Anyone notice food shortages?

Milk supply (produced locally) always runs into trouble in summer.

As Icon mentioned, it’s too hot for the cows.

Guy

Ya but the milk isnt usually from here…especially if buying milk from costco.

So far the stocks of local Chulu milk seem fine

Shipping seems a problem with shortage of containers. Americans get less Boba and Taiwan Taiwanese less milk related to this.

2 Likes

I found yellow lemons!!

Couldn’t find watermelon, white grapes, or olives at the PX or baby carrefour though. It’s like they get new stuff to distract us from the fact they’re out of other stuff. Going try Jason’s soon.

1 Like

There is a shop selling watermelon juice and watermelons near me.

1 Like

Watermelons—great to cool down during these hot summer days!

Guy

1 Like

Yes I like big melons too.

1 Like

I noticed some stuff went up in price, rather dramatically too.

The pack of tofu that used to be 10nt each? It’s now 15.

1 Like

Hold up where is tofu that cheap? I’ve been paying 25 nt. Still a good deal compared to the US lol

Tofu is scary cheap…like actually scary cheap. I wouldnt recomend eating that stuff. For anything soy, the price is worth organic as organic soy is already dir cheap and on a huge scale (same for rice). You dont need a bunch of round up contaminated soy made into tofu with more chemicals rather than proper fermentation. Just my opinion…

1 Like

If i were to guess, i would say that is about right if nothing fuggery like is going on. Thiugh taiwan has not really stopped containers and air freight to usa. So i still have doubts.

Do you, Mr Jones? :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Has affected/delayed many things besides Boba, Melons and Milk. Taiwan has Melons of all sizes and Boba so less worry here. Many container are left in places like Alberta as no lorry drivers to bring it back to the boat which does not help, things are messed up as far as cargo and as result higher costs which sometimes shipment is cancelled as shippers balk at the cost.

price of watermelon doubled this week compared to last week (in the traditional market, was 16nt /jin now is 30/jin). carrefour has to mark up their prices and probably thought it won’t sell well。

Found some tofu that was cheap. Just as I was going to grab one an old taiwanese man took the last 6 while looking at me. Left me with the 25nt one I already had that was gross lol. God I love people.

The watermelon juice dealer near me is still selling watermelon at 10/jin

That’s crazy prices. In Italy or Greece or Spain big. Watermelon sell for 0,15-0,20euro/kg so 3-4ntd/Jin…

Is watermelon produced there? I feel like watermelon is really cheap here. At Krogers brand store in US it would be $2-5 for the amount I get now. Mind you I always get the Gucci cut up one in plastic.

1 Like

Yes, and super cheap is for like 10-15 kg watermelons. seedless ones are much more expensive, like 60-80cents per kg. So 10-15ntd/Jin. That’s at Lidl or discount supermarkets. Some farmer markets may be a lot cheaper…

Other melons are 0.30-0.80 per kg…

If you buy them in Germany imported add about 20-30 cents per kg, so the cheap ones are much more expensive at maybe 50-60cents per kg while the seedless ones are around 1euro/kg… No matter if they are imported form Spain, Italy or Greece.

I never buy precut. It’s convenience so way more expensive and less fresh…

also I heard in Taiwan the precut ones are soaked in chemicals to make them look better for longer… so it may not be healthy at all.