Apartment for people who work from home full time

Any suggestions on areas suitable for people who WFH full time?

I am getting out of quarantine in the next couple of weeks, and struggling to find which areas might be good to live in.

Ideally, somewhere with a large window and quiet during the day/night. Generally, I will be talking in quiet voices late at night due to late night meetings with PST.

A couple of options I was considering:

• High rise in central Taipei - would be easier to stay up late and sleep in late and not worry about noise. Downside of small and expensive.
  • Further out like Tamshui or Beitou - bigger space, easier access to large windows for nice WFH environment. Downside of harder to get to central Taipei for activities?
  • Room share with other WFH people - would be nice to have some social interaction with similar working people, but not sure how common that is. Downside - relatively rare/difficult to find it seems.

Was initially having a look near Zhongzheng/Zhongshan/Daan for life convenience, but I’m really fine with having to walk 10-20 minutes for stuff like restaurants/groceries.

Have tried messaging a few people on FB groups/591, but anyone looking for a roommate seems to have listing behaviours that I am not quite used to (not too much cooking, no men despite listing both sexes allowed, etc).

Have also looked into 9Floor, and the idea of a coliving space is intriguing. However, they are quite unresponsive as well.

Specific building or neighbourhood suggestions welcome! Budget is anywhere from 15k to 35k NTD.

1 Like

What’s your budget? I live near Daan Park in a newer elevator building and love it. It’s a single room loft apartment

Oh sorry I forgot that one! Ideally anywhere from 15k-35k. Would you mind sharing a link to the building or any listings available? I am quite keen on the lofts.

Simply go to the apartment finder site and put in daan park with your specifics. My place costs in the middle of your budget. You can find something really nice.

Wow! That’s good value for Daan.

Was really surprised. Carried cash with me hoping I wasn’t too late.

Small place but is all that I need. Small kitchen and really nice bathroom.

Needed a place to work with clients at all hours away from wife’s Xinyi home.

2 Likes

It comes with a seriously long couch

3 Likes

Put the couch under the loft and built desk with shelves all the way to the super high ceiling. I have a ton of audio/video gear.

Moved desk from home office and it fit perfectly as wife’s house has high ceilings as well. I didn’t have to make any cuts to the metal or wood. Perfect fit. 2 more shelves above what you see here. 3rd monitor now in front of mixer in portrait position. Lived in look today.

3 Likes

If I was thinking about WFH (or retirement), I would choose Yilan. Quieter, cheaper, but still easy to reach Taipei by car/bus if necessary, like for medical care in a big hospital.

From your initial post it sounded like you do want to have Taipei near for “activities”, though… So probably not a good option.

4 Likes

Definitely open to check out Yilan in the future. I think for now, want to get a base here in Taipei, and branch out.

1 Like

That’s quite a nice place! A really nice bathroom, preferably with a bath, is higher up on priorities for me as well.

May have to ask you for a source on those metal shelving! Looks much more capable than the typical desk included with an apt here.

1 Like

It is slotted angle iron. Just drive around and see the hardware stores around your neighborhood. Best to find the metal and wood near to your location. The store can arrange for delivery. Cut the metal to fit and put together with the fastening hardware you choose. Then cut the wood.

Made these shelves for wife’s kitchen. You can put wood over the metal if you don’t want the industrial look. Really strong and truly custom for whatever

you need.

1 Like

Going to hide everything on the top 2 shelves with a curtain that goes all the way to the ceiling. Nice pleated curtains that separate in the middle. The shelves are so great because of all the things you collect over the years. The vertical metal was cut for the ceiling height of the wife’s house so you can see the ceiling in the apartment is just a little higher.

Now, what was my home office is a playroom for our daughter and her friends. Even a 3 bedroom house isn’t big enough for a child and all of her toys.

I’ll always live in a place with high ceilings so I can the option of tall shelves if I want. Yes, I need a tall ladder to reach things. My desk is messy now but I am not ashamed.

1 Like

Will definitely check out some hardware stores after I get settled in an apartment. That looks great, especially able to hold all that luggage up top.