Apartment in Taipei/districts/miscellaneous

[quote=“Doraemonster”]Did they actually tell you this? If not, don’t assume anything. Usually you get the visa first (not very important here, but one thing to have in mind for countries that like to reject visa applications).

The TECO will have their own list of scholarship laureates, and this probably is the only thing they will look at to issue your visa. I don’t think you need any other documents. I’d contact some cultural attaché/scholarship co-ordinator (the person that told you that you got the scholarship), and ask him what they want you to do, it’d be faster.[/quote]

Well, the website of the local representation says I need to supply proof of purchase of an outbound airline ticket. I guess that means the return ticket, though, right?

I actually already asked the local cultural attaché, and he told me to just follow the guidelines on their website. I guess I’ll call him up again to ask about the visitor/resident visa thing. Even though I assume that the medical checks will be more expensive in Denmark, I haven’t actually checked the price, and getting a resident visa from home sounds like it might save me a lot of hassle.

[quote]Visitor visa is initally for 60 days, and can be extended 2 times for 60 days each time, up to the total of 180 days.

I got a resident visa without doing any medical checks, so everything is up to the embassy, really. Ask them. Resident visa gives you health insurance (after some time), and an ARC, which is a very useful thing to have. Visitor visa is also too short for the whole of your stay: you will need to have it converted into a resident visa anyway after 4 months (which is a tedious, bureaucratic process), or leave Taiwan and do a visa run.

If you don’t go for the resident visa, at least make sure you get a multiple-entry visitor visa (visas are issued for free to scholarship laureates, so there are no price considerations).[/quote]

Weird that the visitor visa is only 60 days, though, since Denmark is visa exempt for up to 90 days. Too bad I can’t just renew my visa exempt status. :smiley:

Alright, I’ll try calling up Mr. Chu and ask him what he thinks. Thanks. :slight_smile:

The airline might prevent you from boarding without a return ticket. However I have been in and out of Taiwan 20 times and have never been asked to show proof of a return flight to an immigration officer.

The airline might prevent you from boarding without a return ticket. However I have been in and out of Taiwan 20 times and have never been asked to show proof of a return flight to an immigration officer.[/quote]

…because your flight information shows up on his screen when he swipes your passport and give him your filled out forms and such. If he asks, it is to reconfirm this data. The airlines send the list to customs and immigration before you set foot -while still on flight. That’s how (well, actually, on of the ways) they are waiting in the wings for suspect flyers. :wink:

The airline might prevent you from boarding without a return ticket. However I have been in and out of Taiwan 20 times and have never been asked to show proof of a return flight to an immigration officer.[/quote]

…because your flight information shows up on his screen when he swipes your passport and give him your filled out forms and such. If he asks, it is to reconfirm this data. The airlines send the list to customs and immigration before you set foot -while still on flight. That’s how (well, actually, on of the ways) they are waiting in the wings for suspect flyers. :wink:[/quote]

Yes, but I have entered Taiwan on a one way ticket before.

Well, you are a repeat customer, anyways. :laughing: A newcomer I guess it would be different. Anyways, as to the OP, it is better to have all his ducks lined up and see how his visa procedure goes. Not that I have much hopes for him asking the cultural attache, as even the MOFA guys can be a bit thrown about visa procedures.

Haha, yes, that was actually the impression I got when I talked to him. I guess I’ll try ordering a return ticket, where the date can be changed. Then I’ll apply for a resident visa, and if that doesn’t work out, I’ll have to settle for a visitor visa.

Thanks again for the help, everyone. You’ve been great, and it’s good to know there’s a forum like this, where I can seek help once I’ve arrived. :slight_smile:

If anyone’s up for a beer or a cup of coffee, sometime in late august, let me know. :slight_smile:

I just thought I’d post an update, in case anyone here is at all interested:

I’ve been in Taipei for 6 days now. I spent the first couple of days just walking around different parts of the city, to get a feel for the city and the different districts. This included a long walk from Xindian MTC station to the Shi-Da area. There has been much sweating.

Saturday and sunday were spent on hunting for a place to live, and today I found place. It’s a taifan in Jingmei, somewhere between the MTC and the river, but with no more than a 5 minutes walk to either place. It’s very clean, seems quiet, has air conditioning, fridge and tv, as well as shared washing machine and dryer (the dryer costs 40NT$ per use, but that seems reasonable), and the landlady seems nice (and lives elsewhere). The rent is 7500NT$ + electricity.

It should be noted that I would never, ever have been able to find this by myself. An incredibly kind member of this community (whose name I don’t know if I’m free to disclose) offered to help me, and spent all saturday and sunday walking around Taipei with me, as well as letting me stay at his place until I found my own. He isn’t Chinese, by the way (but does speak fluent mandarin), so contrary to what I’ve read elsewhere, it is possible for westeners to find a good deal.

The only problem that I’ve had so far, is that there was a mix-up with my scholarship, which has been registered at the wrong school. It should be sorted out tomorrow or tuesday, but it will probably mean that I’ll have to pay a late registration fee. No big deal, really.

Thanks again, everybody. :slight_smile: