: and it’s pretty reliable. But high mountain is different and I will be very careful anyway. Thanks.

Anyone can recommend a good Tent or other equipement? Mine is too old now and won’t sustain low temperature. It’s good for Yang Min Shan but that’s it. I went to Costco, but they don’t sell tent this period of time. :loco:

Get someone able to read Chinese to visit this link

You should be able to find a nice tent there, I think.

Maybe giving them a call could be a good idea as well: 03-3287722

They are in Linkou near the freeway - somewhere in the vincinity of the Changgeng hospital.

I have not used them though.

I should expand on that. Chunghwa Telecom cell phone service worked, FarEasTone didn’t. Although I don’t have much good to say about Chunghwa Telecom’s (non-existent) English-language phone services, they do have the widest coverage in rural areas.