Anyone here familiar with fair use/YouTube rules in Taiwan?

Hi there,

I’ve searched the internet (admittedly I’m not great at it, as I don’t even really know where to begin) and the forums here for ‘fair use’ rules regarding YouTube and other internet content in Taiwan. Wondering if anyone might have some insight?

First off, curious if Taiwan follows the same ‘fair use’ laws as the US and if so … would the following example situations be okay to do (if the said channel youtube was, yes, in fact monteized).

1. Using a picture from Taiwan News (maybe 2 seconds on screen) of citizens ‘lining up’ for a ridiculous food offer. Video is of a host commenting on how a lot of people in Taiwan enjoy lining up for bizarre and weird food offers in general. Picture is just used as an example.

2. 5-10 seconds of a Taiwanese TV Talk show shown in the youtube video. Youtube video is an episode of a host commenting on how bizarre ‘taiwan talk shows’ can be.

These are just examples. But essentially I want to know if it’s okay to use photos from the news and tv show clips (at short length) to support a hosts’ observations/comentary. Similar to, say, the Daily Show would do. I just don’t want to get sued lol.

Hoping someone here might have some insight and THANK YOU so much for taking the time if you do!

3 Likes