Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)

Found this organic unpasteurized with mother at Jason’s. Not cheap around NT$360 per bottle but should last a long time at a couple tablespoons per day.

20191015_204926

1 Like

I learned something new today: “Mother of vinegar”

mother%20of%20vinegar

Ewww

Interesting. I never heard of that term either. Googled it… So its basically vinegar bacterial spooge. Gotta love marketing.

Less work on filtration and separation for more money for it. I bet the old folks are seeing it thinking, ya we told you so. But you still went ahead and took out the healthiest part, wasting time money and resources. Just cause your scared of a little bacteria excrement…jeeze.

1 Like

So mother is basically the same thing as in any fermented drink like beer, wine, sake etc. which is usually removed except in something like kombucha.

Where’s the Father of Vinegar? Is he a deadbeat dad? Or is Vinegar a bastard child?

2 Likes

I thought the general consensus was one tablespoon a day … and it hits on the teeth, clean up after drinking it.

Maybe Hippocrates.

Yeah usually one tablespoon in a glass of water per day some people say two is okay and drink with a straw or rinse mouth after.

Also can share :roll:

Half cup of mineral water (with bubbles) and half cup of Cranberry juice (from concentrate) and tablespoon of apple cider vinegar is really nice if you like cold drinks.

Costco Neihu has two-pack (32fl x 2) Vermont Village brand, organic/raw/unfiltered/with mother and only 349NT for two bottles.

1 Like

No. Always drink this diluted. You could harm your throat seriously and definitely your teeth. Never drink ACV pure.

It is very good if you drink it regularly to deal with kidney stones.

Ya dilute vinegar.

Also add a tablespoon of lemon juice for kidney stones and general health.

what is it that makes apple cider vinegar so popular over other vinegars? I assume the plain white stuff has nearly no nutrition. But what other typea like red wine, pineapple etc? Is there something apecicially amazing about apple based vinegar?

it has very good marketing basically, and is the latest craze in finding a quick fix to a sedentary life style and bad eating habits. The flavored vinegars are all heavy in sugar, otherwise they would be quite disgusting.
the health benefits are not medically proven on large scale, just bits and pieces of small research done here and there.
if you eat less and execersize more you will gain more health than through ACV.

1 Like

ACV is not a flavored vinegar (meaning premade vinegar + a fruit) or ‘infused vinegar’.
It’s a fermentation process that uses raw apples and the sugars are converted to alcohol and then turned into a vinegar. There is very little sugar in it (no carbs in it) and it does not taste good even mixed with water. I cannot imagine drinking it straight (a ACV ‘straight shots’ youtube challenge :joy::joy:)

I would guess these are verified estimates, but 100g of ACV has only 0.4g of sugar while your run-of-the-mill apple has 10g of sugar per 100g.

Having said this, there is no nutritional value to ACV. It is a flavor that you can add to a drink or use when cooking, making a sauce, salad dressing ect. Certainly using it for weight loss should not be your main goal aside for possible placebo effect. :slightly_smiling_face:

And you really shouldn’t drink more than 1 tablespoon per day (diluted of course).

So basically its a fad? Certainly seems so based on the types of people promoting it a lot. But i have no idea. We use it in sauce formulation based on flavor but never did figure out why its so popular. All the health nuts are on about it though. Must be a reason? Or its just the new quinoa scam.

I want to remind people that water has no nutritional value either.

With the internet everyone and everything is looking for “content”. And people are copying and re-posting stuff and so it might seem like it is everywhere when you see stuff like 10 Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar, or ACV to get Slim. Just people looking for something new to write about and do a video about.

But most vinegar, besides flavor, ‘may’ have benefits. Mostly having to do with digestion and some things that are not easily quantifiable by a study. ACV is ‘thought’ to have good affect on your skin, and it is hard to deny that it ‘could’ be true for some people. Things like weight loss or using to lower blood sugar should taken with a wary eye.

I use it almost daily usually after playing tennis or table tennis (always at night) with some mineral water and cranberry juice as it is really tasty and I do feel like it might help with my sleep…but certainly I would not ‘claim’ that as a fact.

Also when I’m talking about ‘no nutritional value’ I’m talking about the nutritional facts on the label, in terms of sugars, carbs, fats, sodium, ect…not necessarily about it’s value to the human body. Coke and Pepsi ‘has’ nutritional value with lots of sugars and some carbs, but it is obviously not good for the body.

1 Like

ACV has no nutritional value but it has at least 5 science based benefits.

It’s been around a long time and my grandmother used to take it but she’s dead now so maybe it doesn’t work.

Yeah it’s kind of going up in popularity in the last couple years.

Yes all good points. But back to my original question. Where does it stand against other vinegars?

It is easy to see how it could be different. For example rice, corn, grape and apple vinegars have very different source plants with very different chemistry. Not debating but am very curious why apple has become the fad?