Apartment in Taipei/districts/miscellaneous

Thanks. It seems like a friendly place. :slight_smile:

[quote]As a Xindian resident and former Wenshan district student, I can tell you that from Xindian it is easier to go to NTNU’s MTC than Wenshan. Xindian is also a bit less “packed” than Zhonghe/Yonghe. Wenshan can be a bit more expensive, sometimes, depending, as it is considered part of the “city”, not the “suburbs/county/now New Taipei Municipality”. Zhonghe and Yonghe were/are industrial districts, with very high density of population/cars/trucks/scooters per square meter. Used to work there, bit overwhelming on a daily basis. That said, Dinxi area is very popular, close to MTC by MRT, cheap, but crowded.

Both Xindian and Wenshan, though, suffer from high humidity. Insects we do have a few, big ones the norm, sorry to say. But we are close to the mountains, fresh air. Close to the river parks, lots of sunshine and activities. Do consider that if you like a nightlife, though, taxi fare will build up. Longer distance from “hot” spots. [/quote]

Xindian or Wenshan sound like they might be the districts for me. I’ll probably check out the area around Dinxi station, too, before deciding, just to be sure. I do like to go out for a beer, once in a while, but it’s not essential to live right next to the hot spots. Do Xindian and Wenshan have night markets, though? I’m a sucker for late night snacks. :slight_smile:

[quote]Small, air conditioned rooms with your own bathroom, Internet, and cable go for 8000nts in the area, and ther are plenty, as many people like to commute to work or go to other universities in the area -Shishin, NCCU, NTU, etc. Tsui Mama is reliable, but also when you get here walking around and asking or looking at the public boards works as well. It is easier if you decide on a specific area, maybe even a block, and work your way from there.

I strongly reccommend you NOT to rent from abroad, wait until you get here. Air conditioning is indispensible, it is not a negotiable condition. I’ve seen business hotels for 1200nts, so look around those too. Last one we booked for some students was the KDM Hotel.[/quote]

8000NT sounds about right for my budget. As I said, I’m planning to come 2-3 weeks before classes start. I don’t have a day-to-day plan yet, but I’m thinking I’ll use the first week to just walk around different parts of the city, particularly the ones we have discussed here, so I have an idea of what I’d like before starting my apartment hunting.

Haha, I just checked tealit, and there’s already someone else offering Danish, but nobody is looking for it. I’ve toyed with the idea of passing myself (and my accent) off as Canadian, but I don’t think that would be a good way to start a potential friendship. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Incubus”]Here’s a recent one done by CNN:
cnngo.com/explorations/life/ … pei-041193[/quote]

Thanks. That one is actually quite interesting. I’ll have to remember to visit Treasure Hill.

[quote=“Doraemonster”]MTC has the most students, which is important to consider if you are at an advanced level because then you have more choice of classes if you go there. It is also coasting on its reputation, while the quality of service is decreasing (more students per class allowed than before; run-down, unmaintained infrastructure; bad administration where you’re an intruder not a customer, etc.) and the prices are always going up, as enough foreigners will come anyway. (All classes used to be “intensive” before (3 hours/day): regular (2 hours/day) classes were only introduced so that the price of the now “intensive” classes could go up.)

With PCCU MLC at least the building is new, and some of the teachers are actually the same in both places. It is also my understanding that at MLC there are more people from South-East Asia (Vietnam particularly), and these were always the most hard-working people in any class I attended: (1) they really need to learn as much Chinese as they can, because they want to stay in Taiwan, and (2) the tuition is a lot of money for them, so they want to make good use of it. By comparison, for many Western students, staying in Taiwan is more like holiday: they know they are going back home anyway, and are comfortable with getting only a glimpse of Chinese. Also, by Western standards the tuition fees are still low, so some people just treat it as another “visa extension fee” while they stay in Taiwan to do something else (travel, partying, etc.). Nothing wrong with that of course, but it might impact your learning environment if other people attend the class “in shifts” (ie. 50% present at any given time, and the other half was absent the day before, so there is no continuity). Also, if your class is made of people who don’t speak English, you won’t be switching back to that language, which is good for your progress in Chinese.

I am not trying to convince you to change the program now (if you want intensive, you could also be considering NTU CLD). Anyway, you will have a good time wherever you go (MTC, MLC, NTU), but, as the Taiwanese say, “don’t think too much” (ie. “don’t expect too much”): there is nothing too respectable about any of these places.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. The story of prices going up, while the service quality goes down, is all to familiar, and it’s always sad to see. I’ll still be sticking with the MTC, though, since I don’t think I’ll be allowed to switch at this point, and to be honest I don’t want the hassle of trying. I believe I’ll be given the option of switching after the first term, though, so if I’m not satisfied, I’ll probably do that.

I do plan to take my language studies seriously, though, since that’s my primary reason for coming here. I obviously want to see as much of Taipei (and hopefully the rest of Taiwan) as possible, but there should be plenty of time for that during weekends and between terms.

[quote]From my experience, if you really want to learn Chinese, the three most important things are: (1) your attitude (no-one can just shove the language down your throat), (2) your teacher (lots of interaction in class, making students talk and not talking by themselves all the time, no long digressions or tirades about foreigners, etc.), (3) your classmates (this is actually the biggest advantage of an intensive class: there is a positive selection, everyone there is willing to work more).

Hopefully you will get a good teacher at Shi-Da, there are some great ones there (and if not, help your luck by changing classes).[/quote]

Yeah, my own experience from university is pretty much the same, regarding what facilitates good learning. I’ll be ready to switch teachers at the drop of a hat, and hopefully I’ll be able to find someone who can point out the good ones. :slight_smile:

[quote]Internet is about 1,000 TWD per month; gas, about 1,000 TWD every two months; water, about 500 TWD every two months; the biggest component is always electricity, and that very much depends on your air conditioning (old vs new), it will be around 1,000 TWD to 2,000 TWD per month. (I’ve rounded everything up, so you can be pleasantly surprised. Sum up and divide by the number of people in the apartment.)

Many studios include some utilities in price, but also charge more (sometimes much more) than the standard rate for electricity. You will want to use aircon anyway, regardless of the price. Internet I guess can be cheaper if you don’t want a fast connection. You can also pay to use Wi-Fi at Shi-Da, and there is free Wi-Fi in many places.[/quote]

Alright, thanks for the breakdown. It’s nice to know what to expect. I’ll probably go for a studio, so I’ll be sure to keep an eye on which utilities are included in the rent, and how much I can expect the rest to set me back.

Is this because people don’t own warm clothes, or is the isolation just crap? As I said, I’m Danish and we get cold humid winters, too. Even so, I never turn on the heat, I just put on a sweater. I guess I’ll wait and see, and if it gets too cold I can always buy an heater then.

Haha, I hadn’t even considered that wikipedia would have articles on the districts, since wikitravel has nothing. In retrospect, it goes without saying that wikipedia would have those articles, though. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Alright, thanks. So basically, the more switches I have to make during my commute, the more expensive it’s going to be? Although I suppose that switching metro lines would be free, if you’ve already paid for the metro, right?

Yeah, I guess I might as well try to learn how to use the buses. I’m sure it’ll come in handy during my stay. :slight_smile:

Alright, thanks for the breakdown. Wenshan and Xindian do sound like the most appealing areas, although I’ll probably still look around a bit in other areas, just to form my own impression, before deciding.

[quote]Forumosa has a section for that, I think.
Taiwanease, taiwanease.com/
Tealit, tealit.com/
Shi-Da bulletin board (same as for apartments)[/quote]

Alright, thanks. I’ll keep those places in mind when I’ve arrived.

Yeah, I guess I’ll probably just stick to English.

What kind of clubs are these, and where would I find them? I’d definitely be interested in doing something to meet some locals. Anyway, I agree that it’s important to not hang around other foreigners all the time, and use English like a crutch.

[quote]I currently live in Yonghe, about 4 minute walk to DingXi MRT. A bit of everything, and LeHua night market is just around the corner. Convenient and safe.
My girlfriend’s family lives at the border of Yonghe/Zhonghe, about 3 minute walk to Yong’an Market MRT. There is a lovely, huge park (called “Number 4 Park”) behind the MRT with a library, dog walking area, etc. I would recommend those places if budget was a concern, but still want convenience and decent standard of living. Main con would be that the area is dense, filled with lots of people.

I wouldn’t recommend deeper into the heart of Zhonghe, as it is a bit too ghetto for my taste.[/quote]

Thanks. I guess I’ll check out Zhonghe, too, at least the area around Dingxi.

No problem. I’d actually been considering getting a bicycle myself, although after reading through the answers to your question, I think I’ll pass, unless I end up living in an area where commuting on a bike is ideal.

Mountain biking, basketball, baseball, etc.

Be aware that there are virtually no bars in Xindian, but if you do live near Xindian MRT station it is only 10 minutes by MRT to Shida Road.

I used to go to some bars near Dingxi and talk to locals. There is a nice wine bar, however I forgot the name of that road. Start going to some places with another foreign student. It would be helpful if they didn’t speak English.

Personally, I play basketball in Xindian. Almost no one can speak English. I would try to find a local bike club. Spend your weekends riding with locals around Taiwan. Then you will not only improve your Mandarin, but you will learn a lot about Taiwan. Once you get here try to find someone to help you out.

I would also recommend watching cartoons on TV in your free time.

It is definitely a good idea in my opinion to consider an apartment near Qizhang MRT, Xindian City Hall, and Xindian MRT station. For example you might get a 7 ping apartment near Shida for 8,000-10,000. In Xindian, you can find a larger room for the same money.

There’s a night market in Jingmei. There’s one in Zhonghe. Xindian, I don’t know. Other close night markets include Gongguan (near NTU) and Tonghua (Tonghua St and Linjiang St, closest MRT is Liuzhangli). There was a Shida night market, but it was shut down recently (someone please confirm, I haven’t been there for a while, only read it in the news).

You don’t want to live too close to a night market though: there will be cockroaches, rats, noise - especially from scooters - well into the night in adjacent lanes, and sometimes you might even find it difficult to walk back home if you return in the evening (the Chinese call it: “people mountain, people sea”).

You will only have a few days’ break between terms. It won’t be enough too see a lot. You can skip classes though, just make sure you don’t skip too much. There will be some Shida-organized trips, you may consider them.

The isolation is crap or, more precisely, there is no isolation at all. And the windows are terrible (single-pane, poorly sealed, etc. - even in new buildings, also not sound-proof at all). So don’t rent a noisy apartment hoping it will get quiet once you close the windows: it won’t.

If you go for the no-heater route (or want to visit the high mountains), bring a polar jacket: these are dirt-cheap in Europe, and expensive here.

For metro, the fare depends on the distance between origin and destination. The distances are calculated across the network and pre-defined. You can go anywhere (within 2 or 3 hours), and the price will be the same as long as you touch in and touch out at the same stations.
See here for more info: english.trtc.com.tw/

You can always post Danish as well for the novelty factor, it might attract some more interesting people and fend off the “teach me how to pass the TOEFL” crowd. I’d do language exchange with you :slight_smile: (but I’m leaving).

Cycling is great here for fun or exercise (if you don’t have any particular destination in the city). You don’t need to own a bike: there’s a well-developed rental system, and you can return the bike in a different place than where you started (and take MRT back). If you want a simple bike for commuting and don’t want to worry it might get stolen, there are auctions of cheap bicycles every September at NTU.

Yep, Xindian per se has no night market, the closest is Jinmei. Same advice here on living too close to markets or night markets -even though I live on top of one myself.

There is a pretty interesting area in Nanshijiao (Zhonghe) by the MRT station there is a night market and an ethnic food area, while behind there are mountain trails and temples. But it is also quite crowded and local, not everyone’s cup of tea.

Dinxi also has night market life and it is one station away from Kuting.

I was thinking that if you attend NTU you have to walk less. I used to do the Xindian/MTC route in 15 minutes flat, with time to buy a breakfast sandwich on the way, but NTU is closer to the MRT.

The problem with Wenshan is double: there is no direct MRT line to connect to MTC area, hence, you depend on bus or MRT/bus transfer. And I really do not trust the brown MRT line: as it is elevated, it is more exposed to the elements, hence a heavy rain, quake, whatever will make it stop more frequently. Buses are confy, but traffic is heavy and getting stuck in a bottleneck when you are late is no fun.

The bike trails are extensive and there are lots of activities related to cycling.

Yes, but unfortunately the Chinese Language Division building is adjacent to Xinhai Rd, on the opposite side of the campus. It’s equally close (or equally far, if you prefer) from MRT Gongguan and MRT Tech Bldg: about 15 minutes’ (fast) walk at least from either station. (See the location on NTU campus map)

There were some issues with the brown line initially after it was extended to Neihu. Just after some major politico announced the extension was fully operational, there was an incident when people were left stranded in between the stations, and needed to walk to the nearest emergency exit. I guess that’s what earned it the reputation.

In practice though, Taipei MRT is very reliable, and the brown line is no exception nowadays: I’ve been using it on a daily basis since May last year, and have never experienced any disruption. (I’ve just spent 15 minutes looking for some statistics to verify that claim, but was unable to find any raw numbers.) Delays (if any) usually occur at Taipei Main Station or Zhongxiao Fuxing when too many people try to get on the train and the doors cannot close, or due to suicides.

By the way, the red line (merged with green line until at least 2014) is also elevated north of Minquan W Rd, so if something happens to elevated lines, it will also affect the green line. And the biggest service disruption so far was due to post-typhoon flooding in 2001: the Muzha line reopened the next day, while the rest of the system was closed for 3 months. :slight_smile:

One thing about the brown line though is that it’s slower than the other lines, especially in certain places (90-degree turn at Tech Bldg-Liuzhangli and between Xinhai and Wanfang Hospital).

Why the urge to stay in Taiwan? economical?

Try using Google Chrome and visit www.591.com.tw.

The translation is not 100% but the site is fairly useful. I recently moved to Taipei and used the site to find my apartment.

Thanks again for the help, everybody. You guys are great.

[quote=“steelersman”]Mountain biking, basketball, baseball, etc.

Be aware that there are virtually no bars in Xindian, but if you do live near Xindian MRT station it is only 10 minutes by MRT to Shi-Da Road.

I used to go to some bars near Dingxi and talk to locals. There is a nice wine bar, however I forgot the name of that road. Start going to some places with another foreign student. It would be helpful if they didn’t speak English.

Personally, I play basketball in Xindian. Almost no one can speak English. I would try to find a local bike club. Spend your weekends riding with locals around Taiwan. Then you will not only improve your Mandarin, but you will learn a lot about Taiwan. Once you get here try to find someone to help you out.

I would also recommend watching cartoons on TV in your free time.[/quote]

I can do without bars in my immediate area. I usually don’t go out drinking that often, so I’d probably only go if someone invited me, or if one of my friends from home were to visit. At what time does the public transportation close down, btw? I don’t suppose the MRT runs all night?

I suppose I’d have to buy myself a mountain bike, if I were to join a bike club, right? Or are the rent bikes good enough for that sort of thing?

Are the cartoons particularly good in Taiwan, or is that just a good way to practice listening skills? Either way, I would like to watch a bit of Taiwanese tv, just to see what it’s like.

Cool, I’ll make a note of those stations. Thanks.

[quote=“Doraemonster”]There’s a night market in Jingmei. There’s one in Zhonghe. Xindian, I don’t know. Other close night markets include Gongguan (near NTU) and Tonghua (Tonghua St and Linjiang St, closest MRT is Liuzhangli). There was a Shi-Da night market, but it was shut down recently (someone please confirm, I haven’t been there for a while, only read it in the news).

You don’t want to live too close to a night market though: there will be cockroaches, rats, noise - especially from scooters - well into the night in adjacent lanes, and sometimes you might even find it difficult to walk back home if you return in the evening (the Chinese call it: “people mountain, people sea”).[/quote]

And with that, night markets are out of the question. There’s no way I’m living near a major insect infestation. Just to be clear, though, how close is close, in regards to living close to a night market?

Can I ask why the Shi-da night market was closed, if anyone knows? I’ve heard that many of the small, cheap eateries in that area have closed, supposedly because the area has become too posh, so I guess that might be the reason.

Also, are there any places besides night markets that might be open for a late night snack? At what time do restaurants and food places usually close?

Really? Looking at the class schedule, it seems that there is usually a week (5 weekdays, plus the two adjoining weekends) between terms. I guess that might be related to the drop in standards you were talking about. In any case, I’d rather not skip any classes, since I really want to learn as much as I possibly can during my stay. If all else fails, I suppose I could travel around a bit during the Chinese New Year vacation, or maybe I’ll just stay for another couple of weeks after my scholarship runs out.

Alright, thanks. I have a nice warm jacket, so I guess I’ll just bring that. Maybe some long underwear too, since it doesn’t take up much luggage space and tends to come in handy. :slight_smile:

[quote] For metro, the fare depends on the distance between origin and destination. The distances are calculated across the network and pre-defined. You can go anywhere (within 2 or 3 hours), and the price will be the same as long as you touch in and touch out at the same stations.
See here for more info: english.trtc.com.tw/[/quote]

Cool, thanks. That seems like a rather straight forward system, so it should be possible to figure out. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I guess I might as well advertise it. Too bad you’re leaving. Do you mind if I ask when? I saw that you’re selling some of your stuff and I might be interested in some of it. I won’t arrive for almost another two months, though.

Thanks for the tip on the auctions. To be honest, I usually don’t cycle for either fun or exercise, just for transportation. I guess I might miss it, though, and I would like to do something to stay/get in shape, so if I can find a place not too far from the river, I think I’ll get myself a bike.

Well, it sounds interesting, so I might as well check it out. Thanks.

Well, to be honest, it doesn’t look like the distance from either Guting or Taipower station to Shida is that great. Looking at google maps, it looks like less than 1 km, and shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes or so, at a brisk pace. Then again, I have been fooled by maps before (damn you Berlin!).

Yeah, I noticed that a lot of the apartments in Wenshan, on 591.com, seem to be right in between the two lines. Kind of inconvenient, although as always, I’m open to all alternatives if the price is right (except insects). Are heavy rains and earthquakes frequent in Taiwan? I thought the heavy rain part was mostly during the summer?

Good point on getting stuck in traffic. I think I’ll do some trial runs from potential apartments to Shida before signing anything. When are the rush hours, btw?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of activities are those, apart from just plain cycling? I’m starting to hope that I’ll be able to find a place by the river. What about parks, btw. Do they have bike trails, too? :slight_smile:

[quote=“misterpoh”]Try using Google Chrome and visit 591.com.tw.

The translation is not 100% but the site is fairly useful. I recently moved to Taipei and used the site to find my apartment.[/quote]

I’m already using 591.com, although I’m using Firefox with Mandarin Popup (as per Doraemonsters recommendation). Thanks for the tip, though.

I currently am living near Nanshijiao and like the area. A lot of small restaurants that are affordable. However the area is not for everyone. Some people from Europe may think it is a slum when first seeing it.

If you would like a lead for a two week to one month rental for Nanshijiao, I can give you a lead. Then you could try it out before making your decision.

I’m currently living in a rooftop apartment right next to the MTC. I am studying there for the summer. I pay 9000 NT + electricity for my room per month.
I will be moving out August 23rd. You could probably move in then if you want. Anyways, let me know.

Yeah, basically. Plus the quality of life, I think. It might be suprising from our point of view, but Taiwan is a destination country for migration now. There are a lot of people coming from Vietnam and Indonesia. When you go to a restaurant now (at least in Taipei), you can almost always hear some the staff speak with a “different” accent. It’s actually very interesting what will happen out of this: will Nguyens just become Ruans (阮) and assimilate, or will Taiwan became a more diverse country (very much against the will of its political class). But I digress… :slight_smile:

Both close around midnight. There are some “night” buses until 2 am (very limited), and in some directions you can catch the last MRT as late as 12.30. Taxis are cheap though (might be around $150 for your trip), and ubiquitous.

The bikes for rent are sufficient for most purposes. They’re something like Giant with Shimano equipment (not very upmarket though), almost always in good condition (some might be not, but you can choose the one you want yourself, so it’s a non-issue). One reason you might want to have your own bike though is if you’re taller.

The TV in Taiwan is probably the worst in the world (or very close), so if you click on the following link, you agree to bear full responsibility for your actions (ie. don’t blame me for the time you waste). Here’s where you can watch it (often with English subtitles): sugoideas.com/

The worst part (for me) is the (scooter) noise at night. Look at the map and figure out which streets people will use to reach the night market. Better yet, just go there in the evening.

As for pests, cockroaches are everywhere outside anyway: whether you have them inside will depend on the apartment (and the previous tenants’ standards of hygiene), and rats don’t have wings (yet), so just don’t live on the ground floor. The higher you live, the safer you are.

Complaints from (some) people living in the area. It was actually illegal from the beginning, but no-one cared. Suddenly out of the blue it became big news (someone probably pulled their connections), and the government machine was shamed into taking action. This is how things usually work here. Now even the “Shida Night Market” bus stop name was changed to remove all traces.

In my experience, this one of the the worst places to eat in Taipei (and I lived there for one year). Food quality is generally low (students are not picky anyway), and prices are also too high for what’s being served. Many restaurants cater to Taiwanese that like to show off by eating foreign food, and they will (both literally and figuratively) swallow anything as long as it’s tagged “foreign,” and the higher the price, the more “face” it gives them. Most places there are like that, but there is also a lot of choice, so you’ll be able to find something you like; it’ll just take some time.

Restaurants generally close around 9-10 pm. Might be a little later in the Shida area and on the weekend. Some types of places stay open later in general, for example rechao/kuaichao (stir-fried dishes, also with beer on offer) typically stay open until 12-1 am. Some places are open all night, notably Yonghe Doujiang (traditional snacks, many branches around Taipei). If you are really desperate, there’s always a McDonald’s (many are open 24/7) or a convenience store.

For the Chinese New Year, you will want to buy a flight ticket to some place with not a lot of Chinese population, and fly away. It’s a good time to visit some other countries (if you can afford it). If you stay in Taiwan, you will not be the only person to come up with the idea of travelling somewhere during that time; in fact, most people from Taipei will want to go down south (where they have families). It’s the only time when most Taiwanese actually can have a holiday (if you work in Taiwan, you generally don’t get any leave, unless you want to change jobs and quit). Everything (freeways, public transport) will be congested to the bone. If you stay in Taipei, it’ll be very empty, but the weather around that time is usually crap, and also most places are closed (although less so nowadays). Also, contrary to what you might expect, there are no traditional celebrations for the Chinese New Year (at least in Taipei): the local people also don’t do anything special at home, they just watch TV and compulsively eat fattening snacks.

I’m leaving mid-July. Don’t worry, there will always be some moving sale. Stuff is easy to get here (except cars, it was a major hassle to find one last year, and it is now proving difficult to sell given the limited time I have here; it was well worth it though, considering what I’ve been able to see).

You can also try sports centers. There’s only one per district, but they’re cheap, well-equipped and offer many facilities. There’s a list at the bottom of this article: english.taipei.gov.tw/ct.asp?xIt … &mp=100002

Private gyms are expensive and would want you to subscribe for a longer period (like 2 or 20 years). As a Shida MTC student, you can also get access to their swimming pool, but it’s expensive ($1500 per month I think, MTC cash cows are not treated like “real” Shida students, not that you would want to be one anyway).

It is close, but walking in Taipei is very slow and tedious: the sidewalks are narrow even on major streets, and smaller streets and lanes have no sidewalks at all, and there’s also something about the way local people walk, which is difficult to explain, but you’ll notice it immediately when you come here.

You’ll also have the Dongmen station on the orange line (Xinyi Rd and Yongkang St intersection). It opens in September. I think it might actually be closer to Shida than the other two.

You can look along the route of 0 South or 15. Both of these buses stop in front of the MTC. Many more buses stop at MRT Guting, from Muzha area it’s 236 (very frequent service) and 606 (and also some others). Obviously, it’s less convenient than living next to the MRT and the price should reflect that (let the landlord know that) :slight_smile:.

Heavy rains happen in spring and summer. In winter and autumn it might be raining incessantly for a month, but it’s never very heavy. Earthquakes are common: there were 143 so far this year, and only larger ones are numbered, but heavy earthquakes are not common in Taipei (they’re usually in Nantou or on the East Coast). See here for details: cwb.gov.tw/V7e/earthquake/

Chinese New Year’s is one of the best times to see Taipei. However I agree. I left Taiwan during Chinese New Year’s every year after my first one. I went to Thailand, Tibet, and the US.

I currently am living near Nanshijiao and like the area. A lot of small restaurants that are affordable. However the area is not for everyone. Some people from Europe may think it is a slum when first seeing it.

If you would like a lead for a two week to one month rental for Nanshijiao, I can give you a lead. Then you could try it out before making your decision.[/quote]

Alright, I’ll definitely check it out. Might as well, really, since I’ll be spending at least a week just looking around, before starting my apartment hunt.

[quote=“Chrisk”]I’m currently living in a rooftop apartment right next to the MTC. I am studying there for the summer. I pay 9000 NT + electricity for my room per month.
I will be moving out August 23rd. You could probably move in then if you want. Anyways, let me know.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, it’s very tempting. I’d still like to look around a bit before deciding, but I might contact you in august to see if it’s still available, if that’s alright with you? Can I ask how much you generally pay for electricity?

Alright, thanks. I’d hoped it would be a bit later than that, but since taxis are so cheap, I guess it doesn’t really matter.

I’m 180, so pretty average height, I guess. I might still want to get my own, though. I guess I’ll check out that auction at NTU, if I end up living in a place where I don’t have to go too far to actually use the bike. :slight_smile:

That does look pretty bad. But that’s just drama shows, right? They must have other kinds of programming, too. I guess I’ll find out. :slight_smile:

[quote]The worst part (for me) is the (scooter) noise at night. Look at the map and figure out which streets people will use to reach the night market. Better yet, just go there in the evening.

As for pests, cockroaches are everywhere outside anyway: whether you have them inside will depend on the apartment (and the previous tenants’ standards of hygiene), and rats don’t have wings (yet), so just don’t live on the ground floor. The higher you live, the safer you are.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips on floors. Maybe I should check if the top floor of Taipei 101 is available. In any case, I guess I’ll be looking for insects when inspecting apartments.

Alright, I guess it probably won’t be that much of an issue, but it’s nice to know there are some options. Thanks.

Thanks guys. I’d love to travel outside of Taiwan, since I’ve never been to Asia (apart from Israel, and that’s mostly a technicality). Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be able to afford it this time around. I guess it might be a good time to have friends and/or family visit me, although that might not be ideal either, since they might not have a very good time if everything is closed. Hmm.

Alright. I don’t have a drivers license, so I won’t be getting a car. The other stuff I might need probably shouldn’t be too hard to find.

Cool, thanks. I guess I might try one those. It seems they have a lot of options for activities.

Yeah, I guess they can keep their pool, if that’s what they’re charging. I’m not a huge fan of swimming anyway.

[quote]It is close, but walking in Taipei is very slow and tedious: the sidewalks are narrow even on major streets, and smaller streets and lanes have no sidewalks at all, and there’s also something about the way local people walk, which is difficult to explain, but you’ll notice it immediately when you come here.

You’ll also have the Dongmen station on the orange line (Xinyi Rd and Yongkang St intersection). It opens in September. I think it might actually be closer to Shi-Da than the other two.[/quote]

Thanks. That’s something to keep in mind, in case I find an awesome place in that area.

It’s nice to know there are some alternatives to the MRT, even though I’d obviously prefer to live near a station. As you say, though, the price should be cheaper if only bus transportation is available, so it might be worth looking into.

Thanks. I’ve only experienced a couple of (small) earthquakes in my life, so it should be interesting. I hope. :slight_smile:

I have another question, by the way. I was thinking that I’d bring my phone, and just switch the simcard when I get there. Is that even possible? They don’t have some weird kind of simcards that don’t work in European phones, do they?

Also, I’ve heard that it might not be possible to enter the country (or even get on the plane to Taiwan) without a return ticket. Does anyone know if that’s true? My august budget is already tight enough without having to buy a return ticket, so I’d prefer not to, if possible.

180 cm already counts as tall in Taiwan, but renting is fine for occasional use. You’re coming for 9 months only, aren’t you?

Don’t hold your hopes too high. :roflmao:

Fourth floor is generally high enough to be better than the ground or second, and might also be a good choice because it’s “unlucky,” so it’s often discounted. (Seems people are less superstitious these days, but more lazy to walk the stairs, so the discount stands.)

From anecdotal evidence, there are much fewer cockroach infestations above the 10th floor, but there are not many buildings that tall anyway, and they’ll be outside your budget unless you live very far away from Shida. If you consider a higher building, you also need to take into account that fire escape ladders in Taipei are only long enough to reach the 10th floor at most. :slight_smile:

In any case, you should definitely look for signs of cockroaches: they’ll be in darker, cramped places, and might only come out if you visit the apartment in the evening and switch off the light. You can also look for roach bait and/or the specific smell, as well as the general degree of tidiness, and draw your own conclusions. And after you move in, don’t ever leave any leftover food anywhere in the apartment. You can get away with this in temperate climate, but Taiwan is unforgiving: if you want a life without cockroaches, you need to find an apartment that doesn’t already have them, and follow this rule.

Or just embrace them as part of the experience, as many people seem to do. :slight_smile:

Yeah, just make sure your phone is 3G or at least dual band (900/1800) for maximum coverage, and that it is not locked to the original SIM. The SIM card standards are the same. Most phones brought from other countries will not be able to display Chinese characters though, if you care about that (some can be reflashed to include Chinese support).

From my (and other people’s) experience, no-one will ask about any proof of onward travel at the border. The airline might want that from you during check-in though. (You never know what comes up, I was once asked if I had a visa for Hong Kong when flying from London.) Generally, it depends on your visa: if you come on a resident visa, you won’t need it (or just say you’re a resident if they ask); on a visitor visa, it depends on your luck. People have been denied check-in because of this. If you plan to visit Hong Kong or some other place during one of the breaks, it might be a good idea to book the ticket in advance. Also, why wouldn’t you want a return ticket? These are generally cheaper.

Yeah, I’ll just be staying for 9 months, unless I’m able to somehow raise enough money to stay for another 3 months. I’d have to leave after that, since I’ll have to go back to Denmark, to write my thesis.

My hopes aren’t that high, and to be honest, I’m not too happy about the programming in Denmark either. Still, I’d like to watch at least some tv, just to get a sense of what it’s like.

[quote]Fourth floor is generally high enough to be better than the ground or second, and might also be a good choice because it’s “unlucky,” so it’s often discounted. (Seems people are less superstitious these days, but more lazy to walk the stairs, so the discount stands.)

From anecdotal evidence, there are much fewer cockroach infestations above the 10th floor, but there are not many buildings that tall anyway, and they’ll be outside your budget unless you live very far away from Shi-Da. If you consider a higher building, you also need to take into account that fire escape ladders in Taipei are only long enough to reach the 10th floor at most. :slight_smile:

In any case, you should definitely look for signs of cockroaches: they’ll be in darker, cramped places, and might only come out if you visit the apartment in the evening and switch off the light. You can also look for roach bait and/or the specific smell, as well as the general degree of tidiness, and draw your own conclusions. And after you move in, don’t ever leave any leftover food anywhere in the apartment. You can get away with this in temperate climate, but Taiwan is unforgiving: if you want a life without cockroaches, you need to find an apartment that doesn’t already have them, and follow this rule. [/quote]

Believe me, I intend to try. :smiley:

I’m thinking that finding an apartment without cockroaches will probably be the hard part. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I’ll be able to do that, but if it comes to that, I guess I’ll just have to try.

Thanks. It’s a smart phone, and the main reason for wanting to bring it, is so I can use pleco. Isn’t there some app or something that adds support for chinese characters. If not, I guess I’ll just have to do without them.

I’m still not sure about the visa rules, but from what I understand I won’t be able to get a resident visa until I’ve been in the country for 4 months (or is it 6?). Is that correct? Regarding ticket prices, everybody tells me that return tickets are cheaper, but I don’t know where they buy their tickets. In all the places that I’ve checked, a one-way ticket is by far the cheapest.

I guess I might consider getting a ticket for Hong Kong, although I wouln’t have time to go until roughly 3 months after my arrival. Would that matter to the airline? I mean, if they won’t let me on the plane without a return ticket, would they care that I wouldn’t be able to use it for another 3 months? Maybe it might be possible to get a return ticket, but then get a refund for it, after my arrival? Does anyone have any experience with that?

[quote] Regarding ticket prices, everybody tells me that return tickets are cheaper, but I don’t know where they buy their tickets. In all the places that I’ve checked, a one-way ticket is by far the cheapest.
[/quote]

That is totally weird. One way tickets are always more expensive -not economical at all. In average, they should be more than half of the cost of a round trip. Do purchase return ticket, especially one that allows you to change departure dates. How long are you planning to stay, one year? Definetively a one year, return ticket. Tickets also have expiration dates. 9 months you say? Maybe you want to extend to a whoel year? Then buy 9 month ticket and make sure you can change the date at no cost/small fee. And yes, you will be asked for a return ticket in many instances, so make sure you do your homework in this regard. You will save yourself a lot of trouble, and yes, they can deny visa based on this.

I was talking about “classic” phones. Recent smartphones shouldn’t have this issue: I know in Apple iOS it’s just a change of settings; I don’t know about Android, but I imagine it’s also like that.

I have a very old HTC Touch HD smartphone with Windows Mobile 6, and it was a major hassle to get it to display and (especially) input Chinese, but I don’t think anyone else uses this OS anymore (except me).

Not really. Nothing stops the “embassy” from issuing you a resident visa from the start, which would in fact be better for you, but it’s their arbitrary decision, and if they won’t, what can you do?

Book through airline websites directly. Europe (especially London) to Hong Kong segment has a lot of competition, there should always be some options with lower prices. I flew China Airlines, Air New Zealand, Air France, KLM, Finnair and Air Asia, to give you an idea of some of the options (the last connection has now been cancelled). A return ticket should be about $30,000.

The onward flight date must be within the allowed stay period on your visa, so that you don’t overstay. Have you got your visa already? If it’s a 60-day visitor visa, then generally you should have an onward ticket within these 60 days from your arrival, if the airline gets really fastidious about it. But then, you have a scholarship confirmation letter, which says you’ll be studying Chinese for 9 months, right? You can always show this letter then.

It’ll be fine either way, but in your case just get a return ticket, because this is the cheapest, most straightforward option, unless you plan to do some travelling around the region (but you don’t).

It’s also possible. There’s a thread somewhere on Forumosa about that (to Hong Kong).

[quote=“Doraemonster”]Book through airline websites directly. Europe (especially London) to Hong Kong segment has a lot of competition, there should always be some options with lower prices. I flew China Airlines, Air New Zealand, Air France, KLM, Finnair and Air Asia, to give you an idea of some of the options (the last connection has now been cancelled). A return ticket should be about $30,000.

The onward flight date must be within the allowed stay period on your visa, so that you don’t overstay. Have you got your visa already? If it’s a 60-day visitor visa, then generally you should have an onward ticket within these 60 days from your arrival, if the airline gets really fastidious about it. But then, you have a scholarship confirmation letter, which says you’ll be studying Chinese for 9 months, right? You can always show this letter then.[/quote]

Okay, I feel kind of dumb now. I thought that people meant that 1 round trip ticket (which is actually two tickets) would be cheaper than 1 one-way ticket, which isn’t the case. 1 round trip ticket is still quite a bit cheaper than 2 one way tickets, so I guess that’s what you guys meant. :blush:

Anyway, before applying for visa (which I haven’t done yet), I must be able to supply the embassy with a copy of my ticket, so I wouldn’t know what my stay period will end up being. I’m guessing 3 months on a visitors visa. Maybe I’ll just get a return ticket within that period, but then change the date. I do have my scholarship letter, but I’d rather have everything in order, if possible, to avoid problems.

[quote]I was talking about “classic” phones. Recent smartphones shouldn’t have this issue: I know in Apple iOS it’s just a change of settings; I don’t know about Android, but I imagine it’s also like that.

I have a very old HTC Touch HD smartphone with Windows Mobile 6, and it was a major hassle to get it to display and (especially) input Chinese, but I don’t think anyone else uses this OS anymore (except me).[/quote]

I also have an HTC, but it runs android. It should be possible to display Chinese characters, I think. I think I’ll just bring it, in any case.

[quote]Not really. Nothing stops the “embassy” from issuing you a resident visa from the start, which would in fact be better for you, but it’s their arbitrary decision, and if they won’t, what can you do?

It’ll be fine either way, but in your case just get a return ticket, because this is the cheapest, most straightforward option, unless you plan to do some travelling around the region (but you don’t).[/quote]

I think I’ll just stick with applying for a visitors visa, since I’d have to get a ton of medical checks otherwise. I’ve heard that those are cheaper in Taiwan, so I’d prefer having them done there. I’m still unsure about traveling around the region. I’d really like to, but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to afford it. Tickets to Hong Kong seem cheap, though, so maybe I’ll try to save enough to visit there. In any case, I think I’ll just stick with a return ticket to Denmark, and make sure I can change the date on it.

Cool, thanks. I’ll see if I can dig up that thread.

Did they actually tell you this? If not, don’t assume anything. Usually you get the visa first (not very important here, but one thing to have in mind for countries that like to reject visa applications).

The TECO will have their own list of scholarship laureates, and this probably is the only thing they will look at to issue your visa. I don’t think you need any other documents. I’d contact some cultural attaché/scholarship co-ordinator (the person that told you that you got the scholarship), and ask him what they want you to do, it’d be faster.

Visitor visa is initally for 60 days, and can be extended 2 times for 60 days each time, up to the total of 180 days.

I got a resident visa without doing any medical checks, so everything is up to the embassy, really. Ask them. Resident visa gives you health insurance (after some time), and an ARC, which is a very useful thing to have. Visitor visa is also too short for the whole of your stay: you will need to have it converted into a resident visa anyway after 4 months (which is a tedious, bureaucratic process), or leave Taiwan and do a visa run.

If you don’t go for the resident visa, at least make sure you get a multiple-entry visitor visa (visas are issued for free to scholarship laureates, so there are no price considerations).