Anyone here riding a single speed or fixie?

So I have always been intrigued by the simplicity of a single speed, love their look.

Was able to buy a used one last week, pretty rusted, but cleaned up pretty well after a day of hard work.

Will built it with some used parts which i really have to get rid off, including rebuilding a Campagnolo rear wheel into a 120mm version … Not sure that will work.

Anyway, my question is about the gearing; what do people ride here, and where do they ride with it (flats, hills, mountain).
It came with 46/17, but I am thinking going 46/18 or maybe 44/17 or 18.
Any advice appreciated.

3 Likes

Why the hell did you post this in buy and sell?

Dammit it moved as I typed.

1 Like

The quirks of a phone … But changed while u were typing … Any advice on the gearing? :sunglasses:

This guy is in Taiwan, he’s a popular fixie YouTube channel.

2 Likes

My shifter broke and it’s stuck in 4th gear.

Simping around the neighborhood it’s fine but nothing more.

1 Like

Ah, great find, forgot all about him.
Thx

Fixed gear is beyond me. Worth heading over to Faith Gear to chat them up and see if they have any advice.

Nabiis cycles probably doesn’t look like a fixie shop, but I’m sure someone in the shop or visiting could share some insight.

1 Like

Paging @urodacus

Hope you at least put a front brake on. Your Campy hub will not have a lock ring to keep the cog on. Probably ok but something to consider. For gearing if it too low you will be spinning like crazy going downhill and vice versa. I will stay on the flats.

1 Like

Hi guys, been away from f’mosa for a while.

Hey @ericinformosa : I used to get away commuting in Taipei with a 42-17. Single speed mostly. i still run 42-17 on my track bike here in Okinawa, but i can’t climb much with that.

in Taipei I pushed myself up some big climbs but never Datunshan. Mostly commuting the graveyard to Academia Sinica, and it was fine for that. I would not want to go to anything much bigger.

nice looking bike by the way. nice and relaxed front end, and your weight sits back (although that will make skids harder, if that’s your thing). I much preferred clipless pedals than those pedal flaps, though. but I see how they work with sneakers.

1 Like

Thanks for all reply.

I kind of made up my mind after some more riding, will convert it to a single speed, will retain the 46T front ring for now, and buy a 18T freewheel for the rear, then see from there.
Should give me a start close to the @urodacus gearing advice.

I like the concept of a single gear, pushing the limits a bit further (I hope), but not looking for all the typical fixie stuff …

Painted the rims, flipped the handlebar, changed those pedal flaps for clipless pedals, new tires, and some more.
Still sorting out some remaining parts, including some cheapo deeper dish wheels … for the look.
Should be ready to go next week.

2 Likes

Oh I like it … a lot …
Back to basics

2 Likes